Ralph Jones (Rest In Peace)

John Morris

It is with deep regret to say that our friend Ralph Jones has passed away.

His grand daughter contacted me with the news. We will update this sad news as the information becomes available.

We love ya Ralph!

606cb69b1804f-sm.png
WWW.EBERLEFISHERFUNERALHOME.COM

Obituary for Ralph A Jones | JONES Ralph Allen Jones, 85, of London, Ohio went home to the waiting arms of the Lord and...

Ralph will be greatly missed. i never had the opportunity to meet him but from his posts and from others he was a busy bee of a worker and if an answer was needed on wood or finish he was the go to. Always looked forward to his posts from answering questions to the quizs.

Maybe we could dig up the old quiz he posted weekly?

Ralph, I never knew you, but I do know you.  You are my brother.  You are one that has done the same thing many of us have.  Thank you for your help in keeping our country great, even with all the problems we have.  God Bless you and your family.  You will be in our prayers.  Rest In Peace, brother.

Though I had spoken with Ralph on the phone, I never had the privilege to meet him in person.  Ralph is an icon, larger than life for those in the woodworking community and leaves a void that cannot be filled.  We mourn and grieve but Ralph is where there is no more sorry and no more pain.  Well done Ralph! You have run the race and finished well.

I never had the opportunity to meet Ralph but I knew him on Wood Magazine woodworking forum.  He answer several woodworking question over the years that had help me.  Found him again few years ago on Facebook and follow him as he posted things he had made.  Knew he was fighting cancer but had not seen his post for several months.  I'm sadden that we all lost someone who dedicated his life in not only doing but also teaching woodworking to anybody who wanted to learn.

RIP Ralph, we will miss you.

My recollection - I always followed Ralph's quizzes on the Wood forum and his answers to questions he might answer.  Some few years back the wife had a business trip to spend several days in Columbus.  I was planning to tag along as I had never been there.  I contacted Ralph and arranged to meet him one morning in London  so that we would visit and talk wood.  It was much more than that, I don't know if anyone could simply "visit" with Ralph while he was on his feet!  I met up with him at his school and workshop where he was teaching the trade to some young folks.  The school occupied a portion of an old building in London, OH - but the best part of it was that he had the whole second floor.  On the second floor he had a huge circular rotating stage platform that he used, and maybe even performed on?, the old TV series Hee Haw.  From there we jumped in his pick up and he gave me a tour of the historic homes and downtown of London.  He was certainly proud of his furniture and school; but as we toured the area Ralph would point out the work he had done on many, if not most, of those fine old homes.  Pointing out mouldings, and trims and porches and doors & windows that he had done custom work on to match the other period pieces on the homes.  And then we had lunch.  We had driven by the county courthouse on the tour and I had remarked that I would like to see it.  During lunch he told me to drop his name if I was planning to go over to the courthouse.  I did, and I did.  At the clerk's office I simply introduced myself as a visitor to London and that I have an interest in seeing old courthouses and that I was in town to visit with Ralph Jones with whom I had just spent the morning.  Oh, we know Ralph!  And I got the grand tour of the whole building.  Quite honestly, one of the - if not the nicest county courthouses I've had the opportunity to visit - and I've done 100 or so.

I wanted to get back and visit Ralph again.  Our son moved to Columbus a couple years ago and I've been up - but each of those trips were rather packed and I didn't take the time to go back out to London.  My loss, and I certainly regret not having done so.  But I sure have a great memory of the trip out I did make.

Archived