Jump to content

kmealy

Members
  • Content Count

    3,861
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    5

Everything posted by kmealy

  1. Got the detached parts back into the shop today. Will be back Monday to (hopefully) finish up and get the rest home. The lid has seen better days and will likely need stripped and refinished. I think it's too far gone to be refreshed. Here are some of the parts that will be converted into shelves and the keyboard that will be salvaged. Before images Top, keyboard cover, and music stand in the shop Keyboard assembly
  2. I had one tool that, while it had a hex socket, seemed to work OK on the tuning pegs. They were under a lot of tension so we loosened them all up, worked on removing from the pins on the sound board and ended up cutting them off. The first couple went shooting across the room and from then on, one person cut and the other held the strings. I have a neighbor that does "scrapping" and I'm going to see if he wants the cast iron harp frame.
  3. No word on the monkeys, but I have not seen a lot of news the last couple days. monkeys on the loose
  4. Looks great. Your miters are much tighter than the Sketchup
  5. Spent a good part of the day today working on this project. 50ish year old piano made in Cincinnati. A long road of discovery. My aim was to be able to get out the "harp" -- the cast iron frame with the strings. This will, I hope, significantly reduce the weight down from 500-600 pounds and needs to come out anyway for the conversion. So got apart: 90% of the harp the lid the music stand the keyboard the keyboard cover the strings the dampeners Details: A piano has 88 keys, but most of the keys hav
  6. Last week at the Furniture Bank, I tried to chip down the repairs and assemblies while my buddies were putting cubbies together. For a while there was a box sitting there, about 2' square and 3" high. The outside had a picture of an Adirondack chair. I kept looking for more boxes as it was no where near big enough. It said something like assemble the chair before the table. Since another box was not to be found for several weeks, I finally opened it up. I got it assembled. (The chair in the background is a normal-sized dining chair).
  7. Saw another video today with some variations. Rather than one loop to saw out the drawer, he cut the sides, top and bottom first, with a little 'bump' in each. Then glued back together. The 'bump' kept them aligned. The inside corners were more square than radiused. Then front and back of drawer, while the "carcass" dried. Then glued on the back piece and cut the outside profile of the whole box. Because of four saw kerfs instead of one, he had to do a lot of sanding, relatively speaking, on the outside of the drawer to get it to fit into
  8. Got a new riding mower for the Missus
  9. RIP Ralph. Remember to keep your hands 6" away from blades.
  10. Jonathan Swift: "He was a bold man that first ate an oyster."
  11. Rattle can shellac. Walnut salvaged from a church door, curly maple salvaged from a muzzle-loader trimmings.
  12. Tried my hand at a bandsawn box from some wood in the wood pile. I tried to make the sides 3/8" and by the time I got rounded over edges and sanded, I think 1/2" would have worked better. Also, my bandsaw blade didn't like the 5/16" radius, so wider curves next time. Had a few tries to get a pull handle that didn't overwhelm the box. Needs a bit more finish and it's ready to go.
  13. I'm (semi-)famous Yahoo Mail - Save The Earth_ Donate Furniture.pdf
×
×
  • Create New...