Trim router recommendation?

We'd like to get a trim router for the furniture bank.   So I'd say it would get about as much abuse as in a High School shop.  At this point all we're going to use it for are 1/8" round-overs to soften edges.

All signs point to the Bosch Colt, but the reviews I find are 8-10 years old.   Dewalt and Ridgid seem like runners up.  Fe$tool is too expen$ive.  Corded is probably the way we'll go

Any recommendations from experience?

Edited by kmealy

I have the Ridgid. It is a rebuilt unit. Works well , has a rudimentary depth adjustment . Comes in a nice case and has a very long cord. It does what I want and was not expensive . But I would enjoy a better depth adjustment. The plug has a light to show power when plugged in. It also has adjustable speed control which is easy to reach but is not marked to extrapolate the speed. Switch is a toggle . By the way the case has snap in slots for bit storage. I would not say it is the best but not the worst also.

I've still resisted buying one, and probably won't. But everything time I get the urge and look into them, the Bosch is usually mentioned as the only one worth considering. That said, I did see a few recos for the Rigid. The warranty may make that preferable ( I guess it has the LSA). but it may not apply to the Furniture Bank.

Most guys here have never owned but one trim router and maybe not even one , yet!!. I have many large routers but only one trim router. Getting recommendations from hobbiest would not be the best way to find out anything...

I decided to go the garage sale, craigs list route with out asking anyone. This way if it don't suit my taste I don't have a lot invested. Can it and go find another brand and see what I got there.

I noticed where Bosch owns, Dremel and Roto Zip

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Ridgid and the Bosch...like them both.

First bought the Ridgid because it felt most comfortable in my hand after checking out a bunch of 'em...then bought the Colt (recently) because I left the Ridgid in my "satellite shop" and I needed a trim router (that day).

Now I grab either one and they both feel good...(BTW...I now keep one in the truck (mobile satellite shop)...don't need to buy a third...LOL)

Buy either one but make sure the clamping is adjusted to hold firmly before you use it...both slipped on me first time outta da box...

• 1 month later...
On 11/2/2017 at 9:38 AM, Smallpatch said:

Getting recommendations from hobbiest would not be the best way to find out anything...

HEYYYYYY ! I resemble that hobbyiest remark ! Shouldn't this be in the Sanders section ? It seems a bit overly abrasive ( 25 grit ). Amazon I find to be a good place to see whats popular. I'll listen to some stuff in forums as long as it doesn't involve Harbor Fright. I also buy a lot of used stuff off of the internet local classifieds, it's where the old American made stuff is.

Edited by CharlieL

CharlieL sorry for my comments. I could not truthfully tell someone which trim router to buy.. I only have one brand so a comparison to any one other brand is not fair. I use to have a business in the woodworking industry but still having only one brand does not make me an expert on trim routes.

You did get some answers so I hope that helps.

• 3 weeks later...