Hello from a newbie in Houston

ehbowen

Welcome aboard.  We all started somewhere with tools so CCC is fine.  Now owning a Shopsmith brings alot of potential to the mix.  Several here have them and can offer some good tips.

Thanks for your service.:SaluteandRun:

Feel free to jump in and comment or ask questions. Easy going group here. No drama, we like it that way.:D

Welcome aboard, shipmate.  No anchors aweigh.  We landlubbers like it here.  I gave them 4 years active and 2 years reserve.  Spent 18 months in Vietnam with the Missouri along side in 1970.  From one Shopsmith owner to another, ask away.  Some of us will be very happy to help.  It is a great machine and I do many things with mine.  Like you, I do plan my projects so that I can minimize the setups, however, most of them can be done in less than a minute.  If you don't have a chuck, just shop eBay which is far cheaper than any drill press.  Remember, the shopsmith also makes an excellent horizontal boring machine.  Again, welcome aboard.  

I have what looks to be a very good chuck, although I haven't tried using it yet. Looks like it hasn't been used in 20 years (the seller said that's about how long it sat since his late father ran into health issues). Probably want to give it a good spritz with penetrating oil (I use Kroil) before actually putting it to use.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...