Battle Of The Big Boxes

I have checked a few things online to find availability (and if it's not a regular, aisle and bin#) before heading out.   I normally fine blue and orange have exactly the same price.   I often just stop at whichever is more convenient to my route.   I do get 5% discount on Lowe's with my commercial credit account, but sometimes it is not a deal breaker.   I also hit Menards, especially when they are having 11% rebate or big sales.   Picked up some shelving recently.   Regular price $4.99, sale price $0.99.   A few months ago, I got a bunch of stuff with sticker price $450, rebate $250.

I don't buy Duracell any more for several year now. They leak and ruin item they are in.I buy Ray-o-vac,or EverReady.

As far as better, I have been told in Lowes many times when I couldn' find something,to go to a hardware store we don't care that.

So I go to Ace, and they have it. so does that make Ace better? No. And sometimes I find it at HD. But I go to Harbor Freight and they always have it, so is HF better? ............YEEEEEEEES!!!

Herb

1 hour ago, Dadio said:

I don't buy Duracell any more for several year now. They leak and ruin item they are in.I buy Ray-o-vac,or EverReady.

As far as better, I have been told in Lowes many times when I couldn' find something,to go to a hardware store we don't care that.

So I go to Ace, and they have it. so does that make Ace better? No. And sometimes I find it at HD. But I go to Harbor Freight and they always have it, so is HF better? ............YEEEEEEEES!!!

Herb

But...but...does HF carry lumber? They even lock up their pallets.

4 hours ago, Gene Howe said:

But...but...does HF carry lumber? They even lock up their pallets.

I buy the lumber from the lumber store. We don't have a Menards, but we have a McLeandons and they are better than HD or Lowes,they have lumber, hardware, garden,kitchen appliances,everything and more than The 2 big Box stores.

Herb

Edited by Dadio

18 minutes ago, Allen Worsham said:

I am very fortunate in that where I live I have a Home Depot 1 mile from my house and a Lowe's about 2.5 miles from my house. I also have 2 Harbor Freight stores with one at 6 miles and the other 10 miles. There are no Menard's Stores in California.

Looks like you'll have a Menards about an hour from you, in Owensboro KY. 

Edited by Gene Howe

I seldom shop at Menards because HD and Lowes are closer.  And, they both offer the 10% veteran's discount, which Menards doesn't do.  I know Menards has their 11% rebate, but that isn't a point of sale discount, and it is only usable in their store.  Too much trouble.  Menards here used to have a good selection of lumber, especially if I only needed a small piece of something, instead of having to buy 10 or 12 foot board at the lumber store, but they have cut back on that.  Between Lowes and HD, I usually try HD first, mainly due to appreciation for their policy of reserving a few parking spots for Purple Heart recipients.  Luckily, I don't qualify for that privilege, but I think it is a good thing on their part.  One thing about Lowes, if you register on line with their My Lowes card, you can order on line and still get the veteran's discount.  Last I checked, HD had no plans to offer a similar program.  

I, for one, was glad to see the big boxes move into town about 25 years ago.   Before that, it was a series of independents, 84 Lumber, HQ, and franchises (ACE, Do-it-best,  Trustworthy) that mostly did not carry much, often ran short on inventory, had bad customer service and kept going out of business.  At least we had 3 or 4 places to buy hardwood and hardwood plywood, though a couple of them have gone out of business.

Now, we have Menards, Home Depot, Lowe's , and Tractor Supply and Rural King for some tools and hardware.

Edited by kmealy

22 minutes ago, kmealy said:

Before that, it was a series of independents, 84 Lumber, HQ, and franchises

Lafayette had an 84 Lumber, Furrow, and Carter Lumber...these primarily all served the building & construction trades although Furrow Lumber offered on smaller scale Home & Garden items...all slowly disappeared when the BORGS came to the area. There are still a couple of old-time large independents which have carved out their own niche. We still have one in our county seat along with HD, Big-R (smaller scale Rural King) and an ACE/Sears Home-store combined.

Both 84 & Carter were very competitive on building materials, offered high quality building lumber, national brands and had great customer service. I do miss them for building/remodeling projects.

Oh, yea, forgot about Furrow (it had other names in other parts of US*), Contractor's Warehouse, and Builder's Square (subsidiary of K-Mart)

* Other names

Payless Cashways

Furrow

Lumberjack

Hugh M. Woods

Knox Lumber

Somerville Lumber

Contractor Supply

PCI Builders Resource

PCIBuildStreet.com