Bronze or Iron?

PostalTom

6 hours ago, Kevin Beitz said:

Looking at all these pictures is confusing ...

Does the number of the plane indicate the length of the sole?  

You could say there is a relation for 1 thru 8 but after those even numbers all bets are off. I am not sure how they arrived at the numbers but you will find numbers with 1/2 added or a letter. Stanley may be the most straight forward for numbering but I do not know what the basis is.

Millers Falls at least tried to make length of the sole the plane's number.....their #4 sized plane was called a No. 9....because it was 9" long.....just like my No. 11 Junior jack....11" long sole....all the way up to the #24......They never made a #1 sized plane.....the #2 was 8" long, but was called a No. 7......same length as the No. 8 (#3 size) plane

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, PostalTom said:

I haven't honed the blade and tried it out yet

Congratulations Tom! Hey, just a suggestion, before you touch that blade, give it a try first, my own experience with LN, is I can use the plane out of the box.

Nice router plane too!

And, a hearty welcome back to our forums sir, great to see you around, really nice indeed. :)

Thank you.  As for the blade, that is basically what LN said in the pamphlet they sent with the plane; ready to use out of the box, but a secondary bevel will improve performance.  I've never been enthusiastic about secondary or micro bevels, so I will probably do as you suggested.  If I remember right, you posted much the same thing at one time, preferring to stick with the primary bevel.

The primary bevel on LN bench planes is 25 degrees. This is too low for a BD bench plane. 30-33 degrees is the recommended bevel angle.

Further, I have never come across a blade that was sharpened enough from a manufacturer. Blades from Veritas are honed to 400 grit and considered sharp! Grind to 30 degrees and sharpen as high as you can go.

Regards from Perth

Derek

26 minutes ago, Gunny said:

@derekcohen  Thanks for a good explanation, very helpful.  And I agree sometimes the topic of sharpening can get like a sawstop one, dark and ugly very quickly.  I usually avoid commenting on such topics but find them very entertaining.:D

Little side note.  As a teenager my brother died so my parents sent me to see a counselor.  Don't know what kind but he was a Dr of something.  They gave me some oddball test that as I was taking it I noticed they asked the same series of questions in different ways over and over.  So I decided to mentally keep track and answered each one exactly opposite of the other.  (I seem to have some odd talent for seeing patterns.)   

He spent an hour with my parents going over the results.  Somehow I managed to flat line this test which as I recall should have highs and lows.  It baffled him.  They gave it to me 3 more times.  I thought it to be a game so I answered differently each test.  Finally we all get in session and he inquires about the test.  Not knowing any better I admitted I had seen the pattern and answered accordingly.  My Father was ready to kill, Mother had the laser beam eyes warming up ready to fire. 

The Doc was just looking at me like I had given him the ten commandments written in blood on stone tablets.  :throbbinghead:

The Military Doc's, oh yeah I had fun with them as well.  A nurse told me they labeled me as "challenging."  :DevilLaughing:

Gunny, I am not sure that I should respond to this here ... but I guess there is a relationship with the topic, which is opinions about sharpening.

There is an old computer saying (back in the 70's ..): "Garbage in, garbage out". In other words, psychometric tests are no different from many other activities - there is no magic.  It is part of an interaction between two objects/people/etc. If one part does not wish to participate (behave in an oppositional way, that is, deliberately obscure and resist the interaction), then the result of this will be nonsensical. The counsellor will indeed scratch his/her head because they were hoping for a reciprocal relationship, with the intention to help, and not having to deal with a resistant and angry individual (which is not really so unusual given the circumstances of loss ... anger is one of the stage of bereavement).

Can we relate this to the thread at hand? I think so. Just look at the responses of others who immediately act in a defiant and aggressive manner or tone. 

Regards from Perth

Derek 

57 minutes ago, derekcohen said:

Just look at the responses of others who immediately act in a defiant and aggressive manner or tone. 

Derek I am sorry you feel that way, as I don't see any aggressive manner or tone displayed here. A difference of opinion yes, but there is no aggressiveness here. Scratching head here, hmmm, perhaps this is a topic Dr. Phil should be involved in. 

All kidding aside, there is much expression and emotion and intent and feeling behind the text that cannot be displayed appropriately, it's just the nature of forums and interacting online, there are not enough emoji's in our vocabulary that could show a person smiling as they are typing, if you felt aggression was being perpetrated upon you, more than likely you misread the interaction, we are all a great friendly group here, dysfunctional at times, but aggressive? No. :)

Hope you feel better Derek about this topic, we are all in this together, learning, teaching, and collaborating. Folks have much to learn from you, and you have much to learn from others, and it all should be fun.

Cheers!