A New CNC Forum (Satisfied)

I still think it's a good idea, John.  It just has to fit the end user before it is beneficial and gains popularity.  More than likely the shared files are stl, dwg, or svg files.  These can be imported into most programs and then converted to toolpaths within your CAM software. 

Sometimes I use CorelDraw to draw something, export it as svg, import it into Fusion 360, and then carry on with my design.  I can take a jpg, bmp, etc., trace it and clean it up, export it as svg, and be working on it in Fusion 360 in a fairly short period of time if the file isn't large or greatly detailed.  Those files - jpg, bmp, stl, dwg, svg, sometimes eps can be shared all day long.

And we toss these around but just for clarification the CAD (Computer Aided Drawing or Design) is where the design is drawn and the CAM (Computer Aided Manufacturing or Machining) is where the bits are chosen, feeds and speeds are set. origin is delineated, and the toolpath generated. Sometimes this is all in one package but often you have one program for CAD and another for CAM.  Then the toolpath goes to the controller software, in my case Mach4, and it converts the G-code into machine movement.  It's a little more concise and self-contained in the Vectric line of software but basically the same thing is happening.

Many of the designs I use are for customer projects and thus won't be shared, some of the designs I've created are my property and copyrighted, but there are many things I wouldn't mind having access to or sharing if I have it like scrolls, borders, floral designs, etc.  These can really dress up a sign but take a while to draw from scratch - I'd much rather find something close and see how I can use it than to spend hours drawing something. 

Don't give up on it, we might be able to use your file sharing at some point. 

David

49 minutes ago, difalkner said:

I still think it's a good idea, John.  It just has to fit the end user before it is beneficial and gains popularity.  More than likely the shared files are stl, dwg, or svg files.  These can be imported into most programs and then converted to toolpaths within your CAM software. 

Sometimes I use CorelDraw to draw something, export it as svg, import it into Fusion 360, and then carry on with my design.  I can take a jpg, bmp, etc., trace it and clean it up, export it as svg, and be working on it in Fusion 360 in a fairly short period of time if the file isn't large or greatly detailed.  Those files - jpg, bmp, stl, dwg, svg, sometimes eps can be shared all day long.

And we toss these around but just for clarification the CAD (Computer Aided Drawing or Design) is where the design is drawn and the CAM (Computer Aided Manufacturing or Machining) is where the bits are chosen, feeds and speeds are set. origin is delineated, and the toolpath generated. Sometimes this is all in one package but often you have one program for CAD and another for CAM.  Then the toolpath goes to the controller software, in my case Mach4, and it converts the G-code into machine movement.  It's a little more concise and self-contained in the Vectric line of software but basically the same thing is happening.

Many of the designs I use are for customer projects and thus won't be shared, some of the designs I've created are my property and copyrighted, but there are many things I wouldn't mind having access to or sharing if I have it like scrolls, borders, floral designs, etc.  These can really dress up a sign but take a while to draw from scratch - I'd much rather find something close and see how I can use it than to spend hours drawing something. 

Don't give up on it, we might be able to use your file sharing at some point. 

David

Awesome awesome awesome!!!!! This is really cool. Thanks David! I love sharing and open source projects, I believe our world wide web is at its finest when it involves open source projects and sharing openly for others to benefit from. The CAD could definitely be shared then, the CAM, a different matter it sounds like. But I love the idea of sharing CAD. Thanks for the wonderful input guys!

Wow!  Look what I have been missing.  Did not realize this thread existed.  I've been so busy I haven't had time to check out the forum yet.

@John Morris if you would like to share the message I just sent you with my thoughts on a new CNC forum I would have no problem with that.

The subject of sharing files is a touchy one but well worth considering.  As long as they are licensed to be freely shared that is no problem.  Many of the files on the internet are free for use by anyone but there are some that are out there that are copyrighted or trademarked and we need to stay away from sharing them in the files section of the forum.  Files that contain purchased models should not be shared in the forum files section.  All this protects the forum and it's members.

Any designs, models, projects or files of any kind produced by a forum member with his or her own talents should be welcome in the files section.  I for one do on occasion share files that I have produced for anyone to use as they see fit and encourage them to modify my file and share their new file for others to use.  I do have files that I don't share because I don't want to compete for sales with people using my designs, they are proprietary to my business.

Edited by MEBCWD

4 hours ago, MEBCWD said:

As long as they are licensed to be freely shared that is no problem.

Thanks Michael, all content we share in this community is covered by the Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic (CC BY-SA 2.0)

We are an open source community here. So yes, no copyright material is allowed to be shared in our files directory, unless permission is granted by the creator of such files.

Per Michael's request:

Well John after thinking about it I would say maybe 5 sub categories would work well.

Have one for General CNC Work.  This would be for all the project posts, how to questions for machine operation, material choices, bit discussions, cleanup and finishing.

Have one for CNC Builds.  This could be used when someone is building a new CNC machine from the ground up, constructing a kit and also for modifications to older CNC machines.  This makes it easier for someone thinking about building a DIY CNC to decide if they actually want to tackle the job of building one or just buy a turn key machine.

Have one for CNC Recomendations.  This speaks for itself.  This makes it easy for someone to get recommendations for a new CNC machine.  They can list what kind of projects they would like to do, any size requirements of projects they will work on or available shop space.  Having this separate will make it easy for people to find recommendation posts that might answer all their questions before they ask for help choosing a machine.

Have one for CNC Software Discussion.  This can be used to ask for recommendations,  discuss functionality of different software, ask how to questions and to troubleshoot software problems.

AND have one for CNC Problems.  This would be for posting questions on how to solve a problem someone is having with their CNC machine operation.  This eventually will create a troubleshooting data base if our members have enough trouble with their CNC machines.

I love sub categories, the above sub categories as suggested by Michael make sense.

Gotta crawl before you can walk.  Probably the main question is -----------  Would it be easier, more efficient, and more feasible to set it all up from the beginning and hopefully watch it grow OR start with just a CNC forum and add sub categories when and if needed.  A decision for the powers that be.  That's why they get paid the big bucks!!!!  I'm sure I can maneuver the site no matter which way it is set up.  Make it easier on yourself.  I'm just glad you were receptive to the idea.

19 minutes ago, honesttjohn said:

Gotta crawl before you can walk.  Probably the main question is -----------  Would it be easier, more efficient, and more feasible to set it all up from the beginning and hopefully watch it grow OR start with just a CNC forum and add sub categories when and if needed.  A decision for the powers that be.  That's why they get paid the big bucks!!!!  I'm sure I can maneuver the site no matter which way it is set up.  Make it easier on yourself.  I'm just glad you were receptive to the idea.

I think if we can utilize the sub categories from the beginning, it will all be nice and organized in the long run. If had a do over, I would have done the same for the woodworking forums as well. There is a ton of information in our woodworking forums that could have been sorted to different sub categories and it would have made information easier to find.

Live and learn right! More feedback please, this is all great commentary that is helping us decide how to proceed.

By the way @honesttjohn, I know you've been here a short time, but in time you'll understand our philosophy here, "you all are the powers that be!". We only provide the means for the direction you want to go. We are always open to ideas and suggestions, and we implement most.

While it's true the info might be more organized, I've visited forums that had so many sub-forums it would make your head swim....absolutely overwhelming. Then there are the posts that can easily for into 2 (or more) of those sub categories. If someone goes looking for that info in the wrong place they would miss it anyway. I don't completely dismiss the idea of sub categories....but i worry about it going to far.

13 minutes ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

While it's true the info might be more organized, I've visited forums that had so many sub-forums it would make your head swim....absolutely overwhelming. Then there are the posts that can easily for into 2 (or more) of those sub categories. If someone goes looking for that info in the wrong place they would miss it anyway. I don't completely dismiss the idea of sub categories....but i worry about it going to far.

Great comment Fred. Very true. I have too seen communities with over 30 forum categories, where do you put it? Per @MEBCWD suggestion we have 4 sub categories, they are pretty defined as to what goes where, how do you feel about that number of subs? As a refresher here is what he suggested:

CNC Woodworking Forums per suggestion by MEBCWD

Have one for General CNC Work.  This would be for all the project posts, how to questions for machine operation, material choices, bit discussions, cleanup and finishing.

(Name change suggestion by John Morris: CNC Projects and Operations)

Have one for CNC Builds.  This could be used when someone is building a new CNC machine from the ground up, constructing a kit and also for modifications to older CNC machines.  This makes it easier for someone thinking about building a DIY CNC to decide if they actually want to tackle the job of building one or just buy a turn key machine.

(Name change suggestion by John Morris: Building Your CNC)

Have one for CNC Recomendations.  This speaks for itself.  This makes it easy for someone to get recommendations for a new CNC machine.  They can list what kind of projects they would like to do, any size requirements of projects they will work on or available shop space.  Having this separate will make it easy for people to find recommendation posts that might answer all their questions before they ask for help choosing a machine.

(Name change suggestion by John Morris: CNC Machine Reviews and Purchase)

Have one for CNC Software Discussion.  This can be used to ask for recommendations,  discuss functionality of different software, ask how to questions and to troubleshoot software problems.

(Name change suggestion by John Morris: CNC Software Research and Use)

AND have one for CNC Problems.  This would be for posting questions on how to solve a problem someone is having with their CNC machine operation.  This eventually will create a troubleshooting data base if our members have enough trouble with their CNC machines.

(Name change suggestion by John Morris: CNC Challenges and Solutions)

I think CNC is a relatively new field in woodworking. Many of us would like to become familiar with it, and possibly eventually get involved. It seems we have some real pro's here who could provide the tutorials needed to accomplish this. I think keeping it simple to begin with, and as time moves on, sub categories could be added. I don't think it's wise to get too far ahead of your audience.

My initial thought was just have one forum dedicated to CNC but the more I thought about it the more I leaned toward having sub categories.  That would keep the different elements of  CNC work separate so it would be easier find a post related to the topic you need to find.  Example:  You have a question about how to draw a star in your design file and you remembered there is a thread about that.  

With only one CNC forum you search "star", the results will include a discussion about the star pupil sign some one cut, the thread about the star inlays in a cutting board, a post about how good the raised stars on the flag project look,  the introduction that included Stick eating the star off a patriotic doughnut before anyone knew they were there, ...... somewhere in there is that post you are looking for but you give up looking for it because it is taking too much time.

With sub categories in the CNC forum you go to the sub category for CNC Software Research and Use, you search "star", the results will only have posts related to stars and software so it will be a lot easier to find the thread you are looking for.  By the way the post about how the guy drew the stars for that cutting board project was there and how he did it was even easier than how the post you were looking for did it.

If the sub categories are used from the onset then everything will be separated and make it easier down the line.  If you wait until it has gotten out of hand and has become a problem it will be hard to go back and look at each post to determine what sub category it needs to be moved to so the sub categories can do their job.

Just my 2 1/2 cents worth