A New CNC Forum (Satisfied)

12 minutes ago, MEBCWD said:

That's a good question Stick but I don't know what the holdup is !!!!

1 minute ago, Stick486 said:

after all we are being patient... very patient...

1 hour ago, difalkner said:

I've been out of pocket for a couple of hours and I thought I would post my CNC build right off the bat... is it ready now? Closer? :P

Here, occupy your time until it's up & running...;):rolleyes:

Image result for time to make the donuts  Image result for world's largest donuts

7 minutes ago, Stick486 said:

clearly not enough of either...

I thought that ice cream cone was bigger than that, I had to eat a sandwich too and I came back for donuts and they were all gone.

I guess there are just too many people waiting in anticipation of the new CNC forum and the CNC category in the downloads section.

Mike -- I'm trying to size and put together #2 right now -- that's the one she wants (the two big bass one).  Got the 1st file done and saved.  Of course, she wants the other one.  Gonna try the Vcarve eagle on the book next, now that I could retrieve it.  Just waiting for the current cut to get done so I can try the book.  Thanx again.  You're the best.

You technical mechanical geeks can have the other CNC Forums.  That's out of my league.  Plug and play, insert thumbdrive, hit go.  That's about the extent of my CNC expertise.

Edited by honesttjohn

22 minutes ago, honesttjohn said:

Mike -- I'm trying to size and put together #2 right now -- that's the one she wants (the two big bass one).  Got the 1st file done and saved.  Of course, she wants the other one.  Gonna try the Vcarve eagle on the book next, now that I could retrieve it.  Just waiting for the current cut to get done so I can try the book.  Thanx again.  You're the best.

You technical mechanical geeks can have the other CNC Forums.  That's out of my league.  Plug and play, insert thumbdrive, hit go.  That's about the extent of my CNC expertise.

On the open book do you know how to distort the text and the eagle so they follow the flow of the page or do you need a tutorial?  I don't have time right now to make one but I can send you a ink to one.

While we're patiently awaiting the grand opening of the CNC area, this afternoon I have someone bringing four pieces of 3/4" Plexiglas to cut circles out of for speakers (car audio).  He has a template and it seems like he said they want 12" woofers in these and then they'll light them from the sides. 

I have a 0 flute 1/4" bit and my plan, based on very little research, was to cut at 18,000 rpm, 150 ipm, and 1/4" depth of cut each pass.  Is that in the ballpark?  They're going to do the polishing but I want to leave them as clean an edge as possible.  He's also looking for some scraps for me to work on before I cut these.  Scraps will be 1/2" but that's close enough.

David

@John Morris, It looks like the CNC guys are having a hard time waiting- they are already talking "shop" about CNC stuff. :P

I am really looking forward to the new forum. I hope I will be able to learn enough about them to see if I want to dip a toe into that world. They (CNC machines) have intrigued me for a while

Kelly,

You don't have to be a mechanical and electrical genius or CAD geek now.  You can get a machine already built, customer support (if you buy here and not China), Software that has never done what it does now, how to tutorials, and more info than you'd probably want from your newfound friends here.  Uses are endless.  Do what you want with it and proceed at your own pace.  I'm a retired truckdriver who just graduated from a Blackberry to an early model Iphone, and I've actually made a few decent things, some of which have sold.  A fair warning though ............. it takes a lot of time and can be somewhat addictive.  When all these smarties post their builds and use all  their "above us common mortals" terms I'll do mine in 4 pics.  (1) Upacked on the table, (2) wires plugged in, (3) thumbdrive plugged in and turned on, and (4) look at all that dust.

2 hours ago, difalkner said:

While we're patiently awaiting the grand opening of the CNC area, this afternoon I have someone bringing four pieces of 3/4" Plexiglas to cut circles out of for speakers (car audio).  He has a template and it seems like he said they want 12" woofers in these and then they'll light them from the sides. 

I have a 0 flute 1/4" bit and my plan, based on very little research, was to cut at 18,000 rpm, 150 ipm, and 1/4" depth of cut each pass.  Is that in the ballpark?  They're going to do the polishing but I want to leave them as clean an edge as possible.  He's also looking for some scraps for me to work on before I cut these.  Scraps will be 1/2" but that's close enough.

David

David

Using a cut depth of 0.25 with a 0.25 0 flute bit and holding the spindle speed of 18,000 rpm I get a feedrate of 75.1 ipm

If i hold the feedrate at 150 ipm for the 0.25 0 flute bit then I get a spindle speed of 14,000 and a depth of cut at 0.0922

Hope that gives you some where to start. Not all acrylics are created equal.  Good thing you have scrap to test on.

Edited by MEBCWD