July 12, 20242 yr Popular Post comment_338708 I picked this up today, it was out of my step-dads stuff that his son didn't want. My pattern makers vises I recently got weren't gonna fit on my bench due to the bracing,..so I was in the market for buying or building something. This thing hit me just right She's 25 wide by 72 long, a nice overhang on one side and rock solid Not sure how much but I'm guessing weight at somewhere over 200lbs. I will get some plywood on the bottom bracing and it will hold almost all of my project wood that is taking up space on the floor. Once I do that I'll get it put up against the wall and may secure it to it...although it really doesn't need it. Came with the Sears vise, I've already reattached. It's a right smart better than the makeshift table I had behind my chair with the sawhorses. I've ended up with some odd and end tools lately related to a couple of folks passing away,...ain't gonna lie, it feels a little weird bringing another fellas tools into my shop . Not that he would care but I do think about it. When I get it settled I'll throw his name on the bracing in a sharpy or something...he was into old cars...1950 trucks type stuff. Report
July 12, 20242 yr Popular Post comment_338744 Sweet bench. Looks like a maple top? Very robust. Sorry about the passing of your step-father. Report
July 12, 20242 yr Popular Post comment_338748 My work bench is collecting nothing but junk and dust, but still has the SCMS mounted there, just in case i get ambitious scms case. Edited July 12, 20242 yr by Al B Report
July 12, 20242 yr Popular Post comment_338769 3 hours ago, Grandpadave52 said: Sweet bench. Looks like a maple top? Very robust. Sorry about the passing of your step-father. Maple would be my guess. Report
July 16, 20242 yr Popular Post comment_338981 I know I'm not living up to Newman's standards here, but this mess on my bench is mostly due to just chopping those 4 mortises you see in what will be table legs for my grandson's coffee table. Since the tbale is basically a Mission style, it has a few through M/T joints....and for the record i hate doing those. It's so dang hard to get the tenon to be a perfect fit in the mortise on the show side of the joint I sometimes go with a faux joint; a normal M/T for the stretcher, and a crafted piece to look like the tenon's end sticking out on the other side. Not this time, I've got 4 of the mortises cut (out of 8) now I'll have to get the tenons to match as close as possible. That aside, it's really good to get back to doing such things....even if I don't like doing them! Report
July 16, 20242 yr Popular Post comment_338993 1 hour ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said: I know I'm not living up to Newman's standards here, but this mess on my bench is mostly due to just chopping those 4 mortises you see in what will be table legs for my grandson's coffee table. Since the tbale is basically a Mission style, it has a few through M/T joints....and for the record i hate doing those. It's so dang hard to get the tenon to be a perfect fit in the mortise on the show side of the joint I sometimes go with a faux joint; a normal M/T for the stretcher, and a crafted piece to look like the tenon's end sticking out on the other side. Not this time, I've got 4 of the mortises cut (out of 8) now I'll have to get the tenons to match as close as possible. That aside, it's really good to get back to doing such things....even if I don't like doing them! Nice looking workbench, Fred! Report
July 16, 20242 yr Popular Post comment_339012 3 hours ago, lew said: Nice looking workbench, Fred! I've seen it...even nicer in person as is his shop. Report
July 21, 20242 yr Popular Post comment_339233 Another 28 Beer Cases ready for the finishing touches Report
July 21, 20242 yr Popular Post comment_339242 11 hours ago, frenchwwr said: Another 28 Beer Cases ready for the finishing touches 28 beer cases on the floor, 28 beer cases, take one down, move them around, 27 beer cases... Report
July 21, 20242 yr Popular Post comment_339262 Update to the Plane Case Has a decent finish applied..and.. A Proper Label...Brass with engraved black letters....have a second such label...where the letters are Brass, and the background is black...a friend of mine does a lot of Laser Work...sent me both in the mail... Report
July 21, 20242 yr Popular Post comment_339268 May not be ON my bench...but.. There is a table Top all trimmed up and smoothed down...50" long...this is the Show Side... Report
July 29, 20242 yr Popular Post comment_339591 Working on a water hose reel. My son decided he could not roll 150 feet of hose by hand any more . Do I volunteer to build one. Fortunately I had wheels from big wheel Yazoo mower and plenty of wood and hardware. This past week got the reel and frame done. Yesterday I assembled that to frame. So all that is left is to put braces on frame make some handles and a back support. If I had to buy all this would cost a penny. Report
July 29, 20242 yr comment_339594 1 hour ago, Gerald said: Working on a water hose reel. My son decided he could not roll 150 feet of hose by hand any more . Do I volunteer to build one. Fortunately I had wheels from big wheel Yazoo mower and plenty of wood and hardware. This past week got the reel and frame done. Yesterday I assembled that to frame. So all that is left is to put braces on frame make some handles and a back support. If I had to buy all this would cost a penny. Cool build Report
August 2, 20242 yr Popular Post comment_339844 So, what is on my bench right now? Your guess is as good as mine.....need to clear all of this off...and start up the Project for August.... Report
August 16, 20242 yr Popular Post comment_340554 Gentlemen if I ain't been working I've been mowing grass. I was able to score my lite week this week (which is 5 days off)...with no intrusions So...with that said I got the yard caught up and had 1 whole complete day in the shop No progress on projects but was able to get the bench posted previously pretty much where I want her...my project wood stacked on the plywood shelf I added... a couple of lights overhead....some more things moved a little to accommodate....and a good general clean up. I'm happy with progress so far.. Report
August 16, 20242 yr Popular Post comment_340570 8 hours ago, aaronc said: Gentlemen if I ain't been working I've been mowing grass. I was able to score my lite week this week (which is 5 days off)...with no intrusions So...with that said I got the yard caught up and had 1 whole complete day in the shop No progress on projects but was able to get the bench posted previously pretty much where I want her...my project wood stacked on the plywood shelf I added... a couple of lights overhead....some more things moved a little to accommodate....and a good general clean up. I'm happy with progress so far.. You done good, Aaron! Really like the view from that "window" above the workbench. Report
August 16, 20242 yr comment_340595 2 hours ago, lew said: You done good, Aaron! Really like the view from that "window" above the workbench. If your talking about that little hole?....that's my water valve shut-off Report
August 16, 20242 yr Popular Post comment_340597 2 minutes ago, aaronc said: If your talking about that little hole?....that's my water valve shut-off No, the picture Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.