Pricing your work

lew

• 3 years later...
14 minutes ago, Kevin Beitz said:

To believe that a lot of people is going to charge them self's right out of a job.

Not that I do a lot of side work but when I do the price is the price.  You want to shop, do so but I may not have what you want when you return. Or be inclined to sell it.  This way next time you know where you stand.  Had a guy offer me $3 for a pen once.  Gave him a cheap slimline kit, no wood.  He says what's this.  I told him for $3 that's all you get. Wisely he took his wife's advice and paid the correct price.:lol:

I like to make nice jewelry boxes using quality hardwoods, and have kept records of the time it takes to make one. It usually runs to about 20 hours, a little more if I do an inlay. If I charge $10/hour for the box, exclusive of materials or overhead, that runs to $200 to $220 for the box. In my market area, nobody will pay that price. So I sell them at $100-$150 by request, and I don't do craft shows or art fairs. Price has to be set for the existing market, what people are willing to pay. 

hat

You are right on, Hat.  I don't charge, but everyone who gets some of my work really appreciates it.  I need to sell some pecan wood and maybe some cedar.  With that gone, I may be able to park in the garage again.  To charge for my work would be like working again.  Not ready for that.  This is just fun.  

12 minutes ago, BillyJack said:

The guys a goof ball....my opinion...

Well, he is coming from an artists and crafts-person perspective. It's a different market.

He seems like a nice man, who wants to help, and he seems to have a nice presence in the market and the woodworking community. I thinks he's an ok guy myself. :)

1530812505461.png?format=1500w
MAKESOMETHING.COM

Woodworking tutorials and how-tos. New YouTube project videos every week!

Now there is a place in kansas city that will let you showcase your furniture for a 100% markup.... This allows you to get in touch with kansas city football player, baseball player,etc. .so you can find the money but most have to work with a designer or artist to move pieces at a high cost...

You really have to invest materials and craftsmanship if you want real money...

Edited by BillyJack

2 minutes ago, BillyJack said:

Will I get $48000 for a poker table like Mackey?

It also has to do with name recognition which non of us here probably have, at least not in a big way, perhaps in your local, but not big like the greats, Nakashima, Maloof, Tage Frid, Jere Osgood etc etc.

If those card tables and chairs were made by Maloof when he was alive, he'd get a couple hundred grand for them probably. You and I make one, well, you know the deal. :lol:

I hope here  soon in the future I can put some of the things in my head into the shop and be creative. Price is always important, but it's obvious the high dollar isn't as important as the thill I get competing with myself. I have to beat laziness these days as I grow older and feel less competitive with others. If you can in invision it, you can build it.

Sylvester Stallone made a comment in his movie about " stuff in the basement". 

Still a lot of ideals there and hope to get them out before I end of my four  corner shop rule...

3780119_1471382918844.6res_416_300.jpg

Edited by BillyJack