Repurposing Junque (Steampunk PC Build)

Larry Buskirk

12 hours ago, Gene Howe said:

Sorry that you two got the bug. Hope your wife can get home tomorrow. 

Thanks Gene, Funny how something you can't even see can kick your butt. :wacko:

9 hours ago, lew said:

Sorry to hear about the Mrs being in the hospital. You better put aside this project and get the house straightened up before she gets back :lol:

Thanks Lew, I've got a lot to get done. :(

2 minutes ago, lew said:

Lookin Good!

Thanks Lew, It actually came out better than I hoped it would! 

1 minute ago, Gene Howe said:

Nice frame. Old school selfie, I see.:rolleyes:

Thanks Gene, It's kind of hard to take a picture of a mirror without getting into the picture. :unsure:

As you've probably already noticed I decided to retitle this topic with something more appropriate to describe what the project has turned into over time.

The word Junque is a combination of junk, & antiques which pretty much best describes most of the raw materials that I begin with.

The old desk, most people would have passed on and let find it's way to the landfill, but I'm just crazy enough :WhoMe:to figure out what I feel was a much better fate for it. 

• 4 weeks later...

:BugEyeSmiley: Wow, it's been almost a month since I last posted any progress with this project. 

Trying to work around the weather, first too much rain and now "The Heat Is On" so I work early mornings, and late afternoons.

I tried a few approaches with mounting the speaker system, but the amount of brass just doesn't seem to fit the old desk. :ChinScratch:

So I turned on the one cell thinking cap to see what else I could come up with. :WonderScratch:

I thought about a speaker bar below the monitor, but I just couldn't come up with a design that would fit below the upper monitor. :( Then it hit me! :BangingHead:  What about a speaker bar that would mount above the upper monitor? :huh:

So I looked through my supply of "Junque" to see what I could come up with for materials.

The photo below shows some of the "Junque" along with a few items that I purchased.

1460172278_SoundBarParts.PNG.4e161077f020ecf54bd7262fe55afcff.PNG

The long boards, and spindles came from a glass topped coffee table that was missing the glass top. The board at the top also came from the table but I decided not to use it. The Rosettes, and Plinth Blocks I purchased at Menards. The spindles will position the Speaker Bar above the upper monitor. I've also got a pair of longer matching spindles that will also be used elsewhere on the desk.

So here's a few views of the basic Speaker Bar case. I'll be mounting the Front Left/Right, and Center Channel speakers into this case.

First a front view. I think this design will fit the old desk much better. :TwoThumbsUp:

1075137575_SoundBarCaseFront.PNG.f95396de989fd7e974729de596062f72.PNG

And an end view.

1069139438_SoundBarCaseEnd.PNG.99376c9df07951a077e703ecf9ee45c5.PNG

The Plinth Blocks were mounted to the bottom, and will be the mounting points for the spindles.

1111728361_SoundBarCaseBottom.PNG.61d1c9b617028eff1e0f99f10d6bfa8a.PNG

BTW the metal cabinet I drug across a four lane state highway during the evening rush traffic. Hey it was free! :P

2 minutes ago, lew said:

I like that speaker mounting idea. Will you use a fabric to cover them or maybe some metal screening?

I'm still working that out Lew.

I've also got some old pieces of milk glass that I might fit between the speakers and backlight with LED's. 

12 hours ago, Woodbutcherbynight said:

Yeah in the steampunk theme the lighted idea would do well.

Give it an early "Junque" Box...:blink:..Errr...I mean "Juke Box" look. :rolleyes:

12 hours ago, Woodbutcherbynight said:

More work, but who says anything we come up with is easy?

Work? :WhoMe:

Been working that "One Celled" thinking cap pretty hard. :PullingHair::BangingHead:

Wait a minute!!! :ChinScratch:

This isn't going to be that hard after all. :BugEyeSmiley:

Stay tuned...:SaluteandRun:

On 7/19/2019 at 9:51 AM, Larry Buskirk said:

This isn't going to be that hard after all. :BugEyeSmiley:

What was I thinking? :WonderScratch:

Well I have made a little progress, it's taking a bit more time then I thought it would.

First I added the sides for the individual speaker compartments. These stop at the front lip of the case.

2076759327_SpeakerCompartmentsRear.PNG.17166d8a86f0f0d74b7bcec6c9ccb561.PNG

Front view.

956493562_SpeakerCompartmentsfront.PNG.eb7b196e295bc6219ccd2c3d70f96bd4.PNG

Then I went about making the speaker mount/grill frames. These were made from more of the Rosettes, and have taken the most time to complete. First I added 1/4" to the rear of the Rosettes, then another 1/2" because I felt they needed more depth.

I then used hole saws to cut the centers out of the Rosettes. I had to cut from both sides due to the hole saws not being deep enough to do it with a single pass. This required a lot more sanding then I had figured on. I also drilled blind holes into the sides of the Rosettes for locating a pair of Spindles. These still need more sanding.

1462072929_SpeakerMountframes.PNG.020c92f80a14a76bfc04bed0674db1f9.PNG

And for your enjoyment, a mock up of what this mess will somewhat look like.

62837935_MockUp.PNG.af719c242a1e28c63066016915248761.PNG

I'll be installing Craft Glass (Stained Glass) into the openings between the speakers. This glass will be backlit using LED's.

For the speaker grills I'll be using some repurposed Caning from an old chair. The speakers will get mounted from the rear with the caning fabric between them and the mounting frames.

Time to do more sanding....