August 27, 20206 yr Popular Post comment_240491 Just picked up a couple small boards of Oak wood and a 30 inch by 1 inch piece of polar so its going to be polar Oak and Polar pen barrels for days. Gotta get some bowl blanks for Christmas gifts gotta get started on that this month. Also this month upcoming going to be putting together a new planter for a plant that is sitting in a plastic tub which it has seriously outgrown and I'm honestly tired of the danged thing falling over when it gets too windy outside LOL. Edited August 27, 20206 yr by AndrewB Report
August 27, 20206 yr Popular Post comment_240519 What's on my bench, right now? Well, there is this 5/4 Ash cleat, screwed to a 3/4" pine plywood base....bolted to that Is a very heavy vise. jaws are 4" wide...figured I could move this vise out to the bench, where I could use it a bit better.. Monarch No. 215....has a lion's head logo...and a date stamp of 10-45....Oct. 1945. And, when not in use, I can close it up, and stash over on a shelf. Also, that new grinder is now sitting where the old grinder was... Switch is a pull "ON" push "OFF" sort of thing. Held down to this shelf/bench with two bolts.....trying to attach a nut and washer to the left side bolt,,,found a nail..the hard way.. Yep, that's going to leave a mark....the old grinder? Screwed down to a base....base is screwed down to a 3/4" pine scrap.. So, when I'm not doing any buffing, this can be set over on the shelf with the vise....first I need to clear a shelf off for these two. There IS a Power Strip behind the bench, for shop lights, and the bandsaw....figure the grinder/buffer can use it too... Report
August 27, 20206 yr Popular Post comment_240534 One more 3D wood puzzle. This was a bit more complex than the jewelry box, but was an excuse to be in the shop. Now it's time to find something else to do. It does move on its own with a large winding spring. Edited August 27, 20206 yr by Al B Report
August 27, 20206 yr Popular Post comment_240535 Looks like I'm back in the saddle again... Edited August 27, 20206 yr by BillyJack Report
August 28, 20206 yr Popular Post comment_240540 Just checking out the grain on this piece of koa. May make some nice straight razor scales.......... Report
August 28, 20206 yr comment_240573 Wow, a bunch of great stuff going on yesterday! 21 hours ago, PatriotWoodturning said: Love making shavings! Doug, that looks like a great turning station you have. What type of wood are you working with in that pic? 15 hours ago, steven newman said: What's on my bench, right now? Steven, that is a great way to fit more tools into a limited space. I have a grinder and an old miter saw fastened to bases like that. 12 hours ago, Al B said: One more 3D wood puzzle. Al, another super project. How may pieces were in this puzzle? Will these be gifts, or only for you own enjoyment? 12 hours ago, BillyJack said: Looks like I'm back in the saddle again.. BillyJack, great to see you doing well enough to get back on it! Please post up a lot of PIPs on this, looks like it will be a sight to behold and certainly evoke questions so that we can all learn a thing or two 11 hours ago, Thad said: Just checking out the grain on this piece of koa. May make some nice straight razor scales.......... That looks like a beautiful piece of koa Thad. Will the scales be done cross grain as laid out, or oriented with the grain? Report
August 28, 20206 yr Popular Post comment_240575 3 minutes ago, Cal said: Doug, that looks like a great turning station you have. What type of wood are you working with in that pic? Thanks! I just upgraded from the Nova Comet II lathe to this one. This is actually the first bowl I turned on this lathe. This is a piece of Ambrosia Maple I got while visiting the old mill I used to work at in Indiana. I got 5 8" x 8" tie cutoffs, all Soft Maple. Report
August 28, 20206 yr Popular Post comment_240617 4 hours ago, Cal said: That looks like a beautiful piece of koa Thad. Will the scales be done cross grain as laid out, or oriented with the grain? They would be oriented with the grain. Sort of 90॰ to how they are in the picture. Report
August 29, 20206 yr Popular Post comment_240724 On 8/28/2020 at 8:16 AM, Cal said: Al, another super project. How may pieces were in this puzzle? Will these be gifts, or only for you own enjoyment. CAL, According to the cover, there are 350 pieces in the train. I was always fascinated by the old locomotives in my younger years. Remember watching as the workers loaded the engine on the turntable to turn it around manually in the freight yard.I would cut thru the freight yard walking to and from school regularly.The Engineer would always respond to my signal for a toot of the whistle. Neither the freight yard or the tracks exist today. The jewelry box will be a gift. I plan to hold on to the locomotive. Quote Edited August 30, 20206 yr by Al B Report
September 2, 20206 yr Popular Post comment_241059 Currently sharpening my gouges, then my chainsaw. Is it just me, or do others find it therapeutic to sharpen their tools? Report
September 2, 20206 yr Popular Post comment_241060 2 minutes ago, PatriotWoodturning said: Is it just me, or do others find it therapeutic to sharpen their tools? Not sure, myself I am thinking having a couple of friends over and enjoying a good drink with some funny stories is highly therapeutic. Report
September 2, 20206 yr Popular Post comment_241062 Shew,...my first read I thought you said "sharpening your gouges with your chainsaw"..........I thought man this is gonna be goooood Report
September 2, 20206 yr Popular Post comment_241064 6 minutes ago, aaronc said: I thought man this is gonna be goooood Report
September 2, 20206 yr Popular Post comment_241066 21 minutes ago, PatriotWoodturning said: Currently sharpening my gouges, then my chainsaw. Is it just me, or do others find it therapeutic to sharpen their tools? ...I've got a few chains that need sharpening, one is for a 59" bar. Report
September 3, 20206 yr Popular Post comment_241134 12 hours ago, Larry Buskirk said: ...I've got a few chains that need sharpening, one is for a 59" bar. Just imagine the therapy from that! Report
September 3, 20206 yr Author Popular Post comment_241138 13 hours ago, PatriotWoodturning said: Is it just me, or do others find it therapeutic to sharpen their tools? I do indeed Patriot! I love sitting at my bench and sharpening, by hand mainly, everything slows down, and the concentration eliminates outside distractions and thoughts, ya, I get ya man, specially with some Ralph Stanley playing in the background, music for the soul. Report
September 3, 20206 yr Popular Post comment_241187 5 hours ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said: Just imagine the therapy from that! Just thinking about it gets my wore out shoulder hurting. Report
September 3, 20206 yr comment_241190 Yep I'm currently working on my second birch wood bowl while waiting for my stock from Cook Woods to arrive, on top of two negative rake rougher tips and two hollowing tool carbide tips to arrive from EWT. In all of this I'm also editing the video with the second birch bowl. I've been using the New Movavi 2020 plus editor. I must say well worth the bucks. Report
September 3, 20206 yr comment_241209 1 hour ago, AndrewB said: I've been using the New Movavi 2020 plus editor. I must say well worth the bucks. I just got the Vegas 2021 Movie maker and still a lot to learn but have made two videos for Magnolia Woodturners and have film for maybe 5 or 6 more to process. So lots of fun coming. I like to put in a opening and ending slide and found a free program called Animoto to some nice slides but hope to use Vegas when I learn more for it. Report
September 3, 20206 yr comment_241216 I don't have a mac. I actually have been using movavi for ages now and its just so simplistic to use. It was time for an upgrade @Gerald Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.