found a new project to try

It looks like you have a good start Jess.

In the absence of an available VCR I might suggest, in no particular order - You Tube, contact the company if it is still in business for a DVD or even better, a download version, get another tv that you can use the VCR with, go visit a young one that has a VCR hooked up, take the tape to someone who can copy it to DVD/flashdrive.

On a related note, about 25-30 years ago I taped almost all episodes of NYW and PBS Victory Garden.  I tried to watch the shows, but taped them with the thought that if I got sick enough to stay home from work I would have something to watch.  Never watched them.  Just threw them out. :D

Thanks Lew we have an adapter like that.  Our VCR only has two outlets so wife found one her sister use to have and it does have three connections but then a notice came up on the TV screen we first have to check with the provider before it will work...great, now our provider has to have a fee for that also I guess. We don't have much choice if we want internet also.

When we use to spend the three months in Colo. during the summer months we had Direct TV for we could take the receiver out of the bedroom and hook it up to the tv's in the motor home with one of those automatic antenna's that would find the signal no matter where we were and Direct TV didn't charge any extra for that but at the time they didn't include internet in their packages....I think they do now but all the providers here has lots of problems for we are out away from lots of customers and service goes south real quick...We have Sudden link for the last 10 years or so  and their signals just don't work half the time . A drip of water and those six lights starts blinking and when wife calls them, being in Georgia or Ala we are way down the line for repairs and complaints don't ever get all the way to the money people..And they told us long ago fiber optics was out of the question in our area.

Next I glue up for the base and the two bowls these will be carved hopefully.1513686052_IMG_20210304_105620028thebase.jpg.4e008af0bef5dba4bf856e9b065250d8.jpg1132914280_IMG_20210304_105614119thesetwoareforthebowls.jpg.fdf57720bffeea6adc38ab7a42e219c2.jpg

When glue is dry I will put these on the mill since I don't have a  3 5/8" forstner bit and hole saws make the wood look like heck so I will let a router bit make the holes. This is why the bottom piece is not rounded yet for this is where the screws go to hold the pieces on to the rotary indexing table on the mill..17212209_IMG_20210304_112228690rotaryindexingtable.jpg.00ac09570e2479620b6b0db6ebb0e562.jpg

I don't know if anyone is familiar with the Legacy Ornamental Mill but it can do almost anything one want to do with wood... Problem is an idiot has trouble figuring out how to set it up for different procedures. And I'm number one in that category. It does come with all the answers in pictures and videos...

Cal I have been saving wood trim advertisements for years like the two small pieces here in the picture.1826003155_IMG_20210307_085428165carvingaddsfromorderbookssentyearsago.jpg.b90a52934c04750ccc18b4eb9dc7cae7.jpg

If the pictures are clear enough to enlarge the size I will then just glue it on the wood and I start with a very small bit to grind the outsides of the carvings then wing it from that point on. And like the other three carvings in the picture I am reducing the sizes of these then kinda pick and choose which is easier to carve  but look the best when finished.. That is a double biting statement. Anyway, lots of fun just trying to figure out how the lids will move freely while being attached them to the pole.. I think I will drill a hole all the way down the pole for a metal rod 3/8" to 1/2"  for the lids to swing on. This was my thinking when I decided to not use the spiral for I will be sawing the pole in two in many places and cutting the spiral straight across would look bad???

10 hours ago, Smallpatch said:

Cal I forgot to ask ,,,,,what is going on with your glass etching thingies....you haven't mentioned anything in a while so whats what....?

Haven't done any in quite awhile Jess.  Too many other projects going on I reckon.  I do have a large mirror to frame and I am considering some design on that, and I want to do a 6 panel window frame with some design work soon.  But I haven't really been doing much with it.

Gene I'm trying one of the little store bought pressed wood thingies. Hard to trace around since I made a different shape on the outside of the base. Just another learning experience as to how the same thing over and over looks to some people????  Kinda like some of the wall paper we use to have. I remember some use to drive me nuts.

Don't know if I will be in the shop today for I'm thinking of starting up the lake pump and see if a little water will make a dead tree come alive...Its more than just a walk down on to the dock so I'm not sure if I want water if it still might freeze.