Covid19 Check In

John Morris

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@aaronc and @Larry Buskirk, we are in total agreement with the sports issue.  I will never pay to see someone go earn a paycheck.  

I feel for our teachers and medical personnel.  They are already dealing with a stressful situation.  Elementary students are often misbehaving to start with.  Then as the hormones kick in in high school, the students will sneak and find other ways to not obey or follow the rules.  College students get away from home and don't have to OBEY anymore.  So, teachers have to deal with all that.  When I was attending college, the teacher/professor often had someone else to come in to take roll.  When the teacher entered the classroom, she/he would start lecturing and it was totally up to the student to learn.  If the student didn't pick up the nuances in the voice and cadence, you missed points about what was going to be on the test.  IF you failed or passed was totally irrelevant to the teacher.  That's why I failed algebra.  The teacher would explain, move to the next function or method, no questions were answered.  He/she was on the clock and dispersed the information.  There was no mercy.  I think it needs to return to that way.  Of course, I stopped going in 1985.  I don't know if it has changed, but my daughter going through law school could ask questions and have them answered in the classroom.  She may not have done well in the classroom setting that we went through.  

Medical personnel have to deal with potheads and other mental problems.  Some patients won't cooperate but want to be well.  It only works one way.  

@FlGatorwood,

Not sure if it's the same elsewhere but around here they've gone from teachers actually teaching to using the computer for most classes in the class rooms, so I don't really see much difference between in class or virtual teaching. 

I didn't do real well in school due to being Dyslexic without knowing it.

I went for some classes that the Union put together for people that wanted to get their G.E.D. and take Skilled Trades testing. The woman that was tutoring the classes noticed I was having problems with doing Algebra, and asked me if I was Dyslexic. At that time I didn't know what Dyslexia was. She got me set up with a testing facility, and sure as heck I was. After a bit of training at the facility it was like a wall suddenly collapsed and I could make sense of things that I couldn't before. :BangingHead:

I always struggled with math, passed most of it.  Could do well with high school algebra, but could get about 1/2 way through college algebra.  I now understand many things I didn't understand as a youngster.  Wish I could go back now.  Don't know if I could keep up anymore.  

@Larry Buskirk, so sorry you had to struggle with dyslexia.  I know several people who struggled with it.  But, they have survived and are doing well.  I don't know if they are struggling anymore, but I hope not.  

30 minutes ago, FlGatorwood said:

I always struggled with math, passed most of it.  Could do well with high school algebra, but could get about 1/2 way through college algebra.  I now understand many things I didn't understand as a youngster.  Wish I could go back now.  Don't know if I could keep up anymore.  

@Larry Buskirk, so sorry you had to struggle with dyslexia.  I know several people who struggled with it.  But, they have survived and are doing well.  I don't know if they are struggling anymore, but I hope not.  

I started going downhill in Jr. High (grades 7-9).

In some ways Dyslexia is both a curse, and a blessing.

We tend to have good spatial relations/mechanical abilities. 

After I went through that Dyslexia facility I could do a lot of the things that I couldn't before.

Went on to get a 3.976 G.P.A. after getting my G.E.D.. :TwoThumbsUp:Even Aced the quadratic equations test. :o

:ChinScratch:...Wish they would have caught it when I was in school. <_<

2 hours ago, FlGatorwood said:

@aaronc and @Larry Buskirk, we are in total agreement with the sports issue.  I will never pay to see someone go earn a paycheck.  

I feel for our teachers and medical personnel.  They are already dealing with a stressful situation.  Elementary students are often misbehaving to start with.  Then as the hormones kick in in high school, the students will sneak and find other ways to not obey or follow the rules.  College students get away from home and don't have to OBEY anymore.  So, teachers have to deal with all that.  When I was attending college, the teacher/professor often had someone else to come in to take roll.  When the teacher entered the classroom, she/he would start lecturing and it was totally up to the student to learn.  If the student didn't pick up the nuances in the voice and cadence, you missed points about what was going to be on the test.  IF you failed or passed was totally irrelevant to the teacher.  That's why I failed algebra.  The teacher would explain, move to the next function or method, no questions were answered.  He/she was on the clock and dispersed the information.  There was no mercy.  I think it needs to return to that way.  Of course, I stopped going in 1985.  I don't know if it has changed, but my daughter going through law school could ask questions and have them answered in the classroom.  She may not have done well in the classroom setting that we went through.  

Medical personnel have to deal with potheads and other mental problems.  Some patients won't cooperate but want to be well.  It only works one way.  

3 hours ago, Larry Buskirk said:

They can throw rocks at me too Aaron, won't miss what you don't pay attention to in the first place. <_<

I work CCU in a large hospital in a large city. Meth heads/druggies/ alcohol withdrawals....you name it...I deal with it. Sometimes it's simply my life for 12 hours :P,......and that's ok...I get paid for it and I signed up to do it. I for the most part approach issues from this stand point,......If I ain't paying for it and your not endangering my wife and kid on the road,..then by all means have at it....I don't care how another man/woman lives just don't make it my head ache ..there could be a few exceptions..but I don't think I've run in to any yet :WonderScratch:  Those previously mentioned folks that take bad habits to the extreme really don't have a great time while there in the hospital either...there is a really good chance your going to be tied down to a bed by a buncha gorilla shaped security gaurds right off the bat.

,.....and as I said I'm not really into sports or understand fanship that well....the closest I can get is maybe how I look at someone elses work,...as in an appreciation for Mooney Warthers train's,...or numerous things that highly talented folks do with their hands. However it doesn't include the crowds,..debating the opposite teams fans,..just all the stuff this hermit hates that goes with it. I'm even fine with the pro athletes making whatever they make $..if they generate that kinda $ then good for them. BUT,...when the school system starts sports on time and school is delayed,...my kids academic team is delayed......for me it's too much importance on it.  None of this longer than I anticipated post was meant to be political or make anyone feel it has hidden meaning....I will gladly delete if so.

Just heard on the news the CDC pulled off their website that the virus is effective beyond 6 feet, they stated before that the virus can be catchy beyond the 6 foot, but now they back tracked. If I can find the blurb I'll post it, but really? That should be something easy to figure out early on right?

Who can believe the CDC today, sending out reports and counter reports. We keep hearing that the virus is slowing down while we're still averaging about 1000 deaths a day. The death toll today is 200,985 deaths, with 28 states reporting increases in infections.

Someone should set up petri dishes and do the tests.  Seems elementary to me to determine how far and intense this stuff can spread.  It may vary by mild or more serious conditions, moisture in the air, air movement and other environmental conditions.  I know we are still learning and testing, but ability to spread the germ should be determined right up front so the rest of us can learn how to respond.  

12 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

The CDC is a government agency. 

Nuff said.

That's true Gene, unfortunately they drove the boat during this whole crisis, and we shut down a nation over their data. Sheesh, hey, not saying it wasn't necessary, but just think about it, we shut down a nation over CDC data! Next thing to come out, masks aren't effective? After all Dr. Fauci in the beginning told us with out a doubt as sure as the sun rises and sets, that masks don't work.

Little sidebar comment here, with our fires in our state and all the heavy particulates with ash in the air, our local health officials are telling us the masks we wear for Covid won't help with filtering ash and other heavy particles, uh, wait a minute, you are telling us that the Covid masks won't filter out see-able, viewable particulates, but those same masks will filter out the invisible Covid19? WHAT! Talk about a confusing message.

CDC explanation.

"An N95 FFR is a type of respirator which removes particles from the air that are breathed through it. These respirators filter out at least 95% of very small (0.3 micron) particles. N95 FFRs are capable of filtering out all types of particles, including bacteria and viruses.Aug 8, 2020"

The manufacturer of the masks states they are ineffective with kids, the mask will not seal around their faces.

15 hours ago, John Morris said:

Just heard on the news the CDC pulled off their website that the virus is effective beyond 6 feet, they stated before that the virus can be catchy beyond the 6 foot, but now they back tracked. If I can find the blurb I'll post it, but really? That should be something easy to figure out early on right?

Contradicted somebody's statements.

1 minute ago, John Morris said:

CDC explanation.

"An N95 FFR is a type of respirator which removes particles from the air that are breathed through it. These respirators filter out at least 95% of very small (0.3 micron) particles. N95 FFRs are capable of filtering out all types of particles, including bacteria and viruses.Aug 8, 2020"

They are the go to mask for us in the hospital,....used to be only used for the most part on TB patients. Really not that often. Thus the sudden shortage when all this kicked in. 

Archived