Gerald

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

It's been awhile since this thread started.  Did anyone make this?  How did it work?  What problems did you have making it or using it, and how did you solve them?  I ask because I was gifted a couple of small logs of bradford pear, and I want to start on a couple of bowls once I finish my current project.  I even bought a small chain saw to to make my initial cuts of the logs.

I did not make it exactly as shown but I have done long thin ones for vases and have actually used innertube placed directly over the chuck. It works best tho if you profile the jamb to fit the bottom of the bowl , second to that is as shown in the article , hollowed . One thing to remember is that the bowl will need to be close to round or use thicker neoprene pad to balance the irregularities that show up in a dry bowl before the second turn. 

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, FlGatorwood said:

Gerald, do you think a couple of glued sheets of shelf liner would work?  I have used it before to not grab but cushion something on the chuck.  

Yes that stuff with the kind of bubbles works also. I have used it as a pad under a piece using a handheld router also. By the way mouse pads are excellent for this too