Some assembly required..

Oops, spoke too soon, the labor showed up today. An Amish work crew, interesting since it seems we were just discussing the Amish in a post recently. But these are the "old order" (I guess). They have a driver to bring them, and it's a fairly young group. There is a young lady and a early teen boy that's moving the materials around, dragging out the air hose for the nailers (gasoline compressor), and they wiped out the often mentioned but-never-seen-by-me Dewalt miter saw with a Stihl chain saw engine on it (I have permission to photograph it as long as none of the crew are in the pics). They pulled up and jumped right into the work...no stretching, no BS'ing, nothing...just go to work. My former employer could use some folks like that!

I have to say, this is one hard working bunch. Yesterday they arrived around 11:00, and by 4:30 packed up and left. But they got this far:frame2sm.JPG

The young lady with them, who couldn't weigh more than 120# soaking wet was carrying around 4x8 sheets of OSB, positioning them for the guys doing the nailing. So was the driver, but he couldn't keep up with her. As for that gas miiter saw, I was wrong, it wasn't a chain saw engine, but rather one from a string trimmer:

saw2sm.JPG

Efficient and fast. 

At one time, I was considering a pole building and was directed to a site where an Amish crew was building one for a barn. It was about 50 by 50 and no floor. The poles were 8 by 12 milled in their own mill. All cross members were notched and fit into notches in the poles and drawn tight with dowlling. 

They were just finishing the frame when I was there. Went back three days later and the structure was done. Don't know when it got to that stage, but even three days was amazing.

Edited by Gene Howe

27 minutes ago, John Morris said:

This is waaay cool Fred, that framing is straight and clean, I wish we could find quality work like that where we live. These guys are the bomb for sure. That shop sure looks a lot bigger when the walls start going up doesn't it!

It will look bigger till you are on the inside and have all of the tools in place then you will wonder, "I thought I would have more room."

29 minutes ago, steven newman said:

May have to drive by for a look, next time I'm heading for Lima....That Lumber place on the south end of town any good?

Not sure which place you refer, not aware of any on the south end of town. There is one a little to the NW (Seikfer Sawmill), I haven't been there in a quite a few years, but they used to have some fair prices on domestic hardwoods. Way south of Lima (in a little place called New Knoxville) is Hoge lumber; they have some nice wood and some really high prices.