Question regarding Routers

Fred Wilson

Blew up my "under the table" router this weekend  :-(  

Freud doesn't manufacture this router any more  :-( 

My old router had some great features    :-)

Received permission to replace it immediately    :-)

And the question is:::::::::::::::::::::::::

Anyone have suggestions regarding a replacement?????  Absolutely loved the feature that I could raise the motor from the top of the table AND when raised, a dog slid into the shaft thereby locking it for bit changing.

Forgot to say - don't want to spend cubic money on the new one.  Budget is $300.

Will await your professional opinions (and humerous ones as well)

Fred
aka Pop's Shop
www.pops-shop.com
Scroll Saw Forum Host

I've had good luck with my Milwaukee 5616-20 variable speed 2 1/4 hp router.  If you are hogging away massive passes on raised panel of course the 2 1/4 hp may not be enough, but I've never had it bog down on me.  Above the table height adjustment works well, nothing really to complain about.  With the standard base under your budget, the plunge kit is very nice if you don't have a dedicated plunge router already but that's going to put it over 300.  

Fred

I have been running a Porter Cable 890 series in my table for years. I am very happy with it. Can get the router for well inside your budget. I don''t have the p[roblem of chips getting caught up like Ron. Although I have mne mounted in a rockler table lift which has worked well for me. You onnly mount the motor inside it. I konw you can get just the big Porter Cable 3 hp motor by itself with chucks and wrenches, but not sure of the price right now. Just my two pennies.

Wayne Mahler
God bless and protect our troops that serve so we can be free.

Bought a Craftsman Kit two, maybe three years ago.   Fixed base, plunge base.   Plunge base even had an allen crank to allow above table height adjustments.    Edge guide too!    Variable speed with electronic soft start.

ALL METAL constrution.   Work light, too.    Cost?    Then, it was about...$170 out the door.    1.75 hp, I think. 

Might still have them, too.....

Planer? I'm the 'planer', and these are what I use...

Fred,

Sorry to hear that you are having this problem.  I had one where the the bushings went out and it took awhile to get them replaced, but that doesn't help with your problem.  Just know thatyou have many brothers and sisters in the same boat.

There are several possible solutions to your problem.

The first question I have is: "Are the router and lift mechanism integral to each other?"  

If yes:

a.  you may have to replace both router and lift.

b.  you may be able to replace only the motor. (There are web sites where you can order only a router motor.)

If no:

a.  you may be able to replace only the motor. (There are web sites where you can order only a router motor.)

b.  you can buy a router at a big box store and use it.

If you can replace only the motor, check with the manufacture to see if they have a replacement or Google "router motors."

If you have to replace the lift, there are quite a few available and some even have the abiity to lift the router electtrically.  The problem that i run into with router tables where the lift adjustment is on top, is that the lift handle can be a nusiance, especially it you use a bit extension on the router.  On the other hand, there are now lifts where the handle is on the side or front of the table.  My next table will be a combo of electrical lift with a front hand crank.

Above I mention replacing just the motor.  I have found that this is a cheaper approach to buying a router kit and using its router.  By cheaper I don't necessarily mean in the cost of the motor.  There are three aspects to buying just a motor:

1.  you may be able to increase the horsepower

2.  you don't have the other parts that come in a kit to deal with

3.  you may be able to buy a motor that has a longer shaft (be careful on that because a too long shaft may not lower your bits down enough.

Over the years I've replaced the motors twice.  Once because the original motor burned out and the second time because someone did not follow shop rules of no food or drink in the shop.

Good luck.  Remember that this is a great time to upgrade horsepower and possibly the lift.  If all you are going to use the router on the table and do not anticipate hand routing, getting the motor only may be your best avenue.

Phil

Phil Rasmussen

The Mountain Woodworker

Hendersonville, NC

www.mountainwoodworker.com

pmrii@aol.com

My condolences on the loss of your router. 

You've gone through the stages of grief rather quickly. But, I don't find that terribly unseemly. The quicker you get to acceptance the quicker you can move on. BTW, when's the wake?

Don't let the fond memories of the Freud cloud your judgment. Memories are a good thing, but it's gone, Fred. And, it can't be replaced. There are other colors out there that will help assuage your grief. For instance, I've heard good things about the yellowish Triton. Good above the table capabilities, plenty of power and smooth operation. From what I've heard, it may just totally erase the Freud from your mind. 

Some folks, in order to more quickly recover from such a devastating  loss, will often splurge a bit. If such is your wont, might I suggest the PC 7518 and a Jessem smart lift. It certainly caused the (not so fond) memories of my old Crapsman to fade away in a hurry. 

Again Fred, please accept my words of sorrow and feeble attempts at easing your pain in the spirit they are intended. 

Now, go out there and enjoy the hunt! Have fun.

Gene
'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

Fred I feel your pain, recently my DW618 broke down on me. I looked on line and found the parts needed to fix it only $3.50 for the part, but didn't have the bearing puller needed to fix it so I had to send it out to be fixed, coast me $70 plus $15 for shipping. Nice to have it back but the Rockler lift I have is ok but tends to slip down with vibration. Some food for thought.

I recently to a trip with a friend to a Woodcraft store and picked up a Portercable 7518 replacement motor for $299 the thing is it does not fit in my Rockler lift. Now I'm going to get either a Woodpecker lift or a bench dog lift. There are a lot of possibilities out there so ( I probably  do not have to tell you) check all your options. Don't forget if you go with the new router and lift watch the motor size and the top plate size or you may need to either need to make a new top for your router table  or enlarge the in set whole on the top. I'm not sure if your going to be able to stay close to your budget or not but good luck with your unwanted adventure.

My best suggestion is check on line about problems with each manufacturer. While I was looking for the replacement parts for the DW618 I found out that they tend to have problems with the speed control going out. I hope every thing I and the rest of the folks on TPW have told you helps in making a decision on the best way to go. Don't forget going the cheap way 95% of the time coast a lot more. Again good luck.

Fred:

Other than fine quality, I am not familiar with the Freud designs.  If you can post a picture or model number it might help with suggestions.  Years ago most router motors were 3.5" and one could mix motors and bases a little.  You didn't mention your router's ailment.  If it is bearings or brushes, I would just repair it.  If it is an electronic module, then I would remove and wire around it unless variable speed or soft start are necessary.  I have more routers than I care to count and reveal, and all but a couple were bought used.  I would check your local Estate Sales and Craig's List if time permits.  If your area has a Craig's List that is as active as ours in St. Louis, you could probably find any number of good routers with a WTB ad in the tools section.

Dan Coleman

Fred,

I will assume that you have the Freud FT30000 3.25HP router. I have had that same router for a number of years and it has been a great router and love the top adjustment through the plate and the locking shaft, so no need for a separate lift system. So I feel your pain brother (wipes tear)

ning-41vcixrmhnl-1232-24.jpg

Not a lot of 3+ HP routers out there apart from the Porter Cable (top dog), Triton and Milwaukee in that order. But I believe that these are all under side adjustments as opposed to top adjust through the plate. So depending on your table set up you will have to most likely deal with underside adjustments or drop some $$ to upgrade to a lift system.

What actually happened with your Freud? Did it just stop working and wouldn't switch back on or did it come to a smoking grinding death? My Freud just stopped turning on so I pulled things apart and cleaned out some dust and banged it around a bit (actually I banged it a lot as I was really frustrated that the router had died) which loosened up the crud and it has been running strong ever since.

Allen Worsham
Corona, CA

allenworsham@gmail.com

'Graze in every man's field, but always give your own milk.'
J. Vernon McGee

“Our greatest fear should not be that we won’t succeed,
but that we will succeed at something that doesn’t matter.â€
D.L. Moody

Gentlemen

Thank you for all your information regarding routers.  The final service for my deceased router was held yesterday.  Also, the "replacement" was ordered yesterday from Klingspor's Woodworking Supply in Hickory, NC.  After assessing all information from y'all and quite a bit of internet time, the Triton MOF001 Router has been ordered.  There "might" be a possibility that I will upgrade to the TRA001 before the end of July.

Thanks again for your assistance during my time of turmoil.   

Fred
aka Pop's Shop
www.pops-shop.com
Scroll Saw Forum Host

Glad to hear that you pulled through the aftermath of such a tragic loss. 

Surely the old Freud is enjoying a well deserved rest among the Ferraris and Moto Guzzis.

RIP

Gene
'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQYLth22Lk0l6Jdkzn9d2g

Gene Howe said:

Glad to hear that you pulled through the aftermath of such a tragic loss. 

Surely the old Freud is enjoying a well deserved rest among the Ferraris and Moto Guzzis.

RIP

Gene

• 2 weeks later...

Milwaukee has a table router with an above the table lift access.

I built an above the table life  for  one of my plunge routers that works with a 1/4" thick aluminum router plate If you want I can post Images  even a video.

Triton's Big Dog handle crank plunge doesn't have an above the table adjustor but it rises enough to push the collet proud of the table. It has that Sliding lock you liked on your freud

Cliff et al

Purchased a Triton 2.25hp router.  Above the table height adjustment, automatic armature lock when raised above table, easy bit changing.  Only drawback is the on/off switch mechanism (covered switch and safety for armature lock - won't let lock engage if switch is on).  Can live with switch.

Thanks one and all for your input.

Fred
aka Pop's Shop
www.pops-shop.com
Scroll Saw Forum Host

Archived