Fire wood bowls...

Kevin Beitz

Question on this Ambrosia Maple...

When I was cutting this tree down the chainsaw was catching the wood like the rakers was to low on the chain. The rakers was never touched. The chain was almost new. 

I had lot of chunks to play with so I thought I would try turning a chunk. I know that it's green and wet but I wanted to see what a chunk would look like. 

I'm not liking it at all. I never had wood that would take the tool right out of your hand. I tried every cutter tool I have and each tool grabs to the point that it's all you can do to hang on to it. The chip and saw dust that comes off the wool stings my hand to the point it feels like there should be blood. If it still turns like this when it's dry I'm giving up. It's not worth it. My hands still hurt. Is it that the wood is green and wet or something else that I'm having problems with? I've turned a many bowls and other things and many different kinds of wood but I have never had a wood that grabs like this. It grabs so hard I'm afraid of braking my tools. I never had my chainsaw grab like this before ether and I grew up on the farm using one for years.   ???  

Ambrosia Maple 2.JPG

You are turning all end grain.  Not an easy task.  Looks like you are using a scraper.  If so it should be a negative rake scraper.    A spindle gouge works if you start at the middle and work your way out.  Scraper should be used the same way.  Watch some videos for turning end grain bowls.  Plenty of them out there.