"Alien" Invasion (103.1801 Planer)

Larry what a nest find my friend.

You know, that manual feed is actually a great idea, you have built in variable speed, slow it down for figured lumber and shove it through for lumber that don't matter. Much better than my 745 Dewalt with two speeds. Heck you could have 400 cuts per second just slow it down.

Whatcha got planned?

9 hours ago, John Morris said:

Whatcha got planned?

John,

The poor thing looked like a scared puppy sitting in the pile, so you know I just had to adopt it. :WhoMe:

I did a quick preliminary check, and found that the set screw on the drive pulley had worked loose.

I'll have to get the pulley off to check the shaft, but otherwise I plan on just cleaning it up for now and putting it back into service. The blades are still quite sharp. (DAMHIKT :Punched:

These machines are very similar to and if I'm not mistaken use the same blades as the Craftsman jointer/planers of the era. I found four versions of the manuals two for the 103.1801, and two for the 103.23700 model numbers online. These machines are heavier than they appear due to being Cast Iron. ( Not a speck of plastic here folks. :D)

:ChinScratch: It appears my suspicions may be correct! :TwoThumbsUp:

Sears catalog part number 9-2293, or Manual part number 11812 are all 6 1/8" long blades.

Almost all of the 103 prefex (Made by Central Specialty) model number 6 inch jointers use the same blades.

Edit: I just checked the manual for the later model 103.23700 planer and the blade part numbers are the same as the 103 series jointers. :TwoThumbsUp:

Edited by Larry Buskirk

21 hours ago, Larry Buskirk said:

width of 9/16

Looks like the ones I have then already met their end of life. I have a bunch of 12" ones too at that same width, the gent I got them from made his own shaves and wood cutting hand tools from those plane blades, so I wonder if he was using blades that were end of life, or re-purposing in other words.

4 hours ago, John Morris said:

Looks like the ones I have then already met their end of life. I have a bunch of 12" ones too at that same width, the gent I got them from made his own shaves and wood cutting hand tools from those plane blades, so I wonder if he was using blades that were end of life, or re-purposing in other words.

:ChinScratch: That's quite possible, they're good quality steel. :TwoThumbsUp:

• 4 years later...
13 hours ago, Tom2506 said:

I recently purchased a very old vintage series and roebuck 6 inch planer. It turns on it seems to be working fine, but how do I adjust the blades to come down further I raised it all the way up and steel could not get it to plain any wood or how do I replace the blades? I have a new set of blades

First off Welcome to The Patriot Woodworker Tom.

Do you have a model number?

If not post a photo, and I'll see if I can ID the machine.

Sears used several suppliers over the years.

I'll see if I can find a manual.