One of the fun things of doing woodworking with our son as he grew up is watching him learn and explore new projects and techniques that interest him. :)

We had an interesting conversation yesterday on two topics, both in the Japanese drink category.  The first is the Masu Cup.  Basically a box to hold ice to keep your drink (in this case, some type of cocktail) cold.  Here is a pic of one that he provided, 'cause I sure had no idea what he was talking about.

699667392.jpg.4ab68b8f688c72460f789d1d3dc78eba.jpg

As you can see from the pic, this particular box is already beginning to discolor on the bottom.

If one of you were to entertain building such a box, for the purpose of holding ice... what sort of finish would you use hoping for a long life from it?

This second pic is of a hot tea that son & DIL made.  At the Japanese market they found a type of tea containing cherry buds.  Directions called for it to steep until the bud blossomed.  They were both curious and delighted to find the bud actually opened.  He reports the tea was also delicious...

IMG_0722.jpg.4d41bd484700c3344596a99c40cc5797.jpg

Really interesting! My first thoughts were how was it made leak proof? Also, what wood is rot resistant. Maybe cypress? Then did a search and found this-

"The small square cups made of Hinoki wood were originally used to measure rice and other food items, especially when they were still a trading currency". Then looked up Hinoki and-

"Hinoki is a type of Japanese cypress wood".  

Still not sure how they are leak proof

Cal, the Hassui finish that @Masonsailor has been using is made for wood cups and such, I bet it may work good for the ice cup.

WWW.WOODSPIRITHANDCRAFT.COM

While in Japan I learned of another finish known as liquid glass which was tasteless, odorless, and had a very matte finish. In fact, the wooden items I...