Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
lew

Wednesday's Wisdom For Woodturners October 17, 2018

Rate this topic

Good job Lew and thank you.

Steve

GREAT job Lew, thanks....

13 hours ago, lew said:

From summer to winter in 3 days. You gotta love Pennsylvania weather!

Lew,

Pennsylvania's not alone, 27° Hot.thumb.gif.4f08d5df2081a7903fa3f9980f68069c.gif here this morning.

i wandered down to the shop today to turn a pine bowl....it didn't turn out, so now i have a really nice piece of firewood for later.  sigh.  try again another day.  my success rate with my expanding chuck is not so good.  back to face plates.

33 minutes ago, DAB said:

i wandered down to the shop today to turn a pine bowl....it didn't turn out, so now i have a really nice piece of firewood for later.  sigh.  try again another day.  my success rate with my expanding chuck is not so good.  back to face plates.

A couple of things that I have found to help is to make the recess small enough that the chuck only needs to expand slightly to fit the recess. This provides maximum surface contact with the jaws. Also taper the inside of the recess to match the jaws taper. 

Thanks Lew!

made this today, alternating layers of mahogany, walnut, white oak, walnut, and mahogany.  5-1/4 diameter, 4" high, 2-1/4" deep inside.  finish is mineral oil/beeswax (food safe).  will be given away next IDPA pistol match.

IMG_3614.jpg

IMG_3618.jpg

11 minutes ago, lew said:

Nice!! I really like your choice of woods and the shape. 

materials on hand (scraps).  i had made another similar bowl a few years ago for ourselves, with similar lines, so i liked that one, and this one too.  it just feels right in the hand.

4 hours ago, DAB said:

made this today, alternating layers of mahogany, walnut, white oak, walnut, and mahogany.  5-1/4 diameter, 4" high, 2-1/4" deep inside.  finish is mineral oil/beeswax (food safe).  will be given away next IDPA pistol match.

Very nice. The walnut almost appears ebony. Someone is going to be a lucky recipient and happy they showed up for the match.

Too far for me to drive though and probably wouldn't make it past the first round in the match.

5 hours ago, HandyDan said:

Very nice.  Turning is a good use of scraps.

One of the best and worst things about turning. It seems every little cutoff has potential, got boxes of them :)

Steve

@DAB very nice, someone is going to be very happy with that

Edited by Jim from Easy Wood Tools

1 hour ago, DAB said:

Carbide tools from Rockler. Just recently learned about EWT. Sigh. 

The most important thing is you are having fun.  Keep turning!

20 hours ago, DAB said:

Been pondering on how you could make a slight improvement to this piece...;)

This would send it over the top...well if it was filled to the top.:P

image.png.f392cac94a9ae0f2ae9532831b75493d.png