72 years ago today, June 6, 1944, the tide of the war in Europe was turned with the invasion of France on Normandy Beach.  A very heroic and bloody day for the Allies.  As necessary as it was, may it never be required again.  Thanks to the Greatest Generation.  True patriots all.

• 2 months later...

My oldest brother and first born to our family was there. I am the 10th of 11 children. He was old enough to be my father. His outfit flew gliders behind the German lines.  Only one time did he ever talk seriously about that day. And only because I was also a combat vet. A laughing, lovable, joking guy became serious as we talked. That conversation will always remain in my heart and mind.

11 hours ago, Ron Altier said:

My oldest brother and first born to our family was there. I am the 10th of 11 children. He was old enough to be my father. His outfit flew gliders behind the German lines.  Only one time did he ever talk seriously about that day. And only because I was also a combat vet. A laughing, lovable, joking guy became serious as we talked. That conversation will always remain in my heart and mind.

Ron, my father in law saw very heavy action in WWII in the South Pacific.  He wouldn't talk to anyone about it but me and that was one on one.  I think the only reason why was because I spent time on Guam as did he.  It was a common bond with us.

28 minutes ago, Ron Dudelston said:

28 minutes ago, Ron Dudelston said:

Ron, my father in law saw very heavy action in WWII in the South Pacific.  He wouldn't talk to anyone about it but me and that was one on one.  I think the only reason why was because I spent time on Guam as did he.  It was a common bond with us.

I dated this woman years ago, and when she was giving me a tour of her grandparent's home, I notice he had pictures of him when he was in the 1st Marine Division during Korea. I wondered out loud to my GF if he was at Chosin Reservoir. She did not know. Later when we were all together, she mentioned the photos we saw and said I was wondering if he was at Chosin. He looked at me, got up and pulled out a photo album and we sat and talked and looked at the photos. The next day, the GF and her parents told me that he had never done that before and rarely talked about his time in Korea, even with them. I was quite honored that he showed me his photos and that he talked to me about his time. They lived in Capitola, CA and for Christmas, he gave the GF and I a weekend stay at the Marine Memorial Hotel in San Francisco. I felt so honored for that too.

Edited by Chips N Dust

My dad was in the CBs and his outfit was on every island through Okinawa. He rarely spoke of it except with another vet. 

He, too had a hard bound photo album that told many gruesome tales.

He and I were touring the Pima Air Museum in Tucson when he struck up a conversation with a Docent. He was a marine and it seems they both landed on the beach at  Iwo Jima at near the same time. As the conversation went on, it turns out they both took shelter on opposite sides of a beached LST. They had a nice long talk. I hung on every word.

I'm glad we visited the museum on that day. I'm sure dad was, too.

Edited by Gene Howe