Wednesday's Wisdom For Woodturners December 20, 2017

lew

Well I guess I'd better start thinking about doing some Christmas shopping, maybe on Saturday...

Thanks to all of the woodturners who participated in our Gold Star Christmas Family raffle. It's going to be a great Christmas for those kids!

Please continue to tag your posts. It really does make site navigation easier.

@Steve Krumanaker posted a really beautiful walnut bowl. The finish is absolutely flawless. Checkout this post! 

5a353816b9f9b_walnutbowl1.JPG.789be9d861b04979b0a0261ab2e2fda2.JPG.f06ee4b1ad913a1e85968a76b203aed2.JPG

@HandyDan made a BUNCH of string tops-

DSC02085.JPG.8e71a62ab3b9d9f62837353616eddb7f.JPG.0e68892d4bd88c8e3cb60fb053de34c1.JPG

Check out how he did it and his great repurpose of some of the wood-

@Joe Candrilli posed a question about turning and dust collection. He is turning Alumilite and the curlies were not being collected by his dust collector. A great conversation about this ensued-

We have discussed different dust collection techniques here, in the past. While looking for help on Joe's question, I did run across another solution that may work for other dust material collection.

The video is a little long but you may get some ideas from it.

While on the subject of Alumilite, turning, shavings and Christmas, Rick Turns creates an acrylic Christmas tree-

Some of us may be lucky enough to get a little cash from Santa. If you are looking for a new lathe chuck, Mike Peace has posted a video comparing/contrasting some of the chucks on the market. While the information has presents is great, in my opinion he has overlooked the best chuck available anywhere- the Easy Wood Tools chuck. Buy the EWT chuck first and you'll never need to buy another.

Merry Christmas!

Safe Turning

Another good weekly post Lew.  Thanks for the nod for my tops.  I liked the chuck video.  I have always felt my old Tommy Bar style chucks are the most accurate.  I think the newer chucks have a little more slop in them to allow the keys to work.  Might just be me and I use both styles.