December 26, 2025Dec 26 comment_367723 5 minutes ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said: I sure wish my disappointments looked that good! Thanks, Fred. I'm hoping the next one will look more "organic" Report
December 26, 2025Dec 26 comment_367724 @lew..... you're naturally the worst critic. I find it spectacular in form, design and dimension. The spalted sycamore is breathtaking. Report
December 26, 2025Dec 26 comment_367732 @Grandpadave52 Thank You! @HandyDan Thank You! I dug thru my stash of sycamore and found another piece slightly larger. Maybe I can match it to the vision I have in my brain. Report
December 27, 2025Dec 27 Author comment_367742 I will second that motion. You done good to paraphrase an old TV show Report
December 27, 2025Dec 27 comment_367745 15 minutes ago, Gerald said: I will second that motion. You done good to paraphrase an old TV show That you @Gerald! Report
December 27, 2025Dec 27 comment_367761 A great artist is his own worst critic. That is amazing and beautiful, congratulations on an amazing project Report
December 27, 2025Dec 27 comment_367788 3 hours ago, Rusty S said: A great artist is his own worst critic. That is amazing and beautiful, congratulations on an amazing project Thanks, Rusty! Report
December 28, 2025Dec 28 comment_367824 On 12/17/2025 at 8:04 AM, Rusty S said: Just finished these and wanted to show something I've been working on. Ornaments are walnut and kansas thorny locust stripes are Aspen,diameter is1.5 in. Length approximately 6ln. Hope you enjoy looking as much as I did making. Happy Holidays, Rusty Truly Beautiful! Report
December 28, 2025Dec 28 comment_367825 On 12/26/2025 at 1:39 PM, lew said: Between relative's visits and " emergencies", I managed to get my first Trent Bosch "Vessel of Illusion" completed. This was the third attempt and overall, I am somewhat disappointed. The overall shape is a little clunky and not as visual pleasing as I had imagined when first started. The total overall dimensions are roughly 6" in diameter and about 4" tall. The large hole in the top is roughly 2 1/2" in diameter. The main wood is spalted sycamore and the inner vessel is cherry. My preference for finishes on turnings is a flat finish but the inner vessel doesn't get a finish so I went with the contrast of gloss and flat. Not sure it was the best decision. A small crack developed near the "inner" hole as the cherry dried. The thickness of that piece was about 3/64". Maybe it needs to be thinner? Looks very beautiful, and appealing to me! Report
December 28, 2025Dec 28 comment_367826 1 minute ago, Artie said: Looks very beautiful, and appealing to me! Thanks, Artie! Report
December 28, 2025Dec 28 comment_367876 Considering the size of the turning it shows a huge amount of grain, wonderful work. Report
December 28, 2025Dec 28 comment_367877 5 minutes ago, DuckSoup said: Considering the size of the turning it shows a huge amount of grain, wonderful work. Thanks, Bob! Report
December 31, 2025Dec 31 Author Popular Post comment_368018 This bowl is for an AAW Swap. Shipped it out today. Mississippi Black Cherry turned to about 0.33 inch . Carved and dry brush painted. Crosshatch added with Sorby spiraling tool. Final finish is Watch Danish Oil. Report
December 31, 2025Dec 31 comment_368029 5 hours ago, Gerald said: This bowl is for an AAW Swap. Shipped it out today. Mississippi Black Cherry turned to about 0.33 inch That is one beautiful bowl. Love the shape and all the added detail work. Really impressed with the thickness. Thanks for showing. Report
December 31, 2025Dec 31 comment_368051 10 hours ago, Gerald said: This bowl is for an AAW Swap. Shipped it out today. Mississippi Black Cherry turned to about 0.33 inch . Carved and dry brush painted. Crosshatch added with Sorby spiraling tool. Final finish is Watch Danish Oil. You outdid yourself, Gerald! I would love to know how you did the carving around the top rim! Report
January 2Jan 2 Author comment_368136 On 12/31/2025 at 9:59 AM, lew said: You outdid yourself, Gerald! I would love to know how you did the carving around the top rim! Will try to put something together. Learned this from Sammy Long on our open shop night at his shop. I had done the process in a hands on with Cory White also. Report
January 2Jan 2 comment_368137 4 minutes ago, Gerald said: Will try to put something together. Learned this from Sammy Long on our open shop night at his shop. I had done the process in a hands on with Cory White also. Thanks!! Report
January 19Jan 19 Popular Post comment_369190 Forth try at the Trent Bosch Vessel of Illusion. Spalted sycamore with a maple inner vessel. Turned entirely with Easy Wood Tools and carved with a rotary tool. Finished with Yorkshire grit and wax. Approximately 6" in diameter and 5" tall Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.