July 18, 20197 yr comment_196270 What a great project, wonderful images and follow along Steve, thanks for taking the time to photograph and post! Love it! Sorry, late to this show. Report
July 18, 20197 yr comment_196273 26 minutes ago, John Morris said: Sorry, late to this show. I call it Masterpiece Theater. Real life drama in the life of a woodworker. Most days I am exhausted just from reading and looking at the pictures. Report
July 18, 20197 yr comment_196289 Great job Steve!!! Just started following this and will continue to follow. Looking forward to seeing the Computer desk when finished. Report
July 20, 20197 yr Author Popular Post comment_196470 Shop cooled down enough, tonight...I could get a little bit of work done.... Had to move things around a bit, first...just to try to fit the drawers.... getting crowded down here...There was an "issue" with the drawers....seems the raised panels intrude a tad into where the sides of the drawers go....we have ways.. Weapon of choice? Old No. 14....made a mess, too....swept the pile out of the way... Or, tried to.... Looks a little better. Moved things around to also allow a little elbow room.. As this is supposed to give at least 3 drawer bottoms....right now, I needed 2... Have the fronts fitted, and the backs trimmed...and used that to mark out the size of the panels... Ok, may get these two assembled, tomorrow. I reset the saw, to do a bit of ripping.. Those 2 "extra" blanks, the ones with the knots on the ends....well, I can just miss those knots at 2" width, which is what I need for two skinny drawer front blanks.. left drawer needed a "little off the top" to fit the opening better..so.. I also had to fix the vise.....one of the screws in the metal part of the jaws fell out.....got out a 3" long screw, and ran that in...nice and tight, now.. Will try to get a little more work done..tomorrow, IF things cool down any..... Stay tuned Report
July 20, 20197 yr Popular Post comment_196472 Steve your idea of a mess on the floor and mine are very different. That is hardly worth getting the broom and dustpan for. Edited July 20, 20197 yr by Woodbutcherbynight Report
July 20, 20197 yr Author Popular Post comment_196545 Can't work very long in the shop, still a little toasty...but... Drawers #3 and #4 are now in the clamps. Spent a little time making skinny parts.. 4 sides, and 2 backs....resawn down to 1/2" thick, fronts stay at 3/4" thick. The 4 sides were just what I had on hand...1/2" x 2" x 18"....2 of Pine, 2 of Ash. Backs will be cut for length..as soon as I figure out what that will be,,,they have been ripped 1/2" narrower than the sides, to allow the bottoms to slide past. Will see IF tomorrow, the shop will be a little cooler? Stay tuned Report
July 21, 20197 yr comment_196562 After a week of cable/internet issues (none), I can now log in and see pictures again. You have done made a heap of progress Steven! Looking super!!! Report
July 21, 20197 yr Author Popular Post comment_196589 Ok, before the shop got too toasty this morning... had drawer sides to plane down...used two planes, one for the rougher work... And finish up with the #408 sargent...Got one drawer to fit.. Turned out this is the #4 drawer...so.. Both fitted...sanded..stained. . And the handles installed...then worked on milling the skinny drawers' parts...like dovetails.. had to do this 4 times...and trim the pins a bit.. Couple of chisels. had one 'blow-out to fix... Not a biggie. Used the pins to lay out the tails, bandsaw ti make a few cuts, chisel clean up Someday, I might just get the hang of these. tablesaw to mill a groove for the drawer bottoms Got one drawer into the clamps....test fit showed the drawer back was too long...take it back out, trim, re-install...and another test fit.. NOW it fits. had to stop here...ran out of plywood for drawer bottoms.. Only need one more.. laid out a few bits, to see what I had for edge details on the top.. Clothes dryer is running, now....letting the skinny drawer sit in the clamps a while may pick up a 2' x 2' handi-panel this evening. need to trim the other drawer back to the proper length.. We be getting there....later, need to flip the case up onto it's top, on top of the tablesaw....and stain the rest of the desk.. Stay tuned Report
July 21, 20197 yr comment_196590 4 minutes ago, steven newman said: Turned out this is the #4 drawer...so. Yeah I've had that happen, more than once. Sometimes the results were not bad, other a complete disaster... Report
July 22, 20197 yr Author Popular Post comment_196648 Ok, last night...stopped by Lowes for a bit of plywood.....1/4" x 2' x 2' had more "curves" than a Playboy pinup...had to buy the 5mm x 2' x 4' Luann ( $6.54) Almost a shame to cut a drawer bottom out of this may use the bottom right corner...need a 14" x 18" piece... GrandBRAT DIVA popped a circuit breaker last night....popped it back in, but stay in the shop.... Skinny drawer came out of the clamps..got planed and sanded....stained and the handle installed... But, there was a problem....back right corner of the drawer was hitting something, just before the drawer was closed....got to looking inside...corner brace that attaches the top to the case was a tad too low.....adjusted the back corner of the drawer to just slip under...then trim the back of the drawer until the drawer closed all the way shut. Handle seems a bit big? Remember, I also have to stain the face frame to match... Report
July 22, 20197 yr comment_196668 3 hours ago, steven newman said: I also have to stain the face frame to match.. I kinda like the contrast Report
July 22, 20197 yr comment_196669 Like Lew, the contrast if very cool, love it. I sure do miss your bigger images Steve, I love seeing the close up details of joinery and other points of interest. The pics are too small, I must be getting old, I'm complaining about small images! Report
July 22, 20197 yr Author Popular Post comment_196671 Ok....Cleared off the top of the desk...beltsanded things flatter, ROS smoothed those marks, then this thing cleaned up after the ROS.. Old metal B&D Sabresaw to round the front corners... Changed out the dovetail bit for the small roundover bit, and ran the router all the way around the top's edges.. Then sanded it smooth, again. Shook up the can of stain, grabbed a brush.. Once this mess has dried, it will be the same as the drawer fronts ( same can of stain..) Then brought that plywood to the shop, found a spot without all that showy grain..and cut a drawer bottom....the screws, glue & clamps... Last desk drawer is in the clamps....fun starts later, today...remove all the drawers, and flip the desk over, and onto the top of the tablesaw..feet in the air..so I can stain the rest of the desk. And even get the last drawer fitted, handled and stained...May leave the desk there, overnight...and do the varnish tomorrow... Stay tuned Report
July 23, 20197 yr Author Popular Post comment_196710 Drawers got stacked up, for a bit... So we could flip the desk over, and onto the tablesaw....then a lot of brush work.. If'n it was Ash, and it showed....it got stained...once done, had to stash the drawers away...and get them off the dryer.. Will let the stain dry a while....might be able to first coat it in varnish before too long? Hmmm, not much room? Stay tuned.. Report
July 23, 20197 yr Popular Post comment_196749 Wow! I hadn't caught earlier that your inside knee hole panels were raised. Over the top, Steve. That's a really nice desk. Edited July 23, 20197 yr by Gene Howe Report
July 23, 20197 yr Author Popular Post comment_196779 Opened the door to the shop, just now...can still smell the stain aroma Will wait a while longer I suppose I can lay out some parts for the Hutch.....and see what shelves, if any i can use....and, figure out HOW to attach it to the desk. Thinking a dowel out front, and metal "L" brackets around in back ( outof sight, outof mind?) May see IF some SMALL drawers could be included? Single Brain Cell Sketch Up is now at work on that.... Report
July 23, 20197 yr comment_196798 Why not just hang it like a cabinet instead of attaching it to the desk? Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.