Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
lew

Wednesday's Wisdom For Woodturners April 24, 2019

Rate this topic

Topic Summary

Created

Last Reply

Replies

Views

lew -
Gerald -

Top Posters

Thanks so much Lew for a great Wed topic! Matthew sure is getting around a lot for being a Newbie, I think we can move Matthew out of the Newbie spot and into a woodworker!

As the other have, I've heard of the anti-cracking methods for bowl blanks but having you actually do it and prove it, great job sir.

Beautiful images too, I love that about topic, good photography.

Thanks for taking the time to get this weekly topic up and running Lew.

@Woodbutcherbynight Thank You!

@Dadio Thanks!

@Gerald Thank You and Welcome Back!!

@HandyDan Thanks! Can't wait to turn the second bowl.

@Cal Thank You!

@John Morris Thanks! It's really great to have all of the turners posting their stuff for us to see!

@Gene Howe Thank You!

@Steve Krumanaker Thanks! Be sure to keep us up to date on that cowboy hat!

On the post about a skew. So far it hasn’t tried to kill me in my sleep. So that’s a plus. Now am I going to use it to round a spindle blank.  Ummm......no, I like my spindles between centers. Other then that It does really nice for smoothing out the rough parts. Well that’s when I don’t dig the tip in first. 

17 hours ago, John Morris said:

Thanks so much Lew for a great Wed topic! Matthew sure is getting around a lot for being a Newbie, I think we can move Matthew out of the Newbie spot and into a woodworker!

Thank you @John Morris. I still feel like I’m super green when it comes to woodworking, especially with the beetle issue. But I can finally see my garage floor   As for woodworking this week. Let’s see ummmm...nope nothing. It’s been all cleaning and preparing to nuke garage in the morning maybe Monday I can start up again. See how long it takes to clear the air. The wife asked why I don’t spray then work in while it drys out. Mmmm....I like living and not visiting the er for pesticide poisoning. 

8 minutes ago, Mijohnson1984 said:

The wife asked why I don’t spray then work in while it drys out.

I had an issue with water bugs and such under a building.  Got a 3 pack of bug bombs and one night put one to work.  Killed a lot of bugs, since I had 2 left I hit it again next night.  Few days later, yup hit it again.  No more bugs since.  :JawDrop:

So last week I hit it again!  Because hey dead bugs don't cause issues!!!:TwoThumbsUp:

8 minutes ago, Woodbutcherbynight said:

So last week I hit it again!  Because hey dead bugs don't cause issues!!!:TwoThumbsUp:

Cheers to that bora-care tomorrow then throwing on the ceder oil once I’m back in the shop. Like they say in the army there’s no kill like over kill. So double tap and move out. 

16 hours ago, Mijohnson1984 said:

On the post about a skew. So far it hasn’t tried to kill me in my sleep. So that’s a plus. Now am I going to use it to round a spindle blank.  Ummm......no, I like my spindles between centers. Other then that It does really nice for smoothing out the rough parts. Well that’s when I don’t dig the tip in first. 

Ok here is a video by one of the Greats of teaching and turning Allan Batty yes this is Stuart's dad.

@John Morris Where is a good place to put videos like this for reference? Tips?

Edited by Gerald