Image downloads saved as .jpe

Courtland

Tried it Lew, thanks for the link, I was able to find it all ok, and make the changes but nothing. I was able to find other tutorials as well based on the link you have here and followed them to the T but no luck. Last resort I deleted the profile Firefox folder altogether, then I deleted Firefox, and reinstalled, and dang it I am still downloading images as .jpe. :angry:

A quick and dirty way to possibly open the image is delete the .jpe extension and make sure the image shows a .jpg extension only.  So your file "boat_image.jpg.jpe"  needs to be shortened to "boat_image.jpg"   You will get a warning box pop up, but at the moment ignore it and try to open the file.  As a side note, the .jpe extension is actually a rare jpeg format.  Some photo viewers will open it, but not all.  

As far as why, I'm not sure but changing the extension nomenclature should allow you to view the image.

John,

Is this your W10 machine? Is this only happening with Firefox?

I've seen reports of others having the same issue using Firefox with W10.

I don't have the problem but I'm not using Firefox on my W10 machine anymore. I had some other strange issues, so deleted Firefox.

I'm using Opera for my website browsing here, and a few other websites. Opera allows me to do things Firefox, IE11, and the "Edge" browsers won't let me do.

A quick and dirty way to possibly open the image is delete the .jpe extension and make sure the image shows a .jpg extension only.  So your file "boat_image.jpg.jpe"  needs to be shortened to "boat_image.jpg"   You will get a warning box pop up, but at the moment ignore it and try to open the file.  As a side note, the .jpe extension is actually a rare jpeg format.  Some photo viewers will open it, but not all.  

As far as why, I'm not sure but changing the extension nomenclature should allow you to view the image.

Thanks Will. I tried your suggestions and I thought we were on to something as a work around but it does not work, I cannot change that image to anything but what it is. It's completely weird. The only way can change the extension is to open it in a photo editing software, and "save as" a png. That works, but if I try to save it as a jpeg, jpg, it reverts back to .jpe. This is completely frustrating.

John,

Is this your W10 machine? Is this only happening with Firefox?

I've seen reports of others having the same issue using Firefox with W10.

I don't have the problem but I'm not using Firefox on my W10 machine anymore. I had some other strange issues, so deleted Firefox.

I'm using Opera for my website browsing here, and a few other websites. Opera allows me to do things Firefox, IE11, and the "Edge" browsers won't let me do.

It's a Windows 8.1 machine Larry, and I am using the latest version of Firefox. It only happens in Firefox, IE is fine, Opera is fine, Google Chrome is fine. Just Firefox.

As a "drastic" move, Download/install Advanced Uninstaller Pro (Free) at- http://www.advanceduninstaller.com/. DO NOT do the express/recommended install . Pick all of the custom options and uncheck the extra software they try to push out. 

Then backup your bookmarks/favorites/passwords. Delete your firefox profile (You said you did this before). Uninstall Firefox using the Uninstaller Pro and let it scan the registry for leftover entries. Restart the PC. Download Firefox again. Import your bookmarks/favorites/passwords from the saved files

As a "drastic" move, Download/install Advanced Uninstaller Pro (Free) at- http://www.advanceduninstaller.com/. DO NOT do the express/recommended install . Pick all of the custom options and uncheck the extra software they try to push out. 

Then backup your bookmarks/favorites/passwords. Delete your firefox profile (You said you did this before). Uninstall Firefox using the Uninstaller Pro and let it scan the registry for leftover entries. Restart the PC. Download Firefox again. Import your bookmarks/favorites/passwords from the saved files

Will do Lew, thanks for the help, and thanks to all for your great suggestions, I'll report back later today Lew how your proposed fix went, it sounds like a winner right now.

Turned off all the addons and still the same issue. Also sorry about posting as Admin and Courtland guys, I have a split personality and I got confused.

You're confused? :huh:

I think your personality is split more than two ways. :unsure:

Courtland, Admin, John Morris, George Washington, am I missing any?:huh:

Check to see if a program was added very recently.;)

You may have to go back to a restore point created before the added program so you can get rid of it.

Some of those hacker programs leave you no alternative. DAMHIKT :angry:

:D

Courtland: my happy go lucky don't give a dang how folks feel about me or what I post online profile.

John Morris (Admin): responsible webmaster politically correct all around go to guy for TPW.

George Washington: phantom profile for testing purposes only, hardly used.

I've checked everything Larry, still checking, soon gonna take Lew up on his idea, just need to make time today, I am in the middle of getting a newsletter out to all the folks regarding our Adopt-a-Family project for the Holidays. These newsletters take a huge amount of time to create, you wouldn't think so but they do, it's crazy.

Just want to make sure I'm clear on what you did.  You opened the file in a photo software program and tried to "save as" a jpeg.  It wouldn't allow it, and required saving as a .png file.  

If I'm correct in what I wrote above, then we aren't connecting directions wise.  Instead of opening the file, take the original (boat_image.jpg.jpe) and right click and then rename it to boat_image.jpg  

Then try to open the file within your photo editing software.  

I'll look at my photoshop software at work tomorrow to see if the .jpe file extension is recognized.

Will

Just want to make sure I'm clear on what you did.  You opened the file in a photo software program and tried to "save as" a jpeg.  It wouldn't allow it, and required saving as a .png file.  

If I'm correct in what I wrote above, then we aren't connecting directions wise.  Instead of opening the file, take the original (boat_image.jpg.jpe) and right click and then rename it to boat_image.jpg  

Then try to open the file within your photo editing software.  

I'll look at my photoshop software at work tomorrow to see if the .jpe file extension is recognized.

Will

Thanks Will, yep did exactly what you said in addition to what I did. No matter what I save it as, or rename it as, or delete the appended extension etc, the .jpe will not go away. It's buried in the file. The only way I could get it to work, is saving as a .png.

John,George,Courtland, Whoever, :rolleyes:

Was it working correctly until just recently?

If so you probably got hacked, and it may not show up as a program.

Some of the latest hacks don't show up because they get installed to the registry.

The easiest way to deal with them is to go back to a restore point just before things went goofy.

My brothers step son was on his computer for about 1/2 hour, and somehow got hit with 9 different virus's, malware, spyware, etc.

The only way we could get rid of one of them was to go back to the last restore point.

This one showed up as a program, but refused to be uninstalled. Part of it got installed to the registry, and when we tried to remove it Windows stated "Program cannot be uninstalled while running, close the program and retry". There was no way to turn off the program. :angry:

Archived