Blood Wood Big Problems Already

AndrewB

Okay so I have a MINOR problem.  When I origionally went to mount the face plate to the blood wood blank.  Welp I ran into a bit of a problem.  The screws got stuck the wood is so dense.  I had to unscrew three of them using a set of vice grips.  Talk about a pain.  The problem being one of the screws is still stuck in the blank it decided to break off just below the surface of the blank.  I chipped it out a little bit with a hand chisel so I could see the broken screw.  Either way I'm going to start on the outsides of the bowl and get it to shape.  What I am trying to figure out now is how the heck to get the screw out of there.  Any suggestions on marking the spot?  Either way I'm not letting this lovely piece of bloodwood go to waste.  I've already got it rounded out and tenon cut.

IMG_0436.JPG

IMG_0437.JPG

As far as the bowl portion goes.  Its going rather well.  I also tried the power sanding again.  This time with the disc sander... That worked absolutely brilliantly.    As far as the screw thats stuck in the section where I have to hollow out... I've been contemplating drilling out holes around the area and cutting it out that way.  Which may do the trick to get it loose then no risk to the carbide gouges.  Not sure if that would work.  The screw shouldn't be that deep in as seeing it didn't get in all the way.  But I think I am going to have to find a 2 inch power sander thats electric for a fairly reasonable price but the problem with the smaller ones was keeping the  sander on the work piece with out flopping off.  the Disc sander will work perfectly for the outside of the bowl at least.

IMG_0439.JPG

IMG_0440.JPG

IMG_0441.JPG

Okay so for the exterior of the bowls I think its going to be a mix match.... Disc sander and hand sanding.  I only took this up to 400 grit because that's what I have until my sand paper orders get delivered.  How ever for only 400 grit on the exterior it sure shined up like nothing.  Also its smokier than trash out here.  The sky is thick with it threw in a shot of that.  Those arent clouds that's SMOKE.

IMG_0445.JPG

IMG_0446.JPG

IMG_0447.JPG

I have a screw extractor set LOL that didn't work.  Either way it took a bit of un ethical means but I got both out.  How ever I drilled in pretty deep to double check the area to make sure there was nothing there but wood.  I wound up breaking a bit into the blood wood as well.  LOL.  OOOOPS either way...  I got them both out... I think.  As far as hollowing it out its going to be interesting.  Honestly I kind of left those in for a bit of character I liked the way they looked in the bowl.

Well it worked out.  I managed to get it out LOL.  Along with the busted drill bit itself.  in the long run I think this is going to make a very nice bowl.  Someones Christmas present at least.  I've just gotta smooth out some marks on the bottom of the bowl on the interior a bit better and then sand as well as I can inside.  This one was wobbly a you know what.

IMG_0450.JPG

Its not as bad as once thought.  It just takes patience, which I lack and have very little of at times with certain things.  But with stuck screws and other objects in the way you just have to turn the inside down a bit just past the object thats lodged into the wood.  Then take a hammer and chisel and chisel that bit out and move on with it.  EASY.  YES it is a risky maneuver and could possibly destroy a perfectly good carbide tip... Either way was worth the effort in the long run to just work it.  Only having a very small vice that's not even mounted to a bench I had to come up with some creative ways on dealing with the problem that would probably seem "UNSAFE" but I managed to NOT injure myself in the process.  (Yep I finally have a small bench top vise_ but not big enough for most projects so I'll have to get a bigger one.)