Work gloves recommendation

Cal

Well, my last pair of leather work gloves just went back to Lowes.  Had not even had them two weeks and they had holes and ripped seams.  These were the Blue Hawk variety, with some type of fabric mesh on the top of the gloves.  Too bad, they were the most comfortable gloves I have had in quite awhile.  I am not doing anything out of the ordinary (I don't think).  I do have a stack of rough cut lumber that I occasionally mill a piece or two from.  I am doing some home remodeling, so I am wearing them probably several hours a day.  I used to get about six months from a set of leather gloves.  Lately it seems like I am buying a set every month or so.

Anyone have recommendations for a good set of comfortable work gloves?

Cal

Here is a pic of the Blue Hawks.  Wish I had taken a pic of them before I returned them.

662909014443lg.jpg

Cal, I've had great luck with the H-F Mechanics gloves. Link below is the Gen II version for these gloves. I've used both, the former version and current with equal results. I typically have a coupon and get them for $3.99/pr. FOR ME, I feel the value and quality is quite good. H-F also has several higher end versions too but aside from the thermal, waterproof version have not tried. Prior to using these, I had several pairs of similar type sold with Stanley's name and also Wells Lamont...those didn't last any longer than the H-F and cost considerably more. 

https://www.harborfreight.com/household/gloves/mechanics-gloves-large-62428.html

image.thumb.png.479f09ee841d37b02c0068219374eae7.png

Thanks, and keep those suggestions coming!

@Gene Howe I have used a lot of Wells Lamont over the years, but haven't seen them on the shelves lately?

@Grandpadave52 I have a couple pair of the HF mechanix gloves.  I like them well enough, but not for handling rough lumber or plywood where splinters may be an issue.

@Stick486 Bosch don't sell any gloves?:D

@Smallpatch See my comment to Dave above,

@TxMoose Those look interesting.  It looks like the only way to get them is online?

@Gerald I have actually had a few pair of the goatskin gloves over the years.  I do like them, but finding them in a large size is the problem usually.

Cal

I hate wearing gloves...I don't like not having a tactile feedback.

With that said, I still wear them for certain things; sharp metal, splintery wood (OSB), etc. I have several pairs of leather driver type gloves that I have used for years when I need them. I find, that, brand named (more expensive gloves) are no better quality then the cheaper ones. They all wear out on the fingertips eventually (for me). The main thing is to get whatever is comfortable and flexible enough to suit your needs. I find that the price is no indication of quality and I have had some cheaper gloves last longer then the more expensive brands.

I have trouble finding gloves to fit. Most retailers don't often have XX-large gloves on the racks. So, I buy whatever is comfortable and actually fit when I find them.

I suggest that you just find what fits YOUR needs and go with that.

3 hours ago, schnewj said:

I have trouble finding gloves to fit. Most retailers don't often have XX-large gloves on the racks. So, I buy whatever is comfortable and actually fit when I find them.

Me, too.   Looked for two years to find some mechanic's gloves that fit for working on recliner mechanisms (sharp metal edges).  Even they, they are pretty tight on me.   My had is not especially fat or muscular, just long and wide.

1 hour ago, kmealy said:

Me, too.   Looked for two years to find some mechanic's gloves that fit for working on recliner mechanisms (sharp metal edges).  Even they, they are pretty tight on me.   My had is not especially fat or muscular, just long and wide.

I've got fat fingers, and a fist 4-1/2 to 5" across. I have a tough time squeezing them into gloves. I absolutely hate cotton type gloves and much prefer all leather. Once they get wet (sweat or water) they stretch and dry to fit. Typical x-large gloves only allow my fingers in and not my whole hand. I guess that is the price of "off-shore" goods.

I used to buy Van Heusen dress shirts. The last ones I bought at JC Penny were 18/34. Only one fit my neck and all of them had different sleeve lengths...anywhere from two inches above the wrist to half way up my forearm. Nothing can be trusted to fit based on marked sizes. I get excited when I find XX-large work glove...until I try them on and realize they were made to fit an Asian with a "Large" hand. LOL

29 minutes ago, schnewj said:

used to buy Van Heusen dress shirts. The last ones I bought at JC Penny were 18/34. Only one fit my neck and all of them had different sleeve lengths...anywhere from two inches above the wrist to half way up my forearm.

This has been a problem in women's clothing  for as long as i can remember (I used to hear my mom and sisters complain about it).   when i was a kid i wore a 16 1/2-33 dress shirt and you could really find them.   I don't count on that any more from anyone; especially when they size them 33-34 and they really don't fit either; then again, i don't wear dress shirts any more.  Have to think about the glove issue a bit as my hands are square shape with shorter fingers and measure somewhere around 10' around the palm.   Just to make it confusing, apparently men's hands and women's (like shoes) have different sizes, etc.   https://www.leatherglovesonline.com/np/sizing.htm 

7 minutes ago, Gerald said:

Lets try this.

That worked. I'll give these a look next time I'm there...might be better for CS work and the like although on the high end of my glove budget:D I think I will try a pair though. The Mechanix version hold up well but are more bulky.

Do your hands/fingers get cold during winter weather...Oh wait, you don't have sub zero temps & snow:lol::P

I did try a pair of THESE for really cold weather and especially using the snow blower...other than somewhat bulky, they work great...this will be my 3rd season with same pair.

1 hour ago, schnewj said:

I've got fat fingers, and a fist 4-1/2 to 5" across. I have a tough time squeezing them into gloves. I absolutely hate cotton type gloves and much prefer all leather. Once they get wet (sweat or water) they stretch and dry to fit. Typical x-large gloves only allow my fingers in and not my whole hand. I guess that is the price of "off-shore" goods.

I used to buy Van Heusen dress shirts. The last ones I bought at JC Penny were 18/34. Only one fit my neck and all of them had different sleeve lengths...anywhere from two inches above the wrist to half way up my forearm. Nothing can be trusted to fit based on marked sizes. I get excited when I find XX-large work glove...until I try them on and realize they were made to fit an Asian with a "Large" hand. LOL

Yes, my wife has that problem with clothes.  She's 5'12" shrunk down to about 5'10" now.  About half the stuff she gets in her "size" actually fits.

I've got 37" sleeves and glad that I don't have to wear suit and tie every day to work any more.  I also used to walk into the suit store and after getting my size determined, "We have this navy one here and this gray one here."   I'd buy a new suit every year so I didn't need to buy more than one at a time.