Dear folks, help us raise funding for our community directly. And in the process you'll have a chance to win some terrific tools donated by our sponsors! Read More...
Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'ink'.
Found 4 results
A guy wanted a "Son's of Liberty" themed small flat horn to finish out a squirrel hunting rig. Scrimshaw by my self,..horn by Bill Smith. I'll post this here in this section since my last post ended up here,,.....I told you boys I don't fit in anywhere ,....but the horn does have a tiger maple base plug so perhaps that'll count....(as always feel free to move if you Gent's think it'll have a better home ) I hang out with a bag and horn maker friend of mine Bill Smith,.......I work a lot with him making horns and the horn itself officially came out of his shop,........I then do all the scrimshaw at my house. It's just a simple ink job,....nothing extra fancy,...but a popular theme amongst the flintlock guys. The bag and rifle pictured are mine that I sometimes use for props when taking pics,.......the bag is a double scout style in buffalo leather also by Bill Smith. Best Regard's Patriots -Aaron: Newest recruit to F Troop
My latest woven basket illusion, a ceremonial basket design that I call Navajo Rain Cross. The cross symbol can also be found on Navajo rugs and pottery and is often used to represent Spider Woman, the first Navajo deity. The basket is twelve inches in diameter and the wood is maple. Beading, pyrography and ink were used to create the basket illusion. It was donated to the SWAT 2019 Symposium and selected as an auction item.
Every year I make an ornament as a give away to friends and family. This year I decided to make tree light bulbs. I used this as for sizing after an internet search. I used the C9 dimensions. I used some 1.25" birch dowel rods that I found at a local surplus store. They were three feet long and I cut them into 7" pieces and got two bulbs from each piece so each dowel yielded 10 bulbs. Somehow I cut a piece off one dowel this Summer and that one one only yielded 8 bulbs. 118 individual bulbs was the final total and I paired most of them together. I ordered 1/2" brass tubing from Grainger. Came in 12" lengths so I set the metal lathe up to cut 1/2" pieces for the thread ends. I sized the wood for a press fit. Goofed up a few and had to glue them on. I cut the thread end of the bulb first which accommodated sizing for the tubing. I have been trying different ways of coloring the wood and think I have found the answer. I used an acrylic ink I found at Pat Catan's. As I brushed it on it penetrated the wood like a dye would. It did raised the grain a bit so I put them back on the lathe after covering the brass with masking tape and lightly knocked it down with pieces of brown paper bag. Here is the ink bottles. I finished them with three back to back coats of shellac. I made and finished them in batches of 24. To keep from having to open the can many times over I have gone to filling a saved soy sauce bottle. I ground the end of a small funnel to fit in the tiny hole in the top. Pour a some into the bottom of a plastic shot glass from the dollar store as needed. Seems to keep the finish fresh a lot longer. The big plus is the convenience of use. I use needle nose pliers and one of the shot glasses to dip and pour the finish into the funnel.
My gosh, I have just seem some of the most beautiful platters in my life! I love these! I was perusing Facebook and found the link to these on the Easy Wood Tools time line, you can see the actual image and caption at Easy Wood Tools Facebook Page. There is something about these that would make me reach really deep into my pockets and pull out some hard earned money and purchase these, at all costs! I am hooked! Love em!