What Frame do I need for my Table Saw Cart

acr_scout

I am working on an upgrade to my Sears 113 contractor saw. I have added the Shop Fox fence, new wings (one will be the router table). The latest design is pictured below. For the size and weight what should the bottom frame be (e.g., 2x4. doubled 3/4 plywood)? How many wheels will it need for the length.

I am not sold on the design yet but what I want is to cover the motor for dust collection, integrated out-feed table, storage for table saw and router.

Thanks for the input.

New Tablesaw Car.png

Depending on what you are rolling over you may want larger diameter wheels to ease over cracks in concrete.

The neoprene wheels are so that you do not mark up the concrete? 

If  your plan parallels woodbutchery then you have a great starting place with his excellent pictures.

The question for both of you is how to you lock your wheels?

8 hours ago, Michael Thuman said:

Good question and I took some more recent pictures to help out.  I had a mobile base that had these casters that could be lowered and raised.  removed the junky low grade bolts and upgraded to thicker better grade ones.

Two of these are on one end, and bolted to the frame with a surround of 3/16 steel.

1993981206_Casters(3).jpg.f47baf154d79f2edd97ea5c3216d33aa.jpg

This side can be raised off the levelers and then moved.  They swivel allowing for turns to get in and out.  Not that this has moved since install, but hey I COULD move it. With three people helping, or a forklift...

1760140174_Casters(1).jpg.8bfeffd5ef927c03daf10f09d32460c4.jpg  1442707334_Casters(2).jpg.db7dc22fe014badd4b65e8bb2eb56f74.jpg

23 hours ago, acr_scout said:

Well that validates my design isn't completely batty.

In building this cabinet I used what I call a spine design.  Down the middle is a 3/4 piece of plywood the frame attaches at top and bottom, like a lateral support.  On each side of the frame I through bolted every 6 inches with 5/16 bolts.  This is a mock up as I don't have a pick at time of construction.  The idea came from observing a load bearing wall.  

453399801_SpineDesign(1).jpg.6d2b5cef969a3c08d7a0826b29272970.jpg  1702950418_SpineDesign(3).jpg.d103a99e3c674f6146fbf4e62f006a20.jpg

12 hours ago, Woodbutcherbynight said:

Good question and I took some more recent pictures to help out.  I had a mobile base that had these casters that could be lowered and raised.  removed the junky low grade bolts and upgraded to thicker better grade ones.

Two of these are on one end, and bolted to the frame with a surround of 3/16 steel.

1993981206_Casters(3).jpg.f47baf154d79f2edd97ea5c3216d33aa.jpg

This side can be raised off the levelers and then moved.  They swivel allowing for turns to get in and out.  Not that this has moved since install, but hey I COULD move it. With three people helping, or a forklift...

1760140174_Casters(1).jpg.8bfeffd5ef927c03daf10f09d32460c4.jpg  1442707334_Casters(2).jpg.db7dc22fe014badd4b65e8bb2eb56f74.jpg

Great pictures and details thanks.  I just  hope that electrical cord is not crushed or pinched.

12 hours ago, Woodbutcherbynight said:

In building this cabinet I used what I call a spine design.  Down the middle is a 3/4 piece of plywood the frame attaches at top and bottom, like a lateral support.  On each side of the frame I through bolted every 6 inches with 5/16 bolts.  This is a mock up as I don't have a pick at time of construction.  The idea came from observing a load bearing wall.  

453399801_SpineDesign(1).jpg.6d2b5cef969a3c08d7a0826b29272970.jpg  1702950418_SpineDesign(3).jpg.d103a99e3c674f6146fbf4e62f006a20.jpg

Thanks for the details very good.  Can you please show us with the spline installed in the cabinet.

Sure hope you do not need to disemble anything to show it?

Thanks for all of the input and continued input. I have updated my drawings and would like to further comment. It is not a finished drawing because I have to figure out what I am going to do with the router portion of the table top nor and I certain how I am going to support the out feed table. Additionally, I want to box in the motor for dust collection purposes but I don't know how I want to do it because it and the out feed top will have to be removable to get to the motor. 

So far I have my table saw tools and inserts accounted for in drawers and the slide out board. On the router end I desire to put drawers to hold bits and such. 

New Tablesaw Car2.png

New Tablesaw Car1.png

New Tablesaw Car3.png

On 11/19/2019 at 11:59 AM, Michael Thuman said:

Depending on what you are rolling over you may want larger diameter wheels to ease over cracks in concrete.

The neoprene wheels are so that you do not mark up the concrete? 

If  your plan parallels woodbutchery then you have a great starting place with his excellent pictures.

I am rolling around the garage. Smooth concrete. My current table saw cart is on wheels along with my workbench and wood/scrap bin. I like the neoprene because they are so smooth.

3 hours ago, acr_scout said:

I want to box in the motor for dust collection purposes but I don't know how I want to do it because it and the out feed top will have to be removable to get to the motor.

Had same problem here was my solution.  Once I had installed the tablesaw I made an enclosure for the motor, in my case two motors.  Now I have a frame that attaches to the bottom of the cart, the side of the Tablesaw, and a frame for the top to bolt down to.  To allow access to the motor one of the two drawer fronts is false, screws from behind through the frame.  The other is a drawer for capturing dust.  All of this is removable, used 1/4x20 nuts and bolts.  You never know when you need more room to get to something.  

My idea on this entire project was to keep it modular.  If a section wasn't working out and needed to be modified it can be removed.  You asked about supporting the router side of the table.  The last picture shows the drawer modules on each side that bolt to the cart, and then to the bottom of the router extension.  Again all 1/4 x 20 bolts and bolts.  I dry fitted each section then removed to do finish work.  

So here we have the exposed motors just like your diagram.

563787122_TwinTSConstruct(6).jpg.375ad5d10593e2cb660611b4a3919f87.jpg

Now the frame is in place and the top has been set up with the miter guides.  Each half is bolted down with recessed head 1/4 x 20 bolts to the frame through the top and on the side.  If you need to make a angled cut I just pull the bolts out and remove that half of the top.  Below is the drawer for the dust.

1187560767_TwinTSConst2(3).jpg.3f695094262e4f5554d8d822175ceda6.jpg

Now with the tops done up with some grey Formica, the false drawer fronts added and the two drawers installed.

35379620_TwinTSConst2(6).jpg.6d3a3a3d6af6b3548458a72ef5dbeba3.jpg

2128194524_TwinTSConstruct(8).jpg.9aec8a2109c528fc9ae086db24125089.jpg

9 minutes ago, Gerald said:

If you do DC on the saw you will need a sloped bottom tray or us a V with the port at the bottom of the V. I do not have a picture of the port but this is the saw table.

A good point and this is where you have to decide on what you want for DCShop DC will be the best bet.  Or you could use a shop vac onboard, you already need power for the saw so this is simple.  My method is pure gravity.  Under each saw is a drawer that the dust and debris collects in, via gravity.  Under each motor is another set of drawers, same deal.  So I do deal with it, but certainly not as efficient as a DC.  I chose to not have a pipe come across the floor anywhere.  Personal preference, by no means the best.  Just works best for me.

I know it is a lot of details that are being brought up but this is a good thing for you.  You get to see different methods and ask questions and see detailed pictures to aid you in your design.  This the beauty of starting the project here on the site.  Earlier in the year I started working on a router table / cabinet design and the input I got here, daily, sometimes several different suggestions a day.  All of that input made that project come out way better than my original design.

You can read though that post here.