November 15, 20187 yr comment_166504 Great job, Ron, I like the design and your workmanship is top shelf. Herb Report
November 15, 20187 yr Author comment_166518 The best part is that I didn’t have to finish it. Thanks for the kind words Report
November 15, 20187 yr comment_166520 I don't know where my comment went... That is beautiful Ron, thanks for posting the follow up with the finish. Report
November 15, 20187 yr Author comment_166530 10 minutes ago, Gerald said: You turn a pretty good leg. That gets a ATTA BOY I can’t take credit for the legs. They were purchased. Report
November 15, 20187 yr comment_166574 On 10/16/2018 at 7:00 AM, Ron Dudelston said: Dan, the top is made up of 5, 8” boards. When I planed them to final size, I rotated the planks and reran them through the planer. I wanted to ensure that the boards were perfectly flat. I assembled them in 2 pieces, one being 24” wide and the other 16” wide and kept them flat with biscuits. I cut the two sections to length (exactly the same length) and then assembled those two pieces with biscuits. The bread board end was the most painstaking part because of the table length. I didn’t want the ends to bow so I used biscuits for alignment, covered the area with waxed paper and clamped 1/2” plywood across the seams. I got just a wee bit of sag on one end (1/32”) but it wasn’t a game changer. After the clamps came off, I swept both sides with a belt bender and 80 grit paper. Side comment: I had a friend at church ask me if I was concerned that the ends might crack because of the opposing grain. Answer..... yep, we’ll see. Hope that answers your question Ron bread board ends are usually narrow and are free floating. That way when they expand they are free to expand away from the end grain (which does not expand much). As your ends are wide and appear to be fastened to the legs they may split but as you said we will see. With them painted and probably in an air conditioned or heated space I think the realitve vapor level change in the space is minimized. So It may never get as stressed as it would if in an un conditioned space. I think it will last a very long time. Great job. Report
November 15, 20187 yr Author comment_166580 17 minutes ago, Michael Thuman said: Ron bread board ends are usually narrow and are free floating. That way when they expand they are free to expand away from the end grain (which does not expand much). As your ends are wide and appear to be fastened to the legs they may split but as you said we will see. With them painted and probably in an air conditioned or heated space I think the realitve vapor level change in the space is minimized. So It may never get as stressed as it would if in an un conditioned space. I think it will last a very long time. Great job. The top is attached with figure 8 fasteners. Hopefully, it is free to move enough. Report
November 15, 20187 yr comment_166582 With figure 8's that are free to move you should be fine. if they are bound tight it may cause a problem. Looks like you thought of everything. Great job! Report
November 15, 20187 yr comment_166613 Nice work Ron. The table, and bench appear much larger than I was picturing in my mind. No wonder you had the football team on standby! Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.