October 13, 20187 yr Author Popular Post comment_162567 The table has left the building. Today, we loaded the top and base to take it to its new home. We threw the top on long enough to see what it looks like. Not too bad. Tomorrow the bench goes home and I move to the next project. Report
October 13, 20187 yr comment_162568 10 minutes ago, Ron Dudelston said: Not too bad. You are a master of understating things....look really nice! Report
October 13, 20187 yr comment_162581 Ron, that really turned out nice man, wholly cow, what a piece of work! You done good, really good, that will be around for a few generations, bar a house fire, it'll out last anyone here for sure. A true inspiration to do what you have done, for our own home. Thank you. Report
October 14, 20187 yr Author comment_162585 I rounded the top with an 1/8” roundover because that’s what the customer wanted. I personally feel that the edge is too sharp and would have looked better with a 1/4” roundover. Cest la vie. Report
October 14, 20187 yr comment_162609 Super nice Ron. Please be sure to get some pics for us after the finish has been applied. Report
October 14, 20187 yr Author Popular Post comment_162672 That bench is finished. The customer is going to buy 3 unfinished chairs to go with it Report
October 14, 20187 yr comment_162678 I could support my truck on that. Well done Ron. Would love to see the set once they have finished it. This is definitely a heirloom set. Report
October 14, 20187 yr Author Popular Post comment_162684 52 minutes ago, Grandpadave52 said: I could support my truck on that. Well done Ron. Would love to see the set once they have finished it. This is definitely a heirloom set. The new owner owns a photography studio and I’ve already requested professional pics of the finished product. Report
October 15, 20187 yr comment_162781 Ron, would you mind elaborating what techniques you used to flatten the table top? did you use spines, biscuits? did you glue up the entire assy or only two boards at a time? did you have to use a plan after glue up? did you use a drum sander after glue up, etc. thanks in advance. Danl Report
October 16, 20187 yr Author comment_162832 12 hours ago, Danl said: Ron, would you mind elaborating what techniques you used to flatten the table top? did you use spines, biscuits? did you glue up the entire assy or only two boards at a time? did you have to use a plan after glue up? did you use a drum sander after glue up, etc. thanks in advance. Danl Dan, the top is made up of 5, 8” boards. When I planed them to final size, I rotated the planks and reran them through the planer. I wanted to ensure that the boards were perfectly flat. I assembled them in 2 pieces, one being 24” wide and the other 16” wide and kept them flat with biscuits. I cut the two sections to length (exactly the same length) and then assembled those two pieces with biscuits. The bread board end was the most painstaking part because of the table length. I didn’t want the ends to bow so I used biscuits for alignment, covered the area with waxed paper and clamped 1/2” plywood across the seams. I got just a wee bit of sag on one end (1/32”) but it wasn’t a game changer. After the clamps came off, I swept both sides with a belt bender and 80 grit paper. Side comment: I had a friend at church ask me if I was concerned that the ends might crack because of the opposing grain. Answer..... yep, we’ll see. Hope that answers your question Report
November 14, 20187 yr Author Popular Post comment_166473 I promised to post a picture of the finished farmhouse table so here it is. Report
November 14, 20187 yr comment_166476 Well, I'm not much for painted wood, but will admit, that turned out very, very nice. It certainly complements the the space and looks extremely high-end. Very well done Ron! Thanks for the pictures and follow-up. Report
November 14, 20187 yr comment_166481 Table turned out really nice. I really like the style of table and bench!!! Great Job Ron!!! Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.