Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Rate this topic

Planning on adding a Oneida Dust Deputy to my DC system. Looking at the 4 inch at $210 or the 5 inch at $219. This will be on the shop floor and the DC is in the attic. Hopefully I will never havr to empty the attic bag again. The question is how bog of a difference will the 5 inch make ? And does anyone have experience with these larger units?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BEXBWS6/?ref=idea_lv_dp_ov_d

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y37FF9D/?ref=idea_lv_dp_ov_d

I have the 5" and it works very well.  You will still have to clean the dust bag as fine dust does get through to the filter.  I clean my filters about once a year.

Have a 1.5 hp Grizzly in the attic. I think the inlet which is split to two 4 inch is a 6 inch base.

Herb will have to give that a close look.

You will need to clean the DC canister if you allow the dust in the DD to fill beyond about 2/3 of its capacity. It will stop sucking and allow the dust to flow through to your DC. Watch the level.

Regards from Perth

Derek

The blue strobe light went off last Sunday on mine and the bin was full to the top. I dumped the 32 gal. can and put a new trash bag into it, then checked the box at the bottom of the filters. There was some dust in there, plus a plastic bag that must have got sucked up into the DC. I removed about a gal of fine dust from the filter box at the bottom of the Wynn filters. Then I back blew the filters with the shopvac in reverse mod and turned the filters as I did that. When I opened the dust box at the bottom again, there was another quart of fine dust that I blew out of the filters. I put everything back together and the DC really sucked . It took me about 30 min. While I was at it I bled the air compressor and got about a gallon out of it into a bucket that I took out and poured down the catch basin in the street.

Then back to work.

HErb

Moved topic to Tools Research Forum.

If cyclones systems could catch all the fine dust in the catch basin they wouldn't need a filter.  You will have to clean the filter but hopefully not as often.

@derekcohen has given you some good advice.

8 hours ago, derekcohen said:

You will need to clean the DC canister if you allow the dust in the DD to fill beyond about 2/3 of its capacity. It will stop sucking and allow the dust to flow through to your DC. Watch the level.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks . Guess I will need to install a window on the bucket. For a start I have a drop I built that catches most of the big stuff and will put the DD after it for now so that may help everything. I just hope I do not have to haul that canister down again. Had to remove the door on the DC room to get out and then force it down the opening for the stair (maybe 1/8 too narrow). Hey getting too old for that and besides it is really hot up there in the summer.

1 hour ago, Gene Howe said:

Being rather simple minded, somewhat lazy and downright cheap, I use a 35 gal. trash can, topped with an inexpensive plastic "cyclone" lid as a chip catcher to protect the DC impeller and collect most of the dust. Then, the DC is vented directly through the wall to the outside. I'm on 27 acres so, the miniscule amount of dust that gets to the outside bothers no one. Another container, outside, could be rigged to catch even that dust. No bags to empty, no worries about micron sizes and, a few sq. ft. of floor space was gained. Works for me.

You have the ideal situation,Gene, I would get into deep do-do doing that where I live.

2 minutes ago, Dadio said:

You have the ideal situation,Gene, I would get into deep do-do doing that where I live.

Yeah same here, I can see answering some questions to Code Enforcement.  The  having to explain to a Judge what I was thinking, or lack of thinking.:JawDrop:

2 hours ago, Gerald said:

Thanks . Guess I will need to install a window on the bucket. For a start I have a drop I built that catches most of the big stuff and will put the DD after it for now so that may help everything. I just hope I do not have to haul that canister down again. Had to remove the door on the DC room to get out and then force it down the opening for the stair (maybe 1/8 too narrow). Hey getting too old for that and besides it is really hot up there in the summer.

I have sensors at the top of the 32 gal garbage can, and when it gets full it sets off a blue strobe light in the shop.

I could lower the sensors but the black trash bag in the garbage can might not let the sensor "see' through to detect the level of chips if I lower it. and I hate to cut a hole in both sides of the bag, it would defeat the purpose of the bag.

Herb

7 minutes ago, Dadio said:

I have sensors at the top of the 32 gal garbage can, and when it gets full it sets off a blue strobe light in the shop.

Nice set up.  I also have a sensor.  I ask my self how long has it been since you checked the bag?  :JawDrop:

2 minutes ago, Woodbutcherbynight said:

Nice set up.  I also have a sensor.  I ask my self how long has it been since you checked the bag?  :JawDrop:

If you are thinking that, it is time to check the bag. I also have a test button on my DC Electrical panel I can press to check the sensors and set off the strobe light if my little heart desires.

Herb

2 minutes ago, Dadio said:

I also have a test button on my DC Electrical panel

Got a picture of this?  I have several DC power supplies in the shop.  Always looking for some more garage engineering ideas to upgrade.  My neighbor thinks I am a mad scientist when he comes to visit and I am doing wiring and such. :Laughing:

2 hours ago, Gene Howe said:

Then, the DC is vented directly through the wall to the outside.

My shop is in the basement.  I could pump mine outside but I would loose my conditioned air with it.