Rate this topic

I found the Achilles heel of my Shopsmith, the casters, they are horrible!

They are a beast to roll around.

Any Shopsmith folks with any advise, I'd sure appreciate it.

1544915053397-309969948.jpg

John, do those casters have a single center post bolt mount to go through those aluminum aprons?

9 minutes ago, Grandpadave52 said:

John, do those casters have a single center post bolt mount to go through those aluminum aprons?

1544921921066-103017105.jpg

15449219675171068887100.jpg

I think so?

Is that a spring on top? At first I thought the design was similar to my old Craftsman RAS cabinet, but seeing it closer, quite different.

If you can't change out the caster wheels for larger diameter, I think I'd remove that set-up and install a set of these...

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/woodriver-retracting-casters

image.png.4f8680a887479571f7f22551ea4a834f.png

or these...

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/woodriver-workbench-caster-set-4-piece

image.png.c4953f90d72d9aa8b4fc28ebf06d0cdb.png

Go to Granger or a caster supply store. You can get better wheels with the same size spindle or get caster with a thru hole to mount. Then use whatever length bolt you need to secure this wheel. You can also do online search. I did this search last month for lathe wheels and found this: https://www.surpluscenter.com/shop.axd/Search?keywords=thru+hole+wheels

Have not purchased here but that is a great price.

5 hours ago, John Morris said:

They are a beast to roll around.

go to a way better caster...

https://www.woodcraft.com/search?q=casters&button=search

1 minute ago, John Morris said:

I actually found the OEM upgrade for this machine!

those are the same casters Woodcraft carries...

2 minutes ago, Stick486 said:

those are the same casters Woodcraft carries...

Looking for em Stick, but don't see em at Woodcraft.

shows they are rated at 284 lbs, not bad.

2 minutes ago, Stick486 said:

The ones from Shopsmith are about the same price, and I know they'll work. The ones from Woodcraft have that threaded spindle, the ones from Shopsmith have that specialty spindle, the spindle attaches to a spring mechanism, I think that is what that special bulb catch or whatever you call it on the Shopsmith spindle is. Thanks Stick, I think I'll get the SS ones, and thanks all!

Those old wheels aren't too bad on a smooth surface but on concrete with expansion joints, they are a bear. Even a small sliver of wood will stop you in your tracks. 

48 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

Those old wheels aren't too bad on a smooth surface but on concrete with expansion joints, they are a bear. Even a small sliver of wood will stop you in your tracks. 

Gene, my wheels don't seem to want to turn on demand, I have to persuade the machine with nudges at strategical push points on the machine to get the Smith to go in the direction I want it too, frustrating. I hope these new wheels will make the difference.

49 minutes ago, Cal said:

Please come back with a users report after you have made the change John.

No doubt I will!

3 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

A steering wheel and tie rods would be nice.B)

Probably have to pay tax for that accessory on the"left coast" since the FCC ruled against the "Text Tax.":rolleyes: