Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Rate this topic

Dear folks,

My Dad has a place up the mountain, and it's old, and old. His home is a singe wide trailer built in the 60's, and back in the 70's someone had built an addon room off the side of the single wide.

The room is a typical DIY job, stick frame, T1-11 siding, flat roof, well, a very slight slope to the roof, but for all practical purposes it's flat. The roof currently has rolled roofing that has held up good. The room is 15' by 15'. This room is where he spends most of his time, it has the TV and computer, and his dog, with a view forever to the valley.

With our current rains the place has finally sprung leaks, the addon has about 13 leaks last count from dad's phone call, with 13 buckets on the floor below. By the way the rolled roofing is setting on 6" wide T&G which is also Dad's ceiling from the inside. And we'll have snow on the way soon.

We don't have the money, nor the time to fix it properly at this point, so we are looking for a temporary fix to get us through till tax season is good to us.

Does anyone know of a good coating we could apply that would get us through a few months? The coating would be going over rolled roofing, and it's only temporary.

Last resort would be a big sheet of plastic weighed down at the edges.

Thanks guys!

I've used this stuff with success. It'll get you through the winter until you can do a more permanent fix. Anybody up there with a spray foam rig? Absent a complete new roof, the sprayed foam, with an elastomeric coating, will last several years. $$$ but cheaper than a new roof.

BTW, rolled roofing isn't the best for a flat roof.

Edited by Gene Howe

6 minutes ago, Dadio said:

Another layer of roll roofing on top, be sure to tar down the leading edges and tack the top edge, and it will lay flat W/O wrinkles.

https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm=90lbs,+roll+roofing

Herb

Herb, would that be the permanent fix or the temp fix? Thanks

6 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

I've used this stuff with success. It'll get you through the winter until you can do a more permanent fix. Anybody up there with a spray foam rig? Absent a complete new roof, the sprayed foam, with an elastomeric coating, will last several years. $$$ but cheaper than a new roof.

BTW, rolled roofing isn't the best for a flat roof.

Gene, is that a coating for the whole roof? Or just spot repairs?

I've used this stuff-

https://www.lowes.com/pd/BLACK-JACK-4-75-Gallon-Fibered-Waterproofer-Roof-Sealant/3009900

Lasts a couple of years. My original carport roof is rolled roofing selvage 18" exposure. Been recoating it every couple of years. Next year it will be replaced with rubber roofing.

1 minute ago, John Morris said:

Herb, would that be the permanent fix or the temp fix? Thanks

I would think that would last a long time. I don't know what size the roof is but roll roofing is pretty economical and could be done in a day. Like Gene says it is not the best for a flat roof but there are miles of flat roofed large buildings  w/parapets that are roll roofing covered with tar. And since this roof has held up for several years a new layer should last just as long. Usually leaks occur when roll roofing is laid tacked down all way around. Then as the temperature changes it forms wrinkles, these become hardened and eventually crack and cause leaks. A roof properly laid with the top edge nailed only, can expand and contract during changes in temperature and not wrinkle, and will last a long time. (Be sure to lap the top edge) Then at a later date if you feel so inclined , you can cut some long wedge shaped joist and lay on top of the roof and sheath with plywood and install 3 tab, or corrugated metal roofing.

Herb

Thanks Herb, that will be our permanent solution after tax season, I really appreciate the suggestion, it sounds easy, and long lasting. For now, I literally don't have a few hours to spare to go up and help the ol man with a day job like you are describing, but I can order a few cans of coatings and ship em up to him, he is healthy and able to climb a ladder and spread gunk on the roof. I just need to get the coating to him.

9 minutes ago, Dadio said:

I don't know what size the roof is

15' by 15'

Thanks again Herb, I really appreciate your expertise on this.

14 minutes ago, lew said:

I've used this stuff-

https://www.lowes.com/pd/BLACK-JACK-4-75-Gallon-Fibered-Waterproofer-Roof-Sealant/3009900

Lasts a couple of years. My original carport roof is rolled roofing selvage 18" exposure. Been recoating it every couple of years. Next year it will be replaced with rubber roofing.

Thanks a ton Lew.

You might take a weed burner/propane torch with you and use it to dry out any areas you want to patch. Also heat to make the end of the roll lay flat.

Also if you do a short piece and continue with a new roll try to make an angle splice rather than a straight splice, an that give the water a shorter run as it runs down the roof, instead of running down a straight splice.

Herb

25 minutes ago, John Morris said:

Gene, is that a coating for the whole roof? Or just spot repairs?

The whole shebang. Otherwise, just use Henrys tar. Very iffy and ya still got the rest that'll develop leaks.

Just now, Gene Howe said:

The whole shebang. Otherwise, just use Henrys tar. Very iffy and ya still got the rest that'll develop leaks.

Well I need for the whole roof as you alluded to in your suggestion, thanks sir. I was just a tad suspicious because the bucket on your product has the word "Patch" on it, so I was thinking perhaps it's only a spot patch type.

5 minutes ago, Dadio said:

That is good stuff, it will go on just about any surface, wear some coveralls and old shoes.:cowboy:

Herb

That and make sure to mix very well, the solids really separate from the liquid, and it takes a bit of stirring to get it mixed. Figure at least 1/2 hr. to get it stirred well. The stuff is real messy, but seals well.

Edited by Larry Buskirk