Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
John Morris

MWTCA October 2018 'What's It' Project (147-3)

Rate this topic

"What's It" Basic Rules Reminder

(For a full run down on this project and rules please go to: "The Patriot Woodworker and MWTCA "What's It" project")

• Only Patriot Woodworker Members are eligible to participate and receive the award.
  • The MWTCA only accepts a verified source to support your answer, so one should be submitted with your answer, such as a patent, catalog entry, tool book reference, or a respectable website on the subject. Do not let these requirements prevent you from having fun and submitting educated answers on the subject without verification, we can worry about references later. All answers are welcome, as well as healthy debates regarding "What's It".
  • If a verified and referenced answer is not arrived at by the end of each month's "What's It" project, a random draw will be performed for a "One Year MWTCA Club Membership".
  • Only Patriot Woodworker's who participate in this "What's It" topic will be included in the random draw.

Ok ladies and gentlemen, we now have our October "What's it" live and ready!

The image(s) below is a MWTCA "What's It" image for you to research, and tell us all here in this topic post, just what the heck is it!

Project details

The information provided hereon is all the information that is provided, no further information on this item will be added.

Remember, "What's It" is not always woodworking related!

10″ long:

147-3.jpg

147-3a.jpg

hand auger for wooden joint pins...

It is....OLD

Either a form of a wood gimlet or possibly a leather piercing gimlet / stitching tool. The auger end appears one could wrap, guide & feed leather stitching thread.

The "washer" under the brass, knurled nut could be adjusted for thread tension and feed.

Edited by Grandpadave52

Looks like a combination center punch and hand twist drill. Stick is probably on the right track

I'll go with Dave on this one. Since it doesn't appear that the auger is interchangeable, the job it's for must require the same sized hole each use. Leather lacing would fit. 

I thought it may be a variation of a Maple tree tap.  Use the drill for hole depth.  Drive the drift pin in which widens the hole to bottom of drilled hole.  Put bit in and screw end takes it deeper a little and holds it to the tree.  Hang bucket and open brass tap to let sap run.  Close tap to change buckets.  Just don't know it needs a leather carry case.

Antique camera steady for in the woods.  Screw into a tree or pound into the earth.  Attach camera mounting parts, not shown, to brass thumbscrew.  Comes with handy leather carry case.

image.png.e630fc1dddd94bd3390a9cfd4f138317.png

11 hours ago, HandyDan said:

Antique camera steady for in the woods.  Screw into a tree or pound into the earth.  Attach camera mounting parts, not shown, to brass thumbscrew.  Comes with handy leather carry case.

image.png.e630fc1dddd94bd3390a9cfd4f138317.png

Dan the part with the screw does not appear to rotate out far enough to hold a camera.

1 hour ago, Gerald said:

Dan the part with the screw does not appear to rotate out far enough to hold a camera.

Reread my reply Gerald.  I stated some parts are missing.  A link with camera mount would be needed to get the camera mounted.

15 hours ago, Gene Howe said:

I'll go with Dave on this one. Since it doesn't appear that the auger is interchangeable, the job it's for must require the same sized hole each use. Leather lacing would fit. 

Maybe @Kari Hultman could give us some insight if this might have be used in the leather trade??? Perhaps @John Morris could contact her via Facebook?

The references stated for it being some type of woodworking tool, specially a tool that would be used in a shop, just don't jive with me, for only one reason, the carrying case. Why would you need a carrying case for something you would use to drill wood for pins. The carrying case to me, suggests it's something for outdoor use, not necessarily for shop use nor even woodworking. It would be like having a carrying attached to your belt for each chisel you have in the shop, just not practical.

Also, the self tapping screw head, I don't think you would need that for leather work, typically leather work would use the method of punches or pressure tools to create holes etc. Just something that came off the top of my head is all.

I have absolutely nothing beneficial for the sake of saying what this item is, only to say what I think it isn't. :lol:

It was great getting a few more pics this month.  One missing pic would be to give us the scale of this tool.

I also looked at the leather case and wondered about that "belt loop".  Unless this is much smaller than I originally thought, the loop and flap seem to be in the wrong orientation.

Right now I am in Dave's camp on this.

And, I think I have seen something with that sort of self tapping screw end, just can't place it right now...

@Cal, the item is 10" long.

5 hours ago, steven newman said:

Cannoneer's  Touch-hole cleaning tool.    Gunners needed to clear the touch-hole of gunpowder fouling....Bronze Napoleon 12 pounders, Civil War era Cannon. 

That might explain the hammer end... a flint knapping tool! Not for cannon, but perhaps an old-time musket.

John

Yeah, i wouldn't expect a leather case for something like a slide rule, so...

Anyway, have to agree that the loop does not appear to be optimized for the way we wear belts (normally).

I'm going on the keg tapper theory.

21 minutes ago, p_toad said:

I'm going on the keg tapper theory.

I like it, if you google Antique Gimlet Keg Tapper you may find some more inspiration. The drill style is gimlet after all.