Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Rate this topic

Can't say much more, I know a lot of us "met" over there. They just announced they are closing the doors. My own opinion is that they did a lot of things that led to the demise of what was the first forum I had joined, but that's just my opinion.

I'm not surprised. I started my first correspondence there. At first it went fine. There were many contributors, most were fine, some were rude and nasty. That didn't bother me much. The reason I quit was the poor web site and their lack of respect for the participants. They would change the web site at any time and delete anything at anytime, even pictures you may have entered in their vault. Their response was, "You can reenter them"   NO..........and heck no. That is when I looked for and found a much better created and organized site. It was an unexpected pleasure to find out that this site supports our soldiers in such a manner. 

24 minutes ago, Ron Altier said:

I'm not surprised. I started my first correspondence there. At first it went fine. There were many contributors, most were fine, some were rude and nasty. That didn't bother me much. The reason I quit was the poor web site and their lack of respect for the participants. They would change the web site at any time and delete anything at anytime, even pictures you may have entered in their vault. Their response was, "You can reenter them"   NO..........and heck no. That is when I looked for and found a much better created and organized site. It was an unexpected pleasure to find out that this site supports our soldiers in such a manner. 

Thank you Ron, it's wonderful to hear positive remarks about our community here. Now, invite your friends!!:lol:

I've been there (Wood) since the late 90's and Ron's experience is dead on. There platform changes and lack of respect for members (very good way to state it) IMHO was the the start of it's decline. I hung in there, had several heated exchanges with the then-moderator (Marlin Kemmit) over the policies and other aspects...and was basically told "it's my sandbox, if you don't like it go play somewhere else". Even, I'll miss the many folks who still frequent it and the great discussions we had there.

8 hours ago, Ron Altier said:

Ron is spot on.  I was there for some years and sometimes the contributors were flat hateful.  The straw that broke the camel's back was a phone call I received from one of the staff because I "disagreed" with his opinion.  I left after that.  All that being said, it surely is unfortunate to see any woodworking site shut down.  I made lots of friends over there.

1 hour ago, Harry Brink said:

I started over there 8 or 10 years ago. I met some good people there (John Morris, Allen Worsham and John Moody) to name a few.

Most of the others were "my way is the only right way" mentality! You have to do it this way or it's wrong!

When I found John (both of them) and Allen over here I never went back to Wood's forums. Too many nice and helpful people here!

Aww shucks Harry, you just made my day. :)

There is one guy that I do miss and had a lot of respect for. Ralph. Ralph was in his 80s, knew woodworking and would share freely.

He lived in Ohio and I had plans to visit him. However life got in the way and I never made it. Hope he still making a lot of saw dust.

4 hours ago, Gene Howe said:

Hi Harry. Couldn't agree more. 

BTW, great to see your post. How ya been?

Been busy. We've been traveling a little this summer.

Since we retired there doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day to get everything done!

6 hours ago, Ron Altier said:

There is one guy that I do miss and had a lot of respect for. Ralph. Ralph was in his 80s, knew woodworking and would share freely.

He lived in Ohio and I had plans to visit him. However life got in the way and I never made it. Hope he still making a lot of saw dust.

I actually drove down to London , OH to visit with Ralph Jones  for a day.  Wonder how his TV Show went....

I met Ralph at the Columbus WW'ing show a couple of times. He was having some health problems a year or so back, and eventually gave up his daily quiz posting on the forum. He had a great many fans, and was quite a nice guy...very talented woodworker as well. But at the Columbus show he would assist Jim  Heavy (the paid Wood rep) with the demonstrations that went on in the Wood magazine booth. I haven't seen a post from Ralph in several months over at the forum, when he retired form the quizzes he more or less went dark.