Craftsman 20" model 113.236400 scroll saw

Al B

19 hours ago, Smallpatch said:

Any time you are cutting 1/8 or 1/4 or even 3/8" thick wood it helps to stack saw two more pieces together and this is to slow the s awing down and will let you be more accurate.

That is a new tip Jess, and I will remember it.  Thanks for taking the time to give Al all that good info.

18 hours ago, Al B said:

Artie, Just checked Craigslist, Saw the same craftsman saw you have, listed for $65.00. That could pay for a bit of wood for your shop or maybe a small tool. :)

Al the saw was given to me, and I’ve seen too many of them on CL for $25. I’d actually feel like a thief asking for anything over $25 for it.

37 minutes ago, Artie said:

Al the saw was given to me, and I’ve seen too many of them on CL for $25. I’d actually feel like a thief asking for anything over $25 for it.

Hey Artie, Ask $40.00 for it and go away a happy thief. I saw a second saw just like it on Craigslist. Seller was asking $50.00 for that one.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice set up Al and having a comfortable chair makes cutting a lot more enjoyable. Those vacuums are perfect for these machines. Some folks like to keep the blades in plastic test tubes, the hobby stores carry these. I cut the blade # and the maker from the package then slip it into the tube, this helps when reordering.

I have removed my hold down from my saw because it always seemed to get in the way of feeding the blades into the piece. Every now & then when I get a little lazy holding the wood down the blade can grab the wood & bounce it up & down. This can get the heart pumping and reminds me to stay a little more focused.

Straight lines are always the biggest challenge with these saws and the blades play into that. Some blades are stamped and then sharpened and that leads to one side of the blade being more aggressive, you'll notice this when cutting curves clockwise or counterclockwise.

Cutting natural things like trees & leaves gives you time on the saw and get a good feel to what it can & can't do, plus when your finished you have something to show for your practice time. Once you peel the pattern off the wood no-one will know that you drifted off the line.

Hope you enjoy your saw.  

13 hours ago, DuckSoup said:

Nice set up Al and having a comfortable chair makes cutting a lot more enjoyable. Those vacuums are perfect for these machines. Some folks like to keep the blades in plastic test tubes, the hobby stores carry these. I cut the blade # and the maker from the package then slip it into the tube, this helps when reordering.

I have removed my hold down from my saw because it always seemed to get in the way of feeding the blades into the piece. Every now & then when I get a little lazy holding the wood down the blade can grab the wood & bounce it up & down. This can get the heart pumping and reminds me to stay a little more focused.

Straight lines are always the biggest challenge with these saws and the blades play into that. Some blades are stamped and then sharpened and that leads to one side of the blade being more aggressive, you'll notice this when cutting curves clockwise or counterclockwise.

Cutting natural things like trees & leaves gives you time on the saw and get a good feel to what it can & can't do, plus when your finished you have something to show for your practice time. Once you peel the pattern off the wood no-one will know that you drifted off the line.

Hope you enjoy your saw.  

+1, Yeah! What he said!

Artie I have tried all colors and the black is much easier to see for my aged eyes.

I made a blade holder using 1/2" pvc sitting in holes of a 2x6 for at the time money was a concern..and happens to still be a # 1 concern!

Also so the blade holders on the saw don't get in to a habit of letting the blade slip I hold the blade in my hand and ruff up each each end of the blade before inserting it in the machine. I been using 150 or 180 grit for that .

I also save the saw dust to mix with glue. I save all the plastic bottles from the house for something in the shop.

Money is definitely a concern on a fixed retirement income. I had planned to use the kitchen zip lock bags for holding blades, at least for starting out. For model building I always made sanding strips using paint sticks cut about 4" long and 3/8 " wide. Sandpaper is cut 2" long and glued to both sides. Might work well for sanding the blade ends.That fine sawdust should be really handy in a glue mix. Thanks again for all these hints.

Edited by Al B