Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
John Morris

Shopsmith Lathe Chuck (Easy Wood Tools?)

Rate this topic

Give @Jim from Easy Wood Tools a call, I did recently and got educated on what chuck fit my lathe. 

He was most helpful, except for the part about a winning lottery ticket or giving me $3500.  :BangingHead:

Even after told him I was going to spend it at EWT.  :JawDrop:

https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/catalog/nova_g3.htm but better deals can be had by other vendors.  

https://www.rockler.com/nova-g3-insert-chuck?sid=V91040&promo=shopping&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_content=pla&utm_campaign=PL&tid=eg&gclid=CjwKCAiAhJTyBRAvEiwAln2qBy-td8hk_SIzd5yCLKFYw9oMeS0Mh1oUcC2dfvawl6RUkXlryLB6ohoC4E8QAvD_BwE  Browse the page to see that you can purchase the adapter separately.  Also, a variety of jaws are available.  But, you will need the adapter for the Shopsmith with a 5/8" bore with the set screw.  Once you have this adapter, you can get other chucks that fit this adapter.  

There are other sights.  I have this chuck and it is wonderful.  

Edited by FlGatorwood

2 hours ago, Jim from Easy Wood Tools said:

@John Morris sorry for the delay in getting back to you....  This is available from Peachtree WWing Supplies

With this you can use our C1000 Easy Chuck.  Please let me know if there is anything else you need.

Cheers!

Jim

Well that's a wiz bang of a solution, thanks Jim!!!!!

@John Morris,

What type of chuck are you looking for John?

I picked up a 6" Delta 3-Jaw Universal Chuck recently. (Cat No. 46-950)

The vendor had it marked at $50.00, and I asked Lew if that was a good price.

I went back the following day and the vendor had marked all of his stuff down 35%. :D

It even had the correct backplate! :TwoThumbsUp:

No :ph34r: Required!!!

52 minutes ago, Larry Buskirk said:

@John Morris,

What type of chuck are you looking for John?

I picked up a 6" Delta 3-Jaw Universal Chuck recently. (Cat No. 46-950)

The vendor had it marked at $50.00, and I asked Lew if that was a good price.

I went back the following day and the vendor had marked all of his stuff down 35%. :D

It even had the correct backplate! :TwoThumbsUp:

No :ph34r: Required!!!

Thanks Larry, I already have the EWT Chuck, the adapter Jim suggested, is the answer. 

1 hour ago, John Morris said:

Not sure Larry. But the 1000 fits a 1" dia thread 8tpi, and the 2000 fits a 1 1/4" dia thread 8tpi. 

Check here.  They have a wide variety.

https://bestwoodtools.stores.yahoo.net/prstspadwith.html

@John Morris That adapter does not look very sturdy and at under 17 may be the cheap alternative but also might have runout. For adapters the cheap ones usually are not the best but might work for a while and if not doing a lot of turning not a problem.

The adapter is key.  They are available in many places.  The one at Rockler and other places is made for or by Tecknatool?  Just remember, it needs the set screw, 5/8" bore to fit the spindle, and you can pick the thread according to the chuck intended to be used.  

43 minutes ago, John Morris said:

Hey Gerald, are you talking about Jim's suggestion, or Dan's link? Thanks.

The one Jim showed looks a little puny. Also not all extension adapters are created equal in runout. I have a cheap one I used on a Longworth chuck which really showed the runout on a 12 inch piece. I adjusted it with a piece of tape. The best explaination I have ever seen was by Billy Boehme. Basically if the threads are not very tight , ie no slack when tightening then the adapter will have runout. And not all machining are equal on this count. That is the best I can summarize it but is the gist.

27 minutes ago, FlGatorwood said:

The adapter is key.  They are available in many places.  The one at Rockler and other places is made for or by Tecknatool?  Just remember, it needs the set screw, 5/8" bore to fit the spindle, and you can pick the thread according to the chuck intended to be used.  

Here is a note on the setscrew I learned the hard way. Teknatool setscrews have a leather pad so they will not damage threads and spindles. I lost that not knowing what it was for. So to fix the problem I ordered setscrews with brass tips but also made with plastic tips.