Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

The Patriot Woodworkers with Operation Ward 57 Adopt a Wounded Warrior Family for the Holidays - 2019 project is live, please click on link to view our very special annual project.

FrederickH

Castelbuono in Sicily. My next carving/gilding project.

Rate this topic

This is a wonderful project Frederick, and ambitious too, I look forward to your progress report here, I am delving into carving myself, and I am glad to see you here and contribute to our carving forum, thanks Frederick.

Let the progress pics roll!

3 hours ago, FrederickH said:

I'm in the process of sizing this photo, on the printer, and beginning the actual carving of this shell. In doing so, I noticed what appears to be a US $5 bill to the left and behind, the shell. Am I seeing things?????1148256067_L1000407copy.JPG.7fc592538052a2e3b9371fd27360012a.JPG

Oh, in looking at this photo, it seems that the top acanthus leaf formation resembles the human female reproductive system???

Frederick I have a question and maybe you can help. You being a carver and me trying to learn I posted something over on another wood site that I had carved some on and this guy told me wood grain on carvings should run up and down???? But then I noticed on the carving piece you have posted here the wood grain is running horizontal?? So to be a real carver does it make any difference? I want to do it the best I can so which way is right or wrong?

5 minutes ago, Smallpatch said:

Frederick I have a question and maybe you can help. You being a carver and me trying to learn I posted something over on another wood site that I had carved some on and this guy told me wood grain on carvings should run up and down???? But then I noticed on the carving piece you have posted here the wood grain is running horizontal?? So to be a real carver does it make any difference? I want to do it the best I can so which way is right or wrong?

My preference is to always try to carve across the grain for better cuts. I try to determine where most of the cuts will be made and carve accordingly. Now, if the carved piece would be on a piece of furniture, then I'll orient the grain to run in the direction of the grain on the furniture. I'm not a "carver" by any means but this way seems to work for me, with the least tearout to fix. Of course, razor sharp tools always makes the difference.

28 minutes ago, Smallpatch said:

Frederick I do have another question... How long do you think this project will take you and what kind of finish will you put on that, thing a ma jig?

I'm not sure of the time needed because I'll work on it at irregular times. I can let you know when it's finished. As far as the finish goes, I'll seal everything with 3 coats of shellac(rubbed out inbetween coats), then use a yellow-colored gesso, followed by sizing, then apply gold leaf(23k) to the shell. Thanks for your interest.

My carving project is underway. The first challenge was to scale the shell up to an 8" diameter... this was the estimated size from the original. Then came printing a black and white copy of the shell. Since the camera can "distort" the true details, I chose to combine both left sides(flipped) together to produce a symmetrical shell with all of the details. This was taped together, the outlines traced on the 7/4 basswood blank, and then cut out on the scroll/bandsaw. The 2nd photo shows the prototype of the finished shell. I'll have to do some carving to the back of the shell before I can start the front. I'll be studying all of the photos that I've taken in order to proceed with the carving.

L1010377.JPG.4f1fccfff9c1222377d83c99753cddfd.JPG

L1010385.JPG

L1010383.JPG

Edited by FrederickH

Frederick don't you have some end of the day pictures. I'm getting anxious. I always take a picture of each days work to prove to my wife I do something while in the shop.

I think it helps the Patriot site for some never build anything.?????

23 hours ago, Smallpatch said:

Frederick don't you have some end of the day pictures. I'm getting anxious. I always take a picture of each days work to prove to my wife I do something while in the shop.

I think it helps the Patriot site for some never build anything.?????

I always try to take photos of my projects when I complete certain phase of it. I work on things when I have some free time and there might be a week that goes by without anything being done. Today, I'm going to carve the back of the shell and will post a photo or two(hopefully!). If you're looking for photos of projects, I'll try to find some of my other projects to post?

Edited by FrederickH

I've gotten the back of the shell carved. Most of the carving is conjecture but, looking at the front, top, side photos, this should work out. I'll be able to carve some more on the back, once I start the front, because of the way it's put onto the carving arm. The first photo shows some of my "weapons" used for the carving, The second photo shows the Wilton Jr. Powerarm and how I've got the shell/board fixed to it. The last photo shows some of the relief carving that was done to the back. Next up, will be to glue the back, to the carving block, and start to carve the front.

L1010389.JPG

L1010387.JPG

L1010390.JPG

Sorry for not posting anything sooner but the past two weeks have been a bit busy. I did manage to achieve some carving on my shell project BUT the size, as shown, is too small for the details. I'm going to make this shell onto firewood and enlarge my drawing by 50% and go from there. Details will be following.

All right, here's where I'm at with this carving. I went to the local print shop for the enlargement to be made(H=150%= 13"-V=160%=9"), using my original for the first carving, tried to convince the lady that it would fit onto a 12X18" piece of paper(copy sideways), watch while she couldn't figure out to enter/change the data, and then proceed to do everything myself at the copier. The only positive thing that occurred was when she entered 10 copies, instead 2, and I got to keep the 10 while being charged for the 2($1.06). I'm using some older basswood that I got from Lewis K., for this 2nd carving, and must say that the basswood seems to be about twice as dense as what I have been using. Should make for a nicer, crisper carving!!!! I'll get the shape of the shell cut out today and then setup everything onto my carving vise.

L1010407.JPG.f2d41e3b7fce99a9fc058be8a86d7134.JPG

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.