Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Rate this topic

Topic Summary

Created

Last Reply

Replies

Views

Steve Krumanaker -
Stick486 -

Top Posters

25 minutes ago, HandyDan said:

Very nice Steve.  I always wondered how to clean a honey dipper when done with it.  Yours solve that problem.  I like that.

I figured that out when I was a kid, just lick them off.

Those are real "Honeys", Steve. Do you buy the lids or do they give you the lids new to make attach the dipper to.

That is a great idea and looks like a rewarding one too, to see those pretty wood grains pop out.

How do you "engrave" the designs in the tops?

Herb

Edited by Dadio

1 hour ago, lew said:

Nice! I really like the detail on the top of the lid knobs! Was that done with a texturing tool??

Lew, I have a home made version of the "decorating elf" I use. I think it's made by Henry Taylor. A person can make one for a few bucks with hardware bushings and such. Captain Eddie had a video on making one but took it down at their request from what I understand.

1 hour ago, Steve Krumanaker said:

Lew, I have a home made version of the "decorating elf" I use. I think it's made by Henry Taylor. A person can make one for a few bucks with hardware bushings and such. Captain Eddie had a video on making one but took it down at their request from what I understand.

Thanks! I have a couple of Capt.'s bearing/sleeve kits. Looks like the "Elf" is much easier to use than the Sorby texturing tool I have- especially in small spaces.

15 minutes ago, lew said:

Thanks! I have a couple of Capt.'s bearing/sleeve kits. Looks like the "Elf" is much easier to use than the Sorby texturing tool I have- especially in small spaces.

Here you go, this is the one I use most of the time.

elf3.jpg.8e38676f39d353ee564331500284d650.jpg

The extra long ferrule is important so a person can rest it on the tool rest and use their thumb as a fulcrum. Right on center will give kind of a flower pattern and above or below center will spiral in opposite directions. It's small, only 5 or 6 inches long overall.

elf2.jpg.f4c08580251b842fb9402d6556f3b518.jpg

I'm lucky in that there is a store near that sells these carbide burs for cheap. This is the best type and about the only one I use anymore. They are cheap but I learned to take my handle with me as the shafts on the burs can be oversized .

elf1.jpg.b8a9e542be77cd22e5cfe35c58781e10.jpg

It happens that I did a demo on making one of these a few months back. I made this one and then cut it in half to show the members what it looks like inside. The bearing in these is magnetic and they are a press fit and glued into the wood. That's not 100% necessary but it helps to keep the bur from traveling out of the handle in use. No big deal if it does unless it gets lost in shavings. If you have any questions please be sure to let me know.

25 minutes ago, Steve Krumanaker said:

I learned to take my handle with me as the shafts on the burs can be oversized .

Thanks for that information. Looks like I have anew tool to make!!

4 hours ago, Steve Krumanaker said:

Thanks Lew and Dan!

Herb.

I buy the lids from the bee farm that in turn, buys the decorative lids from me. She buys them in a greater volume than I can and so they are much cheaper. I got lucky on the grain with some of these lids, it's really nice. When I first started doing these I just left them plain wood, then I started putting little bees on them by hand. She loved that and asked if I could lettering, well, that's not really a talent I have. I don't need much of an excuse to buy a new a tool and I'd heard about the cheap lasers that were hitting the market. Bought one, taught myself to use  graphics program and use the laser and the rest, as they say, is history. Here's a short clip of the laser doing it's thing.

Steve

That is so cool Steve, Thanks for posting the video. Do you have to wear dark glasses to view the burning?

Herb

Very interesting! A laser is on my want list. (It’s kinda a long list). You have some very beautiful work on display there.

1 hour ago, Dadio said:

Do you have to wear dark glasses to view the burning?

Herb

Herb. Laser safety safety goggles are mandatory. Eye damage is a very real possibility, even from reflected light. Much the same as with arc welding flash.

Steve that is very interesting endeavor . Always love to see what design you will put on them next.