Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
LarryS

Replace Box Sill

Rate this topic

Topic Summary

Created

Last Reply

Replies

Views

LarryS -
Stick486 -
45
769

Top Posters


Recommended Posts

I have to replace the box sill on the house. This is not a load bearing wall.

I have 20' to replace. I'm thinking about replacing 8' at a time with putting a nailer board behind each 2x10 for strength. I don't want to take out the whole 20' at once.

Not sure if the wall will sag alittle while the 8' is being torn out?

Then I would have to toe nail into the box to the bottom of the plywood and wall plate to nail it down again?

I've replaced box sills on load bearing walls before where I had to jack up the floor joist.

Can anyone tell me if this is the way you would do this? Or any other advise?

 

 

Box Sill.jpg

Edited by LarryS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this a basement, or crawl space? Is that CMU block I see going below grade?

Maybe remove the bad sill, fill back in with a stiff sand and cement and bag mix concrete. Then nail heavy strapping onto studs over sheathing every 2nd or 3rd stud and down over concrete  to tie down wall.

The sill is a little close to grade, maybe while you are at it remove a few inches of dirt, if that is possible.

Herb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Dadio said:

Is this a basement, or crawl space? Is that CMU block I see going below grade?

Maybe remove the bad sill, fill back in with a stiff sand and cement and bag mix concrete. Then nail heavy strapping onto studs over sheathing every 2nd or 3rd stud and down over concrete  to tie down wall.

The sill is a little close to grade, maybe while you are at it remove a few inches of dirt, if that is possible.

Herb

It is a crawl space and it is CMU block.

I like the idea of heavy strapping in the studs that way.

I know it's close to grade the whole side of the yard is like that.The house should have been 1 block higher. 

If I take some of the dirt out to lower that by the house I think it would just make a trench and hold more water? Just need to find a good solution to that problem. May have to do some better grading next spring to take care of that problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

raise the house a half inch... the whole 20'... more if you absolutely have to...

replace the rotted sill w/ PT timber rated as follows...

use a bituminous membrane barrier between the block and sill

UC4A, Ground Contact, General Use

UC4B, Ground Contact, Heavy Duty

UC4C, Ground Contact, Extreme Duty

 

big box PT is rated as follows...

UC1, Interior Dry

UC2, Interior Damp

 

these don't fit the mission and are more suited for decks...

UC3A, Exterior Above Ground, Coated with Rapid Water Runoff

UC3B, Exterior Above Ground, Uncoated

 

UC5 and up is marine use rated...

 

This information is required to be posted on each board and is either marked with ink on the board or on a plastic tag that is stapled onto the end of each treated board. 

Edited by Stick486

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, LarryS said:

Just need to find a good solution to that problem. May have to do some better grading next spring to take care of that problem.

a few degrees of slope will be a major help...

you need a minimum of 8'' of space between the dirt and siding...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you use cement, it will flow around the anchor bolts, otherwise you will either have to cut off the anchor bolts or notch the wood plate to slide in under the wall plate. Plus the added concrete is like adding a part of a block. Are the ends of the floor joist or the edge setting on those sills?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Dadio said:

Are the ends of the floor joist or the edge setting on those sills?

WTB that's the rim joist we are looking at...

remove the rim joist...

remove the sill and cut the anchor bolts off..

install new sill..

red head the new sill..

repair the joist ends w/ sisters if there are any perpendicular to the rim joist...

install new rim joist w/ strap ends under the sill...

install/fasten straps to the house..

 

sure wish there was more information on this...

Edited by Stick486

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dadio said:

If you use cement, it will flow around the anchor bolts, otherwise you will either have to cut off the anchor bolts or notch the wood plate to slide in under the wall plate. Plus the added concrete is like adding a part of a block. Are the ends of the floor joist or the edge setting on those sills?

The ends of the all of the floor joists are not on this board. This is a non load bearing wall. The only weight on this sill is the wall. Which I know is alot of weight by it self.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, LarryS said:

This is a non load bearing wall.

it certainly is...

it's holding up the roof...

is this a one or two story house???....

 

8 minutes ago, LarryS said:

The ends of the all of the floor joists are not on this board.

that's a big plus...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you post a better picture of what you're working with?

Such as a side view that shows more of the wall above.

Just seems strange that this is not a load bearing wall.

From what I'm seeing it doesn't look like the wall is even sitting on the sill.

Edited by Larry Buskirk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 minutes ago, Stick486 said:

it certainly is...

it's holding up the roof...

is this a one or two story house???....

 

that's a big plus...

O I know it is holding that part of the roof. That is why I'm being cautious.

 It is a one story

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Larry Buskirk said:

Can you post a better picture of what you're working with?

Such as a side view that shows more of the wall above.

Just seems strange that this is not a load bearing wall.

The load that I'm talking about is the floor joist that are running the same direction and all of the ends of the floor joist to the Header Joist

Maybe Load bearing is not the right word. It is holding up the wall and the roof on that end.

I'm referring to the Outside Joist by this picture. 

 

image.png.8427d879b8d1e01c3e2416d91322cf46.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you know we need to see under that OSB...

what condition is the wall plate in???...

has the mold got into the wall cavities and insulation???...

the rim joist... is it single or double thick???...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Larry Buskirk said:

From your photo it appears that the joist is sitting on the inside edge of the sill.

we're not going to know a lot till we see under that sheathing..

Edited by Stick486

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

48 minutes ago, Larry Buskirk said:

Larry,

Ok you're referring to the outside end joist.

Is this the full length of the wall?

What is the floor in the crawl space?

From your photo it appears that the joist is sitting on the inside edge of the sill.

 

 

It is a crawl space.

The joist is not sitting on the inside of the sill. It is on the outside of the sill.

The space to be removed is a 20' section of a 60' wall. It is a section of the house that was originally a 30' wall before the addition.

 

Box Sill 2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...