Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

The Patriot Woodworkers with Operation Ward 57 Adopt a Wounded Warrior Family for the Holidays - 2019 project is live, please click on link to view our very special annual project.

kmealy

Lowe's Snags Craftsman Tools

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, Marv Rall said:

One brand I respect and use when possible is Makita----seems it remains the only one that has not been sold and resold.

Years ago when the offshore brands started showing up, Makita was the the one that was universally accepted and used by the trades. They were never a cheap price either. I agree with you.

Herb

5 hours ago, Marv Rall said:

One brand I respect and use when possible is Makita----seems it remains the only one that has not been sold and resold.

3 hours ago, Dadio said:

Years ago when the offshore brands started showing up, Makita was the the one that was universally accepted and used by the trades. They were never a cheap price either. I agree with you.

Herb

My first year (2000) as a 3rd Shift Production Supervisor my direct reports gave me a gift card to Menards. I don't remember what other tools I purchased with the card but one item was a Makita 5" H&L, 5 hole on board dust collector. I bought it because I didn't care for any of the other selections but wasn't too keen on buying Makita at the time. As noted it wasn't cheap at the time either. It's worn out hundreds of sanding discs and me on several occasions but still works as well today as when new. If it fails before I do, I'll certainly consider another.

On 6/14/2018 at 4:12 PM, HandyDan said:

I was at Lowes the other day.  They had a Craftsman tool box on wheels and some flash lights.  The Kobalt Brand was still there and not on close out sale.

Have a feeling Lowe's are going to underprice Sears on Craftsman offerings.

7 minutes ago, HandyDan said:

Was at Lowes today.  Big appliance sale.  Maybe they are getting Kenmore.

Could be...last I knew Kenmore brand will likely be offered for sale. Sears cut their decades long contract with Whirlpool a few months back. I've yet to see who is/will be making Kenmore Appliances if anyone.

1 hour ago, kmealy said:

Have a feeling Lowe's are going to underprice Sears on Craftsman offerings.

Will be interesting to see...thus far that has not occurred with Ace Hardware's (at least here) but primarily has been prior to Stanley/B&D obtaining Craftsman brand. received a sale circular from our local Ace a couple of days ago...Craftsman stuff shown pretty much same price as the Sears sale circular received today.

Sears was top of the list ........years ago. Quality slipped, tools failed, and better competition developed. When I now think woodworking tools, I think of the ones you see at Lowes or HD (both give a 10% discount to vets). I'm sure Sears has not been in a position to invest in newer/better tools. By the time you read this, Sears may be history.

On 6/22/2018 at 9:12 PM, Grandpadave52 said:

But a Timex "takes a licking and keeps on ticking":P That is if you can find it:lol:

This is just wrong...yup, wrong! I hate to admit this, but I remember that commercial...and the one where they strapped one to a snow ski and all of the others that were similar...thanks a lot, Herb!

37 minutes ago, Ron Altier said:

Sears was top of the list ........years ago. Quality slipped, tools failed, and better competition developed. When I now think woodworking tools, I think of the ones you see at Lowes or HD (both give a 10% discount to vets). I'm sure Sears has not been in a position to invest in newer/better tools. By the time you read this, Sears may be history.

I stopped patronizing Sears a couple of years ago. I have not set foot in a store since.

I got tired of their crappy products, lack of customer service, and their failures to honor their warranties.

8 hours ago, schnewj said:

I got tired of their crappy products, lack of customer service, and their failures to honor their warranties.

Yep, yep & yep...all the above. Must be their Mission Statement and Core Values while their CEO personally rakes in millions.

The closest Sears to us is over 100 miles away. Dunno if it's still open. Same distance for Target. Don't buy much from our Walmart. There is a JC Penny within 30 miles. My wife does a bit of shopping there. My only purchase there is underwear. Amazon is my go to for almost all purchases. Even bought some underwear there recently. Buying through Amazon is so convenient and, considering gas prices, somewhat less expensive. But if Ace has what I need, they will always be my first choice for hardware, some tools and cleaning supplies. 

Then, there's always HF.:D

Edited by Gene Howe