Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

The Patriot Woodworkers with Operation Ward 57 Adopt a Wounded Warrior Family for the Holidays - 2019 project is live, please click on link to view our very special annual project.

stevem

New Member who is really into the Oldies

Rate this topic

just a teaser for starters, ive been collecting restoring and using old machinery in my shop for several years

these are my two oldest, 100 yr old crescent 20 and an old compressor nicknamed the "titanic", age unknown

most of my "oldies" are from the 40's and 50's, Canadian beavers, craftmaster(not craftsman!), deltas and some others

001.JPG

001.JPG

Two cool pieces!  I love the compressor because it screams, "I can take anything you throw at me."  I have to ask about its weight.  How heavy is it Steve?

no idea as to the weight, has to 200 ponds plus, the steel tank 1/4 inch thick, those rivets are over an inch in diameter since this pictre was taken ive replaced the motor with a much older ge and redid the plumbing

the bandsaw is my favourite, Babbitt bearings, stepped wheels with no tyres, 1930's delta RI 1 hp motor, it needs  couple of new pictures taken too

just a teaser for starters, ive been collecting restoring and using old machinery in my shop for several years

these are my two oldest, 100 yr old crescent 20 and an old compressor nicknamed the "titanic", age unknown

most of my "oldies" are from the 40's and 50's, Canadian beavers, craftmaster(not craftsman!), deltas and some others

001.JPG

001.JPG

Love both pieces but more so the Band Saw which could still be used easily.  I'd be a little concerned about the pressure vessel on the air compressor.  I'd be wanting to have it get a "Hydro" before using it.  Older rivetted pressure vessels can (and sometimes DO) leak.  In any case both are GREAT pieces.

there have been some changes to both machines since the pics were taken

like I said the motor is now a much older ge, the entire system has been reversed, manifold on the front, belt drive on the back.  the old riveted tank has been taken out of the system(still there of course but not plumbed in.  the titanic now charges up an 8 gallon portable compressor but im going to hook it up to a modern 20 gallon tank remotely mounted.  the old pump will put out around 150 psi, air flow unknown yet.  very quiet running, warm but not hot.  still needs a drain in the water/oil separator, check valve and a new pressure release valve(not the safety valve, its there and works).  the crappy wiring is gone(nmd 90 and an appliance cord!!).  had to reset the pressure switch and adjust the old guage.

the bandsaw has also seen some changes.  added an auxiliary table, blade guard for the offside, and a mechanical remote for the motor mounted switch(steel rod and brass knob).  the single upper guide has been replaced with a much smaller version and the big ugly one is now under the table

I have lots of other pics, here's just a few, the guide shown was a prototype, a more elegant one is now installed

004.JPG

001.JPG

003 (2).JPG

001 (3).JPG

042.JPG

a new pic of the titanic, new old motor(ge cap start 1/2 hp), still some plumbing to do, pump and motor have been turned around, neat old guage repaired

the blue hose runs to the 8 gal portable screamer

001 (3).JPG

Love the Cast Iron base on the Compressor.  More detail on this side of the compressor than the other side which the original posting picture showed.   Glad you're not taking a chance on the pressure vessel  Neat to keep it  as part of the compressor  It IS neat.

I agree, I'm a woodworker as well as a old tool guy, upgrades and finishing touches are underway with the bandsaw

I do have some more pics from during the rebuild process, I will post them if there's interest

here's the pic from the ad on kijiji(Canadian version of cl)

see the big bolt under the lower wheel? that connected the crappy motormount to the saw, he had a 1/2 hp running the saw at 800 fpm

so filled the holes, filed a ton of cast at the main joint between the casting halves, fillers and paint and it looks better than new

I will post more pics of what im doing to it to make it safer but still keep the 1900's feel

btw, this is a lightweight, I figure about 300 pounds without the motor, my motor is a 1 hp delta ri, gotta be 60 lbs and im running the saw at around 3000 fpm, blade length is 10 ft 2 inches(122 inches)

$_35.jpg

Edited by stevem

the latest up grades, nothing serious, just a couple of guards

in the last pic you can see the steel rod from the motor mounted switch, this rod ends with the brass knob shown earlier

it was a long restoration/rehab.  I brought this home last September, of course then winter arrived so no bondo/sanding inside for three months.  no mechanical problems to speak of, babbit was in good shape everywhere, fabbing the upper guide was easy, just lots of filing, filling and sanding

1002.JPG

1003.JPG

1004.JPG

1006.JPG

1005.JPG

Edited by stevem