Shop Expansion Part 4

As I said, with the heat and humidity here, I have been working a little and cooling and resting a lot on this. My son and wife have both helped at times but for the most part I have been by myself on this one.

Today I got the last of the interior walls framed and in place. I have left off the last two studs closest to the building so I would have a walkway while working on it. Keeps me from having to go all the way around each time I need something.

Walls all framed.jpg

The room on the west end of the building will be a finishing room.

Future Finishing Room.jpg

There will be a set of French Doors here and I will open up a window on the front side. I want to let in as much natural light as possible. When it is closed in there will be a double door coming into the room from inside the shop. So I can move from assemble to finishing and then out the double door for delivery or pickup.

Future storage and DC Room.jpg

The room here in the middle will be for lumber staging and house the Dust Collector and Air Compressor. I want to get them located out of the shop for noise and dust reasons.

Future Office.jpg

The room on the end will be an office. A place to keep paperwork and to meet with clients when they come by without having to sit on a stool in the sawdust of the shop.

And as things seem to go, the doors and windows were ordered and came in today. Both sets of French Doors were damaged and they are sending new ones. I wasn't really ready yet anyway so it won't hold me up right now. 

I will need a couple of good cooler, dry days to start on the roof. I will open up the roof to the shop to attach the rafters to the current ones. Don't want to leave it open too long and get rain in the shop.

So till the next update, this is what I have so far.

2 hours ago, lew said:

Excellent progress despite the heat and humidity. Love the french door idea.

Thanks Lew. We thought it would give us a lot of light in the finish room. The ones in the storage room only have six panels at the top. They are metal doors, insulated with low E glass.

There will be a window on the long wall in the finish room and one in the office to balance it out. The two windows are 36"x36" double hung windows with the same low E glass.

57 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

It's coming right along, John. I look forward to your progress pix. 

Hope it gets cooler for you. 

Thanks Gene. I hope I'm not boring anyone with the pictures. I like to show progress and it documents it for me also. I'm going to need several good clear days to open the roof and get the rafters down.