Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'bailey'.
Found 4 results
From the depths of the "Dungeon Warehouse Basement" in Milwaukee Wisconsin, we have this "Poor Soul" of a Stanley Bailey No. 22 Smoothing Plane. This "Poor Soul" spent the last few years in the bottom drawer of a filing cabinet that was in the basement of a warehouse in Milwaukee that flooded 4 or 5 years ago. There were several planes in this drawer, and this one survived in the best condition. I did a little research, and found that Stanley made these planes from 1870-1943. I believe this one dates from the end years of production due to the Stanley Tools decal on the side of the wood sole. I couldn't quite make the decal out, but I believe this photo from ebay is what it's supposed to look like. As you can imagine having been submerged is going to make this one a bit of fun to bring back. I'm in the process now of trying to dry the Boxwood sole out without it totally splitting, etc. I found during my research, that this is not one of the popular "Collector" planes, but I'm going to give restoring it a go anyway. The price was right $0.00, so I won't lose anything trying. This will be my first attempt at restoring a hand plane, so I may as well start out with a good challenge. So any advice from the "Plane Experts" in going about saving this "Poor Soul" will be appreciated. Larry Old Woodworking Machinery Forum Host
All the sanding dust had to go somewhere, but why on my planes? After I finished a glue up, I gave a few a wipe down.. Yep, that is a clothes dryer back there, and they are sitting on a hamper. I have to share space with the Laundry room. Front to rear: Ohio Tool Co. No. 0-7 ( smooth sole) and a pair of Stanley No. 7c, type 9 jointers. The one in back has "loaner" handles, until I can afford the Rosewood ones. The other jointer in the shop.. Is what Stanley called a Small Jointer.....No.6c, type 10. Lot of weight here, so I had better put them away, until needed. The 0-7 is marked on the toe of the plane, the rest have theirs on the rear porch.. I seem to recall Ohio using mahogany for their handles, Stanley at this time was using Rosewood. Just a look at the shop's cordless jointers...
The sargent #414 just needed a hone and a clean up. The Bailey #5 Type 11 needed a wee bit more work. It had a crack in the side, wrong lever cap, and a bit of rust. Lever cap was changed out with a one I had in the "spares" box. That crack took a trip to Wallie-world. Brought home a tube of Loc-tite epoxy for metal. Dremel made a "V" groove along the crack. Applied a bead to both the inside and outside of the crack. Let it set for over a day. Beltsander to flatten the area back to smooth. Area is now stable, but doesn't "hide' the crack. Sole was flattened a bit as well. All the other parts were cleaned up. And now, the "Reveal" The Left side, without the crack. And the right side, with the epoxied crack. The "gap' under the plane is from the curved counter top. next a look at the back. Some paint is still on the woodworks. Wood is Rosewood. And the flattened sole Finally, the frontend With a more correct lever cap... Still need to hone the iron. Sargent is also completed, and working...