Looking For a Recommendation

lew

When I had a day job, we had to have respirators on our person at all times on the operating floor. I used 2 from my employer, a North 7700-30 and  3M 6200. It's easy for me to find filters for them, and they still fit and function quite well. We (at work) had to be fit tested once a year to make sure we had the right size. Which brings me to the 2 things I think are more important than the brand. They have to fit properly, no leaks when you breathe in. You also have to be able to easily get replacement filters. The fit test I mentioned was mostly moving your head in all sorts of directions while speaking....somehow from that the hygienist was able to determine the mask fit.

16 minutes ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

When I had a day job, we had to have respirators on our person at all times on the operating floor. I used 2 from my employer, a North 7700-30 and  3M 6200. It's easy for me to find filters for them, and they still fit and function quite well. We (at work) had to be fit tested once a year to make sure we had the right size. Which brings me to the 2 things I think are more important than the brand. They have to fit properly, no leaks when you breathe in. You also have to be able to easily get replacement filters. The fit test I mentioned was mostly moving your head in all sorts of directions while speaking....somehow from that the hygienist was able to determine the mask fit.

Thanks, Fred. Before she retired from the hospital, Mimi had to go thru the same thing. I'm looking at that "Trend" device but it seems to have a lot of negative reviews.

I think all of them leak.  I can't see how they can be perfect.  I use this one and see dust in the mask and clean it out once in awhile.  I never feel as though it has failed to do the job.  It is important to change filters when needed.  I changed mine a few weeks ago and a good amount of dust came out of the old ones when I hit them on the table.  I was surprised with the amount of dust that came out and am going to change them more often.  I guess with the light color of the wood they don't get to looking dirty. The filters are readily available through Amazon too.  These have a large filter area with the pleated filters which is important.

image.png.90ae3ff4ff6f1308dddefbe1daf838d9.png                    image.png.5430fa5ccc17c16fa39d834822e18345.png

The guys who had facial hair at our plant had to use the hooded type of respirator. The major complaint about them (the ones we used) was the weight. If you wore it for any length of time it got to be a pain in the neck...literally. The trend may be lighter than the ones we used, though.

I have one by Lee Valley but it is not a favorite . Works well and fits under shield.

image.png.22c5b394d76006d919c425b77b41326c.png

My preference for shop sanding is the RZ with two elastic straps but I do not see on website now. I think you have to clean those flaps but they do wear out and they sell replacements.

Now as to on lathe I use a Trend Airshield Pro. I like it but do wish it had lithium batteries. No it is not a top of the line filter but I do not cough or have bad effects when I use it. Take a look at https://pekesafety.com/collections/respirators-and-dust-masks/products/powercap-active-particulate-papr

It has lithium battery and the guys in the club have said it lasts 8 hours. Several bought these at SWAT recently.

Just now, FlGatorwood said:

Lew, is that a Harbor Freight issue?  I was looking at one the other day and wondered how it worked.  

No, I got it off of Amazon at the beginning of the pandemic- before they said about the one way valves. I found the ear loops really interfered with my hearing aids. I added an elastic head strap arrangement and cut off the ear loops. 

I have the Trendaire and really like it. It filters well and is comfortable. Not sure what the negative reviews are but one issue was the battery pack which didn't last long enough between charges and added weight to it which after a few hours bothered my neck. I took out the battery pack and wired in a larger battery pack that I wear on my belt which solved both issues. 

Paul

I recently added one of these to the line up.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K15G1F6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1  with this accessory

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0069U34B2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yes it is expensive.  It is absolutely comfortable to wear.  Cool clean air blowing gently on your face.  NOT SWEATY.  Hearing protection, head protection, and face protection.  Works well with high collar turning smock... no chips down your shirt.  Plenty of room for glasses too

Replaceable peel off visor covers make it easy to take care of. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076HZ113S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! I did get that one. I have a thin face so I bought the S/M size. Seals well, easy to breathe thru and very lightweight. The straps don't get tangled with my hearing aids.

I thought this would be useable anywhere in the shop rather than just at the lathe.

Doctor said I probably had a sinus infection- week regiment of antibiotics (and sitting on the toilet) :o