December 6, 20205 yr Popular Post comment_250168 Awhile back came across a sweet deal on a WEN 12 inch variable speed Drill Press. A nice upgrade to my 8 inch, but smaller than my full size 17 1/2 in JET. So I put it next to the small 8 inch for last couple months while I decided on how I liked, or did not like the height of it. I prefer the height of the JET as far as where the quill sits. With the WEN sitting on this bench the quill is staring me in the face. Kinda hard for a short guy to use. This is how it looks with taller cabinet. So I set about making a new shorter cabinet. Did a dry fit and all looked good. Finished the insides before assembly. Then moved on to the top. So now the face frame is all assembled and fitted nicely. Some hand plane work and then bit of sanding. Put is all together for a dry fit, came out nice. Decided now would be a good time to check for fitting where it belongs. Hit the mark right on for height. Next is to move old cabinet out of way and see how the new one fits. Spot on. Put the WEN on the table and now to see if my measurements are true for lining up the quill to the quill on the JET. Not exactly on, off by maybe 3/16's. I can work with that. Now here is the dilemma. This is how it looks with the WEN centered on the cabinet. Plenty of room, access to both DP's all around. \ But stick the little guy back in the mix and we are slam full. I raised the little guy up so the quills all matched height. View from other side. Do I NEED 3 drill presses?? Certainly is nice but need, nah the new guy is more than up to the task and it is Variable speed. I rarely part with equipment preferring to expand my capability rather than sell a piece of equipment off. For giggles I put the small DP on the graffiti cabinet next to it and that is not working for me. Hard to access the cabinet behind. No further space exist large enough to accommodate the small guy. Hate to part with equipment and the extra capability but at some point hey, maybe this ain't gonna work? Maybe @Cal needs a small 8 inch DP????? Any ideas or suggestions?? Report
December 6, 20205 yr Popular Post comment_250169 6 minutes ago, Gunny said: Any ideas or suggestions?? ...I think you need a couple more drill presses. Report
December 6, 20205 yr Popular Post comment_250170 Put it in the kitchen, label it apple corer/potato peeler. Report
December 6, 20205 yr Author Popular Post comment_250171 1 minute ago, Artie said: Put it in the kitchen, label it apple corer/potato peeler. Access to the Kitchen requires a Top Secret Need to Know Clearance I do not appear to have. Tried to get my own beer awhile back and she went nuts like I was gonna find out she is making crack or something in there. Report
December 7, 20205 yr Popular Post comment_250209 7 hours ago, HandyDan said: @Gunny...See how that works! Report
December 7, 20205 yr Popular Post comment_250211 Great job on the cabinetry. Sending you a PM Gunny! Edited December 7, 20205 yr by Cal Report
December 7, 20205 yr Popular Post comment_250242 When we moved here 20 years ago I gave away a tabletop Craftsman DP since I had a floor model Delta. Several times since I have wished I kept it , but where would I put it? Good job on the match up. Report
December 7, 20205 yr Popular Post comment_250248 Around here we keep finding them "Curb Shopping" ...Now if someone would just put out machines I need parts for. Report
December 7, 20205 yr Popular Post comment_250289 2 hours ago, Gunny said: It's going to a good home. ...Wife didn't want a new mixer? Report
December 7, 20205 yr Author Popular Post comment_250290 Just now, Larry Buskirk said: ...Wife didn't want a new mixer? Nope said she likes hers better. Report
December 8, 20205 yr Author Popular Post comment_250345 Having the finishing room and having the lazy Susan on the bench is great. Put the cabinet upside-down and got a coat of finish on. Nice and easy. Report
December 16, 20205 yr Author Popular Post comment_251399 Moving forward. Edited December 16, 20205 yr by Gunny Report
December 17, 20205 yr Author Popular Post comment_251421 2 hours ago, Gene Howe said: Very nicely done. What's the plan for the top? My WEN 12 inch Benchtop Drill press goes on top. Once mounted the quill will be the same height as my JET 17 inch floor model. The other cabinet I had here was 7 inches taller. Put the quill at my eye level. Really didn't like being that close to the work. Have two nice 1/2 bolts to hold it fast to the top. Top has 16 screws holding it to the frame. Doubtful it will separate. Does roll really good though. Report
December 17, 20205 yr Popular Post comment_251425 On 12/6/2020 at 6:07 PM, Artie said: Tell her it’s her Christmas present What?... and go through ANOTHER messy divorce??? Report
December 17, 20205 yr Author Popular Post comment_251462 13 hours ago, Gene Howe said: Very nicely done. What's the plan for the top? Like this. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.