Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

The Few, The Proud, The Patriot Woodworker's! Make no bones about it, we aren't many, but we are very proud of our community here!

John Morris

Good Monday Morning Patriot Woodworkers! September 14, 2020

Rate this topic

Happy belated birthday wish to Phyllis.  

@PostalTom, I am so sorry for your loss.  

Got the yard mowed before the Hurricane Sally came to visit.  They are expecting between 10 to 30 inches of rain.  It will be wet for some time.  I was going to turn today, but our electricity is sporadic.  There will be other days.  

The only 2 metal lathes I ever saw operate were in Cleveland, OH back in 1967-1968 and they all turned slowly as they were turning fittings.  If someone wants a lathe, they should figure out how much income they could make to pay for it.  That's the way it has always been for me and I have made it work a few times.  Those things are heavy and there is much metal shavings to dump somewhere or recycle.  Sorry, this doesn't sound very kind, but it's the best I could do at the moment.  

1 hour ago, junglejohn said:

What an embarrassing mistake. My, belated, birthday wishes were meant for Gene's wife Phyllis. But I had you and your Denise in mind at the time. It kind of stuck with me my friend.  

No worries John.  At least from my end.

4 hours ago, FlGatorwood said:

Happy belated birthday wish to Phyllis.  

@PostalTom, I am so sorry for your loss.  

Got the yard mowed before the Hurricane Sally came to visit.  They are expecting between 10 to 30 inches of rain.  It will be wet for some time.  I was going to turn today, but our electricity is sporadic.  There will be other days. .  

Too bad we can't move some of that rain to the west coast.

Well I can say I'm pleasantly pleased and impressed with the mid sized EWT rougher I love it.  Cuts through wood like a hot knife through butter.  I've been using it most of the day today.   Hopefully the smoke goes away soon its givin me a headache.  Looking forward to getting brand new gutters on Saturday hopefully.

On 9/14/2020 at 5:09 AM, Cal said:

You come up with some of the coolest danged featured images each week John!

Why thanks Cal, glad ya liked it!

If you'd like, shoot me a copy of his DD214 by private message and I'll see if I can decipher it.

6 minutes ago, John Morris said:

If you'd like, shoot me a copy of his DD214 by private message and I'll see if I can decipher it.

Thanks John, you can expect a PM shortly.  I really appreciate it.

@Gene Howe - a belated happy birthday to Phyllis.  Glad to hear that she had a good one!

@PostalTom - I am very sorry for your loss.  Words fail me at the moment:(

@FlGatorwood - hunker down Steve!  I hope that you are on some high ground, or what may pass as high ground in your area.  Looks like you may get the worsts of this storm.  Projected path takes it right through middle Georgia.  Maybe this is the rain you tried to send us a few weeks ago?  In 1994 a storm came through Georgia like this and really slowed down in west Georgia, dumping some 20+ inches of rain in some areas.  That one caused major flooding in middle and south Georgia.  We can use the rain, but I do hope the storm just passes through and doesn't linger.

1 hour ago, Cal said:

@PostalTom - I am very sorry for your loss.  Words fail me at the moment:(

Thanks Cal.  I was trying to tough it out on my own, but I just decided it was time to reach out and maybe get some support.  Thanks again.

BTW, I'm not trolling for sympathy here, just expressing appreciation for the kind words.

Edited by PostalTom
Added a thought.

23 hours ago, PostalTom said:

I had 44 years with my Denise.  Lost her on Christmas Eve last year.  

I'm sorry to hear that, Tom (haven't figured out the tags yet.)

We're at 49 years and counting.  Whenever I look at my wife I think of that song "My Cup Runneth Over" - I like the Perry Como version the best.

Hey, @Postal Tom, I spent a couple of years in Wichita while in the Air Force at McConnell AFB. The airbase got it's name while I was there. When I got there  the commercial planes still used the same runways along with Boeing on one side and the Air Base along the opposite side. The Wichita municipal airport was built during that time I spent there.

Hi Al.  I spent the last 7 years of my AF career at McConnell, and retired from there.  When I got here from Homestead FL, we were flying B-1Bs.  Now they are flying the KC-46 tankers, and I'm not sure if there are any more KC-135s left here.  A lot has changed since you were here, and even since I retired from there in 1994.

On 9/14/2020 at 7:09 AM, Cal said:

On a related issue, I have a copy of my brothers DD214.  Like a good many veterans I know and have known, he never talked much about his service time.  I would like to understand his service better and would appreciate it if someone could tell me what some of it means.  My own DD214 is pretty simple.

Cal check this out and see if this is the info you want: How to read a DD214

When I was there, we were flying B-47's, and Boeing  was doing test flights on the B-52. That was way back in 53-55. Did a lot of roller skate dancing while there. Wonder if that rink is still there?  Almost decided to stay there after I left the Air Force, but finally decided to comeback to New England. Much more scenic around here.